Counts as Forge World Models?

Karhedron

I have been in the hobby long enough to have some models that are pretty long in the tooth. Some are quite nicely painted but don't quite match the current aesthetic of the army. Case in point would be an old-school metal Whirlwind. It looks quite different from the modern incarnation, not to mention being based on the old Rhino chassis. Do you think it would be reasonable to field it as a Whirlwind Scorpius?

Depends on your opponents, i mean it sounds like a reasonable proxy, especially if you are fielding regular Whirlwinds too. 

That said its going to be confusing for some, especially as you saw a lot more Whirlwinds when that model was current in my experience :D 

Would it be fine to me?  Absolutely.  But some people are gonna be 'that guy' so your mileage may vary, so you might as well ask your group*.

Not to fine a point on it, but so long as it looks good and it's easy enough to differentiate then I'm good with it. Especially as I rather like some of the old models and it's fun to see them again in any capacity.  Makes me all nostalgic.  And the opposit eis true, too: some of the new models are pretty cool.  I use Scimitar jetbikes as White Scar attack bikes because no force on heaven or earth can make me use those mid 90's Fisher Price attack bike models.

*And for the usual 'it's too small, it'll affect the game in XYZ way' I'll preempt it by saying I don't care.  I really don't.  There are way more egregious things that I don't care about either, this doesn't make it close to the stuff that I actually care about. 

As long as it’s not immersion breaking, I’m cool with it.

I remember once a guy asked if he could use a Battlestar Galactica Viper as a Xiphon, because to be fair there is a similarity there, but me and a friend of mine were against it.

A old school whirlwind isn’t exactly immersion breaking given the fact that a ton of Heresy tanks can be directly traced to those old school 2nd Ed models like the Deimos whirlwind.

Why is this even a question?

If your opponent knows what it is and you have the rules for the unit and they agree to a game there should not be any reason not to use it.

when I play 30K I repurpose my old WW turret as a scorpius on one of my modern razorbacks. this is social activity, don't be "that guy".

Heck once dreamforge starts back up again I am getting some heavy rifle valkir troopers to be my hellblasters because I think they look better than primaris marines and fit the german theme of my army.

It's no different than a guy I knew back in 5th ed who ran an entire female guard army using 3rd party miniatures for his infantry. everything was properly represented on the correct size bases. the rule of cool wins every time in my book.

I have been in the hobby long enough to have some models that are pretty long in the tooth. Some are quite nicely painted but don't quite match the current aesthetic of the army. Case in point would be an old-school metal Whirlwind. It looks quite different from the modern incarnation, not to mention being based on the old Rhino chassis. Do you think it would be reasonable to field it as a Whirlwind Scorpius?

If someone in my group wanted to do that, I'd support it 100%.

If someone in my group wanted to do that, I'd support it 100%.

Concur. Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Let there be fun!

when I play 30K I repurpose my old WW turret as a scorpius on one of my modern razorbacks. this is social activity, don't be "that guy".

Counterpoint - most of 'that guys' I encountered only show interest in FW because the unit in question is broken garbage (see Iron Hands rules that were much less problematic when applied to 80 pts codex Dreadnoughts, vs 'that guy' spam of 4 leviathans and HQ dread for maximum cheese). At least when I see original, nicely painted FW model, I know my opponent might just like the looks. When I see barely sprayed recast, or even worse, lazy conversion that on top of OP rules tries to squeeze in modelling for advantage, why bother playing it? I know with 99% certainty fun is least consideration there, let's not kid ourselves such people view it as a social activity, it's just an attempt at easy mode single player game to them.

And it's pretty sad, because I do like some variant models FW does, but the WAAC mentality that clings to them in last few years kinda poisoned that well for me. I'd rather go without and play Codex only, than risk a game with someone who sold his 7th edition riptidewing and is now trying to spam leviathans. Especially when it's someone so entitled he doesn't even buy said leviathans, just ""converts"" them out of robots two sizes to small and smugly proclaims you can buy him one if you don't like his 0% hobby, 100% cheese army.

Use whatever you created. Modifications happen. Functional isn't always aesthetic. If I can understand your intent and purpose behind the model, I am good to go.

Just don't rip me out of the Warhammer 40K experience "with some jarring abomination, like a Demon Prince with 10 Lascannons for each wing..."

Image below for context:

strykercage

This is :cuss ugly, but oh so functional.

