New to Chaos

Hi there, I’m new to chaos and I’m keen to start building my own force. I’ve been playing around on battle scribe for a while to see unit profiles and points cost. I’ve got a few favourite units that I like for mostly for they’re aesthetics. But once I’ve got them in the roster. They don’t make up enough detachments to build CP. Now I’m

not rushing to take this into competitive play, I’m more interested casual, but I want the force to stand its ground and not get swept away.

That said, here’s a short list of units I’m keen to get.

Abaddon

Berserkers

Maulerfiends

Lord of discordant

The problems I’m having are the berserkers are only troop choice for world eaters, but Abaddon is locked into black legion. I could go down the vanguard route, I’d prefer a battalion and I’m not sold on cultists or marines.

Do I go for black legion vanguard? (Ab + bers)

Or do I go for world eaters battalion + black legion detachment?

I’m a keen converter and I’ve got a few ideas in mind to build my own berserkers. I’d love to see any conversions you have made for them.

Finally, what would be good suggestions for filling out a 2000 point list?

A Battalion is best generally yes, as those CP are very useful and your army can make good use of them regardless of Legion. If you're set on Berzerkers then unfortunately there's only one way for you to take them as Troops so having WE as your main Battalion with supporting BL is probably the better way to go. The good thing is the models are what counts so you won't be stuck with your detachments so can change things around later :smile.:

I'd suggest getting to work on your models first, you might find your mind changing or setting once you get going with the army and since you can't use any detachment until you have the models there's no need to worry about it too much yet :wink:

Welcome!

Don't have much to say, as I'd be repeating WarriorFish above me.

That being said, I'd also recommend holding off on Berzerkers because their models are ancient, :cuss ugly (better for the bits than the models themselves), and are likely due for an update within this year.

That’s good advice warriorfish, I’ll go for black legion and world eaters soup. :) perhaps a WE battalion with a BL spear head?

What would be best to accompany adaddon? I was looking at havocs since they can move and shoot without penalty to heavy weapons.

Thanks for the heads up Gederas, I know what you mean about the berserkers models, they’re hard to love. I was looking at converting the blokes warriors from AoS. Alternatively, 1D4CHAN wrote that the new CSM kit looks good when converted with axes and khorne heads.

Edited by IronDreddKnight

Thanks for the heads up Gederas, I know what you mean about the berserkers models, they’re hard to love. I was looking at converting the blokes warriors from AoS. Alternatively, 1D4CHAN wrote that the new CSM kit looks good when converted with axes and khorne heads.

Yeah, they look perfectly fine with AoS parts on them, as Krautscientist has shown:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-11.jpg

I've used the Blood Warriors with Mark III legs to make my Berzerkers, but I don't recommend doing that a large amount of times, as the price adds up quickly unless you have somewhere you can get them on discount:

HYWgLMi.jpg

2buVS7z.jpg

TIWotKF.jpg

DlP6LlN.jpg

I did 3 squads of 8 for my World Eaters and stopped because I realized that it's like, 110 dollars a minimum for each squad.....

So long as they look angry and have some suitably Chaos and Khornate bits on they'll work as Berzerkers - the new CSM models should make for a good base :)

Abaddon is pretty mean in combat but his aura skills are what can really have far reaching impact, so anything to get the most from that would do well :tu:

Yeah, they look perfectly fine with AoS parts on them, as Krautscientist has shown:new-we-kitbashes-wip-11.jpg

I've used the Blood Warriors with Mark III legs to make my Berzerkers, but I don't recommend doing that a large amount of times, as the price adds up quickly unless you have somewhere you can get them on discount:

HYWgLMi.jpg

2buVS7z.jpg

TIWotKF.jpg

DlP6LlN.jpg

I did 3 squads of 8 for my World Eaters and stopped because I realized that it's like, 110 dollars a minimum for each squad.....

Those berserkers look fantastic! I think I’ll try and replicate them, I’m now considering only building 20 berserkers as like you said, the parts can make the price build up.

I’m thinking a WE battalion of 1x9 and 2x5 berserkers in 2 rhinos. An exalted champion can ride with the 9. I’m thinking a daemon prince with talons to complete detachment.

This will give me another 5cp which is decent to be getting on with. I’m looking at 2 spear heads after that. Lord disco + 2 mauler with a single obliterator. The other will have Abaddon + 2 havoc units (all reaper autocannons if I can get the parts) with another single obliterator to complete.

How am I looking? Am I Chaos wrong?

Thank you for the advice so far everyone, it’s made things a lot easier to decide how I’m building this army :)

I’ve got a couple more questions, since I don’t have a codex yet (and I’m working from battle scribe ) I can’t find the rules for the chaos marks, what do they exactly?

Starting with what you have is always a good idea, otherwise whatever your list needs next :tu: Probably best to go for the Berzerkers as you need more of them, and it's good to get the bread and butter of a list done so you can use the fancy/different models as breaks or rewards :)

Gederas has you covered here but you may find this thread useful for conversion ideas.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357048-modernized-khorne-berzerkers-thread/