1k Campaign Listbuilding

Boyadventurer

Hey all,

We've got a 1k campaign starting up in my group using the custom character and battle honour rules from CA and as I've been mulling over what to take to expand on my core I thought I should reach out and see what others think.

It's a narrative campaign, but we're still assuming people are going to go tryhard with their lists. My opponents would be Death Guard, CSM (likely Black Legion), Tau, and Nids. The mission objectives themselves are secret til the day of, but we get to choose a secondary from: Warlord, Linebreaker, Kill 3 Monster/vehicle, Kill 3 units in a turn, cap all objectives. We also can roll 4 times on the custom character charts, or choose one and roll one.

So far my list includes:

Chaplain dread (Warlord) w/ twin lascannon, likely going to choose Auto Loader custom trait.

5x Auto bolt rifle intercessors, 2x aggressors

5x Auto bolt rifle intercessors, 2x aggressors

5x Stalker bolt rifle intercessors, 1x aggressor

3x Eliminators (aux support detachment) -- this is some of the "fluffy" part of my list, as I've complained enough about DW not getting them. They're 12 points and a CP cheaper than a vindicare.

From that, I have a 3-shot, 2+ to hit lascannon on a dreadnought with a 5++/6+++ and character keyword, so I think my anti tank is covered (no titanic units allowed thankfully). The eliminators will be able to deal with buff characters/psykers, which should pay off well since at 1k you can only build around one or two gimmicks only. My 3 troops are more mobile than would be expected thanks to relentless advance. Hellfire will do a lot of work here (Nid monsters/tau suits/T5 plague marines), and the aggressors can deal with hordes.

With a dreadnought character, I shouldn't have to worry about my opponents getting warlord, and I don't have 3 vehicles/monsters. Even without a full list drawn up, I don't imagine the kill 3 units in a turn will be likely either (or if so, I've lost anyway). That means I should expect my opponents to take linebreaker or cap all objectives.

So what I still need to decide is:

- second HQ (cheap captain I guess). They will hold Ectoclades. No watchmaster, cuz narrative.

- What chapter to use for the eliminators (RG/IF/or Master Artisans + ?)

- Warlord trait (Bane is tempting, but I could probably use Ectoclades if I really need to boost the Lascannons wound roll. Lore NEVER works for me, so eff that)

And I have around 200 points more to spend. Thoughts?

*edit: also, ideally I'm aiming to keep it all the marines primaris, "narrative".

Edited by Boyadventurer

If you're going Primaris, your choice of HQ is between the Captain or the Librarian. 

It's whether you feel a psychic defence would be more beneficial over the in-built re-roll 1s to hit.

I'd personally would be edging towards the Librarian, as you can put Wisdom of the Ancients on the Chaplain Dreadnought and get those re-rolls if/when needed. 

For the rest of your points i'd get a couple of bolter Inceptors for your kill-teams, they add plenty of dakka and allow you to fall back and still shoot.

I think you've got the basics covered, and considering your opponents it looks like a good all around list for a campaign.

The Chaplain dread is incredible value for what it is, and it fills a gigantic gap in the Deathwatch codex. 

I don't know how your Black Legion player is going to go, but it can be quite mediocre, filled with bodies (which plays to your strength) or he could go with a lot of Daemonic engines. (Disco Lords, Venoms, etc)

My concern would be speed/reaction to close combat or an opponent that wants to sit in the back (Tau).

I still like the Redemptor (counts as a primaris unit) but maybe even a Hellblaster squad deep striking in could fill a good role for you.

On the HQ it's tough at that level. A Captain is safe. For relic that's tough too... at smaller games it's harder to take full advantage of them but again Tome is very safe and flexible. 

Cheers guys. I'm leaning captain just because I can't really figure out what I'd have a librarian doing. Veil of Time could be handy I suppose, especially vs charging Nids so I could make use of shock assault to thin them out before they swing. Might of Heroes is temping for the chaplain dread but really, it shouldn't be getting shot at and I don't want it in combat anyway. I'd probably get more use from the reroll aura too.

I think going IF on the eliminators would be solid. After my first game I could spend my battle honour on them to let them reroll hits of 1, exploding 6s, ignore cover, and +1 to wound vs characters. That's pretty solid for a unit that can't benefit from any of my buffs! (I just shaved down the DW shoulderpads and perfectly fit them in besides the camo cloaks, so I'm quite pleased with how they're looking).

With the points I have left, I can get in the captain, a bolter inceptor for each of the two "assault" squads, and 5x chute reivers to handle linebreaker or act as a response unit. From there I've got just enough to either:

Upgrade the two inceptors to plasma

Take 2 more reivers

Take 2 more stalker intercessors

Take 2 more auto intercessors

Give the stalker squad a second aggressor

Honestly, I'm inclined to give the Inceptors plasma. It can deal with high T AND good saves at the same time, while the SIA only does one or the other. 

I think Bane of Monstrosities will be the WL trait, since I'm going all in on the dreadnought handling all my anti tank, I might as well make sure it's wounding on every roll!

For anyone interested, I went IF for the eliminators. After the first game I can spend my battle honours on them to make them:

Ignore cover, reroll 1s to hit, exploding hits on 6s, +1 to wound characters, MW on 5+ to wound.

WAY better value than a Vindicare!

Edited by Boyadventurer