V/r,

Dan

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge

At OP why don’t you just buy the actual model?

you gonna buy it, assemble it and paint it for him? seriously he already has a painted GW WW model it is just a viariant why would he be forced to buy another one?

Counterpoint - most of 'that guys' I encountered only show interest in FW because the unit in question is broken garbage (see Iron Hands rules that were much less problematic when applied to 80 pts codex Dreadnoughts, vs 'that guy' spam of 4 leviathans and HQ dread for maximum cheese). At least when I see original, nicely painted FW model, I know my opponent might just like the looks. When I see barely sprayed recast, or even worse, lazy conversion that on top of OP rules tries to squeeze in modelling for advantage, why bother playing it? I know with 99% certainty fun is least consideration there, let's not kid ourselves such people view it as a social activity, it's just an attempt at easy mode single player game to them.

And it's pretty sad, because I do like some variant models FW does, but the WAAC mentality that clings to them in last few years kinda poisoned that well for me. I'd rather go without and play Codex only, than risk a game with someone who sold his 7th edition riptidewing and is now trying to spam leviathans. Especially when it's someone so entitled he doesn't even buy said leviathans, just ""converts"" them out of robots two sizes to small and smugly proclaims you can buy him one if you don't like his 0% hobby, 100% cheese army.

I have been running basically the same army units since 5th edition including actual FW models (I own a LR Prometheus, helios, achillies/storm eagle, LS tempest, MK IV maximus marines etc...) the fact hat I can re-use them all in 30K is just a bonus (hell I have had the 2 WWs since 4th ed) the reason I run the FW units I do and for that same reason I run the non FW units I do is because I love the models. I get flakk for taking a storm hawk instead of a storm talon from those more WAAC minded players because it is "less effective" in 8th....and I don't care.

Can some people be bandwagon powergaming WAAC jumpers? of course, but if you have played 30K you would know the balance is totally different. a scorpius is devastating compared to 40k WW rules but in 30k it is comparatively average to what else is available for the legions.

More importantly the OP wasn't looking for an unfair advantage he is looking to avoid having to build anew when he already has something that can do the job even if it isn't 100% identical.

Just the very fact I have had to hide posts in this of all friendly and innocent topics says everything.

Keep the baiting and snide comments to yourselves. You are all better than this and should act accordingly, to discuss the hobby and support other fraters in a constructive and friendly manner.

Or...- Ignites Crozius - ....you can have it the other way.

No baiting. Stay on topic.

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

I have no problem with (well done) conversions taking the place of FW models- some are expensive as hell (or OOP) and some look gorgeous but don't quite fit in with the modern aesthetic.

Case in point, I'm planning on converting some Termites from AdMech terrain, as the official model is extortionate for a medium transport (£85!) and I have some good ideas for converting three up for more or less the price of one official one which should hopefully still look great. Likewise, the FW Hierodule, whilst a lovely model, looks totally out of place next to modern Tyranids, so unless we get an updated model I'll probably be doing some converting.

Now, obviously if someone takes the cheapest equivalently sized model/piece of household detritus they have and glue some Heavy Bolters on and go "There, a Contemptor" that's not quite right. But within reason there's nothing wrong with using FW units represented by other models.

Because converting GW plastics to represent FW units shouldn't be any different than converting GW plastics into other GW plastics.  Also resin is a pain in the nether regions compared to plastic, you don't get weird resin mixes with odd finishes, and we can save money for more models.  Thanks but I can convert my own, say, AL Headhunters or destroyer unit.  

Eh, I never model for advantage and I take great pride in making sure things are fully WYSIWYG.  I'll simply use, for example, my moritat converted from a plastic HH marine with a Sanguinary Guard jump pack and two plasma pistols with electrical wires for the power feeds instead of a $35 resin character.  If someone notices halfway through a game that I converted plastic pieces and didn't pay full MSRP for a resin model and wants to leave, have a great time. I couldn't care less if someone is using official FW resin or eBayed recasts, I'm not X-raying anyone's models to make sure they're official sculpts.  

I'm not talking about proxying a Landraider as a Sicaran or something like that.  Using an older Rhino chassis for a newer one with an established model should be discussed as you can hide it easier but converted WYSIWYG infantry or tanks that are modeled to look just like their overpriced and sometimes poorly cast resin counterparts should never be an issue ever.