Stalker Tanks

Let's take a look at the Stalker tank. In the current state of play, do we think collectively (and individually) it is worth while?

I've always liked the look of the thing and the rules seem to finally have been connected with the points cost sufficiently.

6 shots per models that are all Autcannon stats, on a Toughness 8 platform, seems pretty good for 95pts. Having the benefit of a Strategum against models with the Fly keyword is also going to cause problems, especially if the vehicle isn't T8.

The major drawback for me in 8th edition was the penalty to hit for shooting at targets that didn't have the fly keyword. Although there are many armies replete with models with fly, when points are tight and your Marine list requires every unit to perform as well as possible in a close game, the penalty to hit came be painful.

However, there are some great options for the Stalker to be more utilitarian and thus effective for its investment. All Chapters can make use of the Chapter Master, which is a big investment if you're only using the re-rolls on 2 Stalkers but if said vehicles are benefiting along with something else then it's a no brainer.

Other options include Chapter specific benefits or characters too, such as various special characters and Relics like the Seal of Oath. Ultramarines are particularly spoilt for choice here since they get a few Strategums that assist these vehicles as well.

Chaplains can give a single Stalker +1 to hit which isn't terrible though I suspect you'd like to use that on a Repulsor, Land Raider, Devastator squad or Hellblasters.

Finally we have the Master of the Forge with the Warlord Trait Master of the Machine, that all Chapters can utilise. Granting +1 to hit to both vehicles are once directly compensate when targeting units with the Fly keyword. The major benefit of the Master of the Forge is hanging around with a parking lot of vehicles blasting away won't waste the other potentials of the character, who is cheapest in the army and there to fix vehicles anyway.

I intend to trial these vehicles further this year alongside a Master of the Forge and suspect their use will be more substantial than most give credit for.

I'm feeling that 2 of them, next to a Master of the Forge, will provide 12 shots that do serious work against most targets. Of course we will need to ensure we have anti-tank elsewhere in the list as relying on these dudes against Knights might be a challenge.

Starting in Devastator Doctrine makes these all the more useful too.

I’ve just painted up one of these for my brigade list. I’m going to take it to the UKGT finals this weekend, so we’ll see how it gets on.

Ultimately I doubt it’s a super-powerful unit, but it has its uses. It’s deadly to flyers (and many, many units in today’s meta fly) but can also be a useful objective sitter. T8 is quite a lot, so for most people it won’t be trivial to get rid of. I'm taking it and a couple of eliminator squads as my heavy support, kind of counting on the rubbish terrain at warhammer world to mean I don't need TFCs. And also my 3 invictors to just go and punch people's mortars... hopefully.

Well that was interesting. I was at the finals of the UKGT this weekend, but had to leave early because of trains being all messed up and an early start I've got for work tomorrow. Was 3:1 after 4 games, having lost to Simon's Tau in game 4.

I did get to use my stalker. It shot at things that fly, using the skyfire stratagem, with pretty spectacular results. Against Eldar it took out a night spinner with a single attack and then against Tau it killed a squadron of 3 piranhas, thanks to rolling 3 6s to wound. My Eldar opponent chose to deep strike his 3 planes rather than have them on the board with it.

I also played a couple of games against people with nothing that could fly, which obviously made it significantly less good. It still chipped wounds off knights, shot a few intercessors and centurions, and was a useful objective-sitter.

Overall I think that this is a great heavy support option for anyone using Fists. For anyone else it's probably not bad, but it's not spectacular. And of course, for Fists, it competes against Whirlwinds, centurions and TFCs - all of which are fantastic.

Edited by Mandragola