Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Siege of Terra: Sons of the Selenar

Siege of Terra

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Ogun

Ogun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders (30k and 40k)

Wayland is actually a reference to Wayland the Smith from the Völundarkviða of the Poetic Edda. McNeill was presumably looking for literary inspiration for an Iron Hand character. 

• Lucerne, Dumah, Irbis and 1 other like this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,069 posts

That's cool, too! I haven't really kept up with his online presence / AMAs or interviews since leaving BL, tbh. His move to the States hasn't exactly made for enjoyable social media postings to read...

As for the plot cliffnotes, I'm.... lukewarm on it, going just by the notes. I hope there's more to the one important thing highlighted, especially since I've been posting connect-the-dots theories regarding the subject matter for a few years, and consider this take a little unexciting, and somewhat similar to what Kyme did in Sons of the Forge.....wait a moment, I see a pattern.

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,322 posts

I'm about two-thirds of the way through, and it's a bit 'meh'.

I guess it was always going to be a bit difficult, write a story parallel to the main arc that doesn't tread on any toes of characters or plots. But yeah, not really sold on it. Considering the price tag (£40 for ~175 pages), I was expecting more - the final third had better make up for it.

• Lucerne likes this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts

spoilers

If a certain character is actually, definitely dead, even with a "heroic sacrifice", thank god, and I'll consider the novel worth any other lack of quality.

The idea that the character would survive and go on to contaminate their Legion's storyline indefinitely is honestly horrifying to me.

Edited by Lucerne, 18 January 2020 - 10:21 PM.

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

https://i.imgur.com/YxV2bFv.png <-This is what the Warhammer 40k setting is about.

SpAcEGhOsT095

SpAcEGhOsT095

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts

I can't say I'm that hopeful about this series. Everything is riding on Abnett with the last book. To me, the Heresy started out wonderfully with Abnett writing the first book, only for it to end on a whimper and fart thanks to James Swallow.

I don't like to think about TBA Series, it makes me angry. The Primarchs books have been hit and miss.

A poorly handled fight between The Emperor and Horus...... That will drive a telephone pole sized stake through my heart and bring forth Helbrecht from TTS levels of rage.

• Lucerne likes this

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,636 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force
I’m still hopeful about the rest of the series. Abnett, Wraight and ADB yet to come, I’m not worried.
  • DarkChaplain and Kenzaburo like this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 796 posts

For Selenar, what about world building for Luna and the Gene Cults?

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,598 posts
The HH series is actually quite excellent if you only read entries by Abnett, Wraight, ADB, and French.

EDIT: ...and ATS by Graham, which I enjoyed a lot. I give credit when it's due.

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,322 posts
Finished it last night, and yeah I’m still in the ‘meh’ category.
I guess if you’re really invested in these characters then this is a must-read, but if not then there’s little there. It’s well written, don’t get me wrong on that - it’s really easy to read through, and is good as a stand-alone story, buts it’s just there to tie some loose ends. It doesn’t really interact with the overall Siege story arc, and unless you’re invested with the characters there isn’t much to keep your interest.
As for the price point, definitely too high. 175 pages, 2 pieces of internal art, and a fancy binding for 80% of the price tag of a full-blown limited novel? Nah, that was too high.

One minor thing that makes the pedant in me squirm, which I’ll put in spoiler tags in case people don’t want anything revealed:
Spoiler

• aa.logan likes this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

mr.crusader

mr.crusader

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 117 posts

175 pages, 2 pieces of internal art, and a fancy binding for 80% of the price tag of a full-blown limited novel? Nah, that was too high.

Am I right understand the Total War: Warhammer game comes for free with every order, right?

No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts

The Warmaster started to give his boys the good stuff/looted prototype wargear?

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

https://i.imgur.com/YxV2bFv.png <-This is what the Warhammer 40k setting is about.

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,636 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

175 pages, 2 pieces of internal art, and a fancy binding for 80% of the price tag of a full-blown limited novel? Nah, that was too high.

Am I right understand the Total War: Warhammer game comes for free with every order, right?

That comes free with every order from GW though. It’s not specific to this.

mr.crusader

mr.crusader

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 117 posts

Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up! 

