jaxom

Expand the neck a little bit and you have a very viable pose. It may be the camera angles, but the neck looks quite thin under the head. You may even be able to combat it by trimming the rounded section on the bottom of the head.

He’s looking good. With the extras you mentioned he should be quite the looker!

EDIT: See next post.

The first go around on his cape is done. I remembered I had a nice cape piece from a SM Captain to base it off, I trimmed down the length and added a paper clip spine to help get a bit more curvature. I now need to back in to cover up the paper clip and fill in some air bubbles. However, this is effectively what the Weeping Lion will look like when done:

sX6P7kMm.jpg?1  m8iaSzUm.jpg yEcsrJLm.jpg

I did add a Dark Angel "belt buckle" after I took the pictures.

Edited by jaxom

Custom Hero - Like one of those optical illusions, while I was working on the cape, out of the corner of my eye I saw exactly what you meant.

I built up the front area into a sort of sloped inner armour:

6Xa5yBvm.jpg

It's low enough that the jaw-line fits over it, but bulks out that previously empty space.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, base layer is down in the infantry model! Leadbelcher, 3 coats of Nuln Oil, and a