Question about Fugaris’ helm

eternal_warrior12

I used the Fugaris Helm on a Plague Surgeon in a game the other day.  I wanted to see if I could make an army of mostly infantry viable, so I had two big blobs of Poxwalkers and three squads of Death Guard walking up the center of the board with Typhus, a Malignant Plague Caster, and the Plague Surgeon.  With careful positioning and the 6" aura I was able to keep at least one member of each of the PM and PW squads (plus Typhus and the Malignant Plaguecaster) within the Plague Surgeon's aura.  I can say that it was still rather lackluster: Re-rolling 1s is better than nothing, but still not that great.  I also had to use Cloud of Flies on the Plague Surgeon every turn or my opponent would have simply deleted him with sniper fire.  But the proof of concept worked, more or less as intended.  The blobs marched up the center of the board while my Myphitic Blighthaulers and Foetid Bloat Drones went up the flanks at speed, and I kept my Plagueburst Crawlers parked in the backfield for long-range indirect fire support with a screen of one more blob of Poxwalkers to keep any late-game Deep Strikers from tagging the PBCs in melee.  By the end of the game almost everything was dead, but I did get a few more successful Disgustingly Resilient rolls out of the Plague Surgeon's aura.  I will say that I think that was almost the best possible circumstances for the Plague Surgeon to shine, and he still didn't really do that.  I might try it again sometime but I am not convinced that the Plague Surgeon is really a viable strategy; I think I will continue to use him, but only when I happen to have 60 points lying over after taking everything else I need/want in a list.  I don't think I will try to build a strategy around him like I did for that game.  Still, it was  a fun, brutal game, so in that sense it was a success.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Fugaris Helm on a Plague Surgeon in a game the other day. I wanted to see if I could make an army of mostly infantry viable, so I had two big blobs of Poxwalkers and three squads of Death Guard walking up the center of the board with Typhus, a Malignant Plague Caster, and the Plague Surgeon. With careful positioning and the 6" aura I was able to keep at least one member of each of the PM and PW squads (plus Typhus and the Malignant Plaguecaster) within the Plague Surgeon's aura. I can say that it was still rather lackluster: Re-rolling 1s is better than nothing, but still not that great. I also had to use Cloud of Flies on the Plague Surgeon every turn or my opponent would have simply deleted him with sniper fire. But the proof of concept worked, more or less as intended. The blobs marched up the center of the board while my Myphitic Blighthaulers and Foetid Bloat Drones went up the flanks at speed, and I kept my Plagueburst Crawlers parked in the backfield for long-range indirect fire support with a screen of one more blob of Poxwalkers to keep any late-game Deep Strikers from tagging the PBCs in melee. By the end of the game almost everything was dead, but I did get a few more successful Disgustingly Resilient rolls out of the Plague Surgeon's aura. I will say that I think that was almost the best possible circumstances for the Plague Surgeon to shine, and he still didn't really do that. I might try it again sometime but I am not convinced that the Plague Surgeon is really a viable strategy; I think I will continue to use him, but only when I happen to have 60 points lying over after taking everything else I need/want in a list. I don't think I will try to build a strategy around him like I did for that game. Still, it was a fun, brutal game, so in that sense it was a success.

Would it be too good if they increased the ability to reroll fails or had a strategem to boost the DR save while near the Plague Surgeon?