No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 935 posts
I’m more positive about this than most here. I really enjoyed this and I’m no McNeill fan. I alway loved the idea of the shattered legions and following these guys from Istavaan should have been great, sadly it never felt that way. I think because the whole heresy felt so heavy and bloated the storyline just felt too much. It would probably have worked if the heresy/seige had been told in a reasonable number of books and then the setting examined in later books.
But now we are in the seige run I was maybe able to relax over this a little more.
What ever the reason I think McNeill does a great job here pulling in some great new places and peoples. I loved the ending and hopefully we see some references to it’s significance dropped in somewhere sometime. Probably by Guy Haley. I certainly left thirsty for more about Luna and the pre unity cults.
There are a few bits and pieces didn’t fit too well and I’m glad it was a novella and not a novel but overall a good aside to the seige. Hopefully some other stories are given the same treatment. Garro etc etc.
  • Lucerne and JH79 like this

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts
Spoiler

Edited by Kelborn, 23 January 2020 - 04:46 AM.

• Knockagh, DarkChaplain and Ubiquitous1984 like this

ProsperoStands

ProsperoStands

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts
  • Faction: Luna Wolves, Thousand Sons
Spoiler

Edited by Kelborn, 23 January 2020 - 04:46 AM.

Recasts are like Fight Club. A lot more people do it then you realize and its never who you would suspect.

The Primaris Lore is trash. If you like it, your tastes are trash.

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts
Spoiler

Calling Sharrowkyn a character at all is an insult to the idea of characterization.

Edited by Kelborn, 23 January 2020 - 04:53 AM.

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts

He was fine in Angel Exterminatus, not the most developed , but no different than a lot of BL supporting characters that are defined through one or two quirks and standout skills and credible enough as a Raven Guard elite. Killing Lucius was an effective surprise in that book imo.

• DarkChaplain and JH79 like this

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,521 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Except Lucius has turned into Worf. Seriously, has the guy ever actually won a fight, other than against that random bug on Murder? His character got reduced to "hey, remember that this guy is supposed to be awesome? Watch him get his butt kicked by this other guy! This other guy must be even more awesome!"

It was also a surprise, because Lucius was supposed to be undefeated until his first possession rebirth.

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts

Lucius was always quite a tongue in cheek character compared to a lot of the other traitor champions. The master swordsman where his speciality comes from constantly getting beat. Getting worfed was built into his character from the beginning.

He would fit right into the old Rogue Trader days.

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,521 posts

Except that his claim to fame before he was reborn was that he was one of the best swordsmen in the Legions. Now he's apparently never won a duel.

The whole point of him was that he was literally unbeatable. He either kills you because he's one of the best Astartes fighters, or you fluke and kill him, and he takes over your body. The reason Slaanesh blessed him like that was because he was so good. 

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts

He was fine in Angel Exterminatus, not the most developed , but no different than a lot of BL supporting characters that are defined through one or two quirks and standout skills and credible enough as a Raven Guard elite. Killing Lucius was an effective surprise in that book imo.

Sharrowkyn dying would have been a bigger surprise given how McNeil refuses to have him suffer consequences or be shown as anything but a special snowflake with no real personality or actual limitations.

And you're right that he's an underdeveloped nothing with the personality of a bit character...But he's allegedly the protagonist of an entire, drawn out subfaction arc, and just won't stop eating up said screentime.

Also, no. A Raven Guard elite getting lucky once is fine. Twice is believable. Consistently acting in ways that go against plausibility- looking at you, "literally reading ahead in the plot of Seventh Serpent in ways that make no sense in-universe" and surviving for no plausible reason?

At this point, his death is pretty much the only way to salvage something from his arc, because plot armor from author favoritism when he has no personality by your own admission is not a winning combination.

Edited by Lucerne, 23 January 2020 - 02:28 AM.

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,521 posts

At least he doesn't use a katana?

You're hired.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,907 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.

May I remind you that -even if you're upset about certain characters/ events and you want to let off steam- you should keep an eye on spoilers. Even slight hints might be too much, especially as this has been just released as LE and not as a regular one.

I advise to reread your post before hitting the "button".

And before I forget: Not another "Sharowkyn rumble" if possible.

Edited by Kelborn, 23 January 2020 - 07:52 AM.
typos and formatting

• DarkChaplain, RikuEru, JH79 and 1 other like this

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

Spoiler

• Knockagh and Ubiquitous1984 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Siege of Terra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users