Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skywrath's Dark Angels

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, Grey Knights

A WIP - the Deathwing Champion. Definitely my finest work yet, just waiting for the halberd to arrive from Britannia. As some of you suggested on the Painting Deathwing thread, I sprayed him with wraithbone (sorry stobz, your white was a bit too white), and then went into the recesses with full strength Agrax, that I had laying around. After reflection, pretty sure that Agrax had some small amount of Nuln oil mixed with it, because that pot was probably when I first started painting, and I didn't really clean my brushes back then properly. Either way, worked out pretty well. Thoughts?

F4pMKD3.jpg

• G8Keeper and TheWeepingAngel like this

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,012 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

Not too shabby at all mate! I'd possibly go for more coverage with the wash so you capture all the recesses on the mini but that's up to you :)

• Skywrath likes this
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

Not too shabby at all mate! I'd possibly go for more coverage with the wash so you capture all the recesses on the mini but that's up to you smile.png

Hey, Brother, thanks for the kind words.

I get overzealous, too quickly with the wash, not that I don't want to do that, this whole exercise was a matter of restraint ;p That, and the white that you see, is actually the primer itself - I'm not sure what's the paint equivalent. Not to mention the second aspect of that self-imposed exercise, was to get for me to go slow, rather than fast - so any mistake I make, any splurge, will cost me. The Wraithbone that is the primer, is different from the Wraithbone base, closest thing I found was Screaming Skull. 

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,012 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

Not too shabby at all mate! I'd possibly go for more coverage with the wash so you capture all the recesses on the mini but that's up to you smile.png

I get overzealous, too quickly with the wash, not that I don't want to do that, this whole exercise was a matter of restraint ;p That, and the white that you see, is actually the primer itself - I'm not sure what's the paint equivalent. Not to mention the second aspect of that self-imposed exercise, was to get for me to go slow, rather than fast - so any mistake I make, any splurge, will cost me. The Wraithbone that is the primer, is different from the Wraithbone base, closest thing I found was Screaming Skull. 

It's a good thing to practice, having said that.... you should see my Deathwing at the wash stage, I do not take any prisoners :P

• Skywrath likes this
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

It's a good thing to practice, having said that.... you should see my Deathwing at the wash stage, I do not take any prisoners tongue.png

Or Fallen, by that that logic ;p

• G8Keeper likes this

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

What started as a 7 dollar visit to the LGWS store, quickly ended up being a 100 dollar one. But those Aggressors.. so good. Pictures coming soon!

Opinion: Should I paint them as greenwing or deathwing?

Edited by Skywrath, 20 June 2020 - 03:35 AM.

Berzul

Berzul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,106 posts
  • Faction: Wings of Dawn (DA Successors)

Well, that escalated quickly.

... As for the color, I honestly could not tell you. I think this is a very personal decision.

"Fiat lux!"
- Battle cry of the Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angel's Successor Chapter

gallery_26154_15777_630.png

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

Deathwing champion v2.0 complete! The white that you see on him was a prototype of the painting method suggested by others. I tinkered around with another variation, and it will be seen on my upcoming submission - Deathwing Aggressors (doing the 3rd one as we speak). Onto the model itself - painting got a bit messy towards the end, but still pretty proud of him. This time the Deathwing logos are actually legible, compared to that red blob I had a while back. I found that the 'ardcoat varnish on top of shadel (as you can faintly see on his wings) really makes the model shine. Plus as the varnish itself is creamy white, it tones down the yellowish hue of the wraithbone to a more ivory colour. Either way, thoughts? 

Spoiler

• G8Keeper, Interrogator Stobz, Galloway and 2 others like this

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

++Inner Circle access requested++

++Authorization code input++

...Input code: Lionsword

++Inner Circle access granted++

++Standby++

++Welcome, Knight-Master Skywrath++

...Pict-capture file access request: file 4299941

++Access granted++

Finished painting these trio of Deathwing Aggressors, using the new bone method suggested by others. Instead of shading them, I decided to use 'ardcoat to bring out the edges (to preserve the colour). The aggressor on the left has a very light wash of Agrax on him, making him darker - the other two don't, and I prefer the other two. Also note the custom shoulders on them. So hold on to your hats, time for some primaris heresy - Knight-Master Skywrath reporting to cell 42 near you. Probably one of the better painted figures, I've ever done.

Spoiler

Edited by Skywrath, 01 July 2020 - 07:47 AM.

• Galloway and Herbington like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users