Skywrath's Dark Angels

Skywrath

Let me start this topic with a precursor - I'm new to this hobby and the painting nuances. After much experimentation, I found the right balance to watering paints, spraying miniatures lightly as well as gaining a rudimentary understanding on layering paints. Here are the results (Camera is a bit off):

https://imgur.com/a/Qm799v1

Here is the story of my painting experiences (read at your own risk, this might be a bit too much for some).. 

My first few miniatures were my intercessors - Greenwing. Nothing special about those, at that point it was paint from the pot, zandri dust for the pouches/other things, and a good helping of Agrax earthshade to sort things out. Very dynamic, but people said they were painted too thick. 

Cue the next thing purchased - Deathwing terminators (knights). Deathwing terminators (as you all know) have much more detail than greenwing, and my starter brush couldn't do the fine details at all. The ones I did well, were just flukes - a few people said I had good motor skills to make the terminators presentable, but I shrugged it off, in pursuit of perfection. (Slaanesh would be proud ++BLAM, BLAM, HERESY++). At that point I picked up some cheap brushes, and things went upwards from there. I also got practical advice from a GW workshop employee in how to water paints and apply proper layering. 

*Deathwing Terminator Skywrath has been subjected to extensive mind-wiping to preserve his loyalty to the Dark Angels, the Emperor and the Imperium* 

Armed with this knowledge, I got another squad of terminators, but made the unfortunate mistake of painting the ENTIRE miniature with seraphim sephia causing them to look.. well, I'll let your imaginations work on that one. (After I finish this squad and the rest of my greenwing, I'll go over with some screaming skull to erase the shading marks on them). 

Later today, as the terminators arrived a few realisations hit me. First one is that in contrast (no pun intended) to my previous method of spraying the base coat at point-blank range, more keep them at arms length and spray them there (all of this could have been avoided if I read the instructions, yes). The first try didn't end up so well - the deathwing terminator captain got sprayed too thickly, causing him to be painted too thickly, but the other ones turned out spectacularly. RiP Dark vengeance terminator sergeant, you will be missed. However, the other ones turned out (in my opinion, good) I drew inspiration from an Ultramarines player in-store, and glued some naturally found rocks outside for more detail, which surprisingly set very well with plastic glue. 

Conclusions - I am still new to this, and I'm sure there will be a lot of things others will say, I could have done better/added to improve the appearance overall. But compared to my previous results, it's definitely a step in the right direction. Deathwing Terminator shading is still a mystery to me, but I think with a bit more experimentation, it should click, as the other things have before. For the Lion!

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

Nice progress, Skywrath. With the thickly painted models, you can always come back to them later by stripping the paint off and repainting them. I’ve never done it before so I’m not familiar with the process, but there’s plenty of online guides out there

• 2 weeks later...

Azrael, Kaldor and the watcher done!

https://imgur.com/a/TkJsWrG

Questions: Why Kaldor?

Because he's cool and he managed to one shot the Lord of Contagion when me and my friend played against him. Plus I'm building a GK army, so he would make a good place to start.

Why is Azrael on the banner painted red?

In hindsight, this was an undersight on my end, the banner was painted green, so I had to use another paint to provide contrast. Seeing how my other options were either red or brown, I figured red would make the most striking alternative.

Why do the paints look so grainy?

At the time of this picture, I recently nuln oiled the pair, with time I expect it to dissapear, with the exception of the lion's helm's wings. The watcher is actually lighter than the picture entails. 

Kaldor remains my best painted model - so much detail on him. Next up it will be the terminator librarian. 

Edited by Skywrath

Love the shirt! The mini too! He looks imposing, and I love the color on the shoulderpads (i'm a sucker for non-cannon color schemes)

The shoulders were to denote he was a part of the deathwing, but cheers!

Love it

Not a Dark Angel, however I plan to have 2 of these in my army as an auxillary detachment. Still working on the base, but what a beautiful model! Planning to make the red accents in the next model (coming in the mail), green, in honor of the Dark Angels.

https://imgur.com/a/eO8tbS7

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

• 4 weeks later...

What do you want me to paint next? Items arriving tomorrow got the following;

1. Ravenwing Bikers

2. Repulsor Executioner

3. Eliminators

4. Deathwing Knights

5. Black Knights

Repulsor Executioner complete! Paint is thick in some places, but still passable handiwork.

XaGVZzQ.jpg

ahMryDf.jpg

Fcp6Olw.jpg

X8QEyA2.jpg

Next up it will be another squad of DWK, Black Knights, Ravenwing Bikers (squad of 5) and a trio of Eliminators. 

• 3 weeks later...

Deathwing Knights/Sammael done! Next up it will be a squad of inceptors/Black Knights.

I wouldn't call the DWK my finest work ever, but I think they are acceptable.

Sammael was not not painted by me, but he had a lot of patch-up jobs that had to be done (broken pieces, splurges of paint, etc). 

fPyctd1.jpg
SLAgfrS.jpg
xVRxtFl.jpg
FxETkf8.jpg
67amiwN.jpg
jQf0DGP.jpg
z6wRmJH.jpg