Skywrath's Dark Angels

Skywrath

A WIP - the Deathwing Champion. Definitely my finest work yet, just waiting for the halberd to arrive from Britannia. As some of you suggested on the Painting Deathwing thread, I sprayed him with wraithbone (sorry stobz, your white was a bit too white), and then went into the recesses with full strength Agrax, that I had laying around. After reflection, pretty sure that Agrax had some small amount of Nuln oil mixed with it, because that pot was probably when I first started painting, and I didn't really clean my brushes back then properly. Either way, worked out pretty well. Thoughts?

F4pMKD3.jpg

Not too shabby at all mate! I'd possibly go for more coverage with the wash so you capture all the recesses on the mini but that's up to you :smile.:

Hey, Brother, thanks for the kind words.

I get overzealous, too quickly with the wash, not that I don't want to do that, this whole exercise was a matter of restraint ;p That, and the white that you see, is actually the primer itself - I'm not sure what's the paint equivalent. Not to mention the second aspect of that self-imposed exercise, was to get for me to go slow, rather than fast - so any mistake I make, any splurge, will cost me. The Wraithbone that is the primer, is different from the Wraithbone base, closest thing I found was Screaming Skull. 

Not too shabby at all mate! I'd possibly go for more coverage with the wash so you capture all the recesses on the mini but that's up to you :smile.:

I get overzealous, too quickly with the wash, not that I don't want to do that, this whole exercise was a matter of restraint ;p That, and the white that you see, is actually the primer itself - I'm not sure what's the paint equivalent. Not to mention the second aspect of that self-imposed exercise, was to get for me to go slow, rather than fast - so any mistake I make, any splurge, will cost me. The Wraithbone that is the primer, is different from the Wraithbone base, closest thing I found was Screaming Skull. 

It's a good thing to practice, having said that.... you should see my Deathwing at the wash stage, I do not take any prisoners :P

It's a good thing to practice, having said that.... you should see my Deathwing at the wash stage, I do not take any prisoners :tongue.:

Or Fallen, by that that logic ;p

What started as a 7 dollar visit to the LGWS store, quickly ended up being a 100 dollar one. But those Aggressors.. so good. Pictures coming soon!

Opinion: Should I paint them as greenwing or deathwing?

Edited by Skywrath

Deathwing champion v2.0 complete! The white that you see on him was a prototype of the painting method suggested by others. I tinkered around with another variation, and it will be seen on my upcoming submission - Deathwing Aggressors (doing the 3rd one as we speak). Onto the model itself - painting got a bit messy towards the end, but still pretty proud of him. This time the Deathwing logos are actually legible, compared to that red blob I had a while back. I found that the 'ardcoat varnish on top of shadel (as you can faintly see on his wings) really makes the model shine. Plus as the varnish itself is creamy white, it tones down the yellowish hue of the wraithbone to a more ivory colour. Either way, thoughts? 

9CKgg6j.jpg
VahP6c5.jpg

++Inner Circle access requested++

++Authorization code input++

...Input code: Lionsword

++Inner Circle access granted++

++Standby++

++Welcome, Knight-Master Skywrath++

...Pict-capture file access request: file 4299941

++Access granted++

Finished painting these trio of Deathwing Aggressors, using the new bone method suggested by others. Instead of shading them, I decided to use 'ardcoat to bring out the edges (to preserve the colour). The aggressor on the left has a very light wash of Agrax on him, making him darker - the other two don't, and I prefer the other two. Also note the custom shoulders on them. So hold on to your hats, time for some primaris heresy - Knight-Master Skywrath reporting to cell 42 near you. Probably one of the better painted figures, I've ever done.

iHTNyco.jpg
E8TFRYJ.jpg
rMLSJjR.jpg

PabDI4Y.jpg

Edited by Skywrath

Alrighty, we got a bit of an interesting tale. 

So finally finished assembling 6 x Boltstorm aggressors - 3 of them as normal, the other 3 with deathwatch pauldrons, and starting the painting process. So far nothing unusual - wraithbone spray (helps me see the areas that I missed), and give them a base coat of Caliban Green. This is where things started to go haywire - paint was runny, a sign that the water amount was too much. But here's the interesting bit - I only barely put the tip of the brush in which amounted to almost no water.

Nonetheless the paint was still that consistency. Then I thought it was the actual paint vial itself having too much water in it. (I chalked it up to my previous flamestorm aggressors paintjob and me being lazy with properly drying the brush). Opened up a new vial of Caliban Green - same problem. Then I saw the brush I was working with. For reference, I have two of the same brushes - one for the base coat, the other for shading. Turns out all this time, I've been painting with my shade brush, which inadvertently had a large amount of nuln oil on it, by the looks of things.

Now here it gets interesting, despite that blunder, the aggressors while looking much darker, already have all the recess shading of nuln oil in them already. If you would look at my previous flamestorm aggressors, and the darkness of the green, that would be the same color as they are now. And despite the copious amounts of green paint I put on the aggressors, they still look clean enough to see the details, even if they are a bit darker. This makes me think whether there is a way to paint and shade at the same time. I still need to paint the details in, but seeing how they have clear traces of nuln oil in the recesses, this time I'm just going to 'ardcoat varnish them, to keep them green instead of them turning out black (with another coat of nuln oil). But that concludes my interesting tale for today.

For my next project - I got a Feirros Conversion (Shoulder-pad still arriving before I can spray him), 6 of those aggressors mentioned and a Ravenwing Apothecary (waiting on handle-bars to arrive). Thinking after I paint those, I might try pull of a conversion for Primaris Lieutenant Zadakiel with perhaps a winged helmet and the ravenwing champion sword. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last trio of Aggressors painted. Personally, I think they were averagely painted. Next up, it will be an Azrael proxy (Balthasar from Dark Vengeance) and a Deathwing Ancient (when his other parts arrive). Images in spoiler.

gsGcclN.jpg

Edited by Skywrath

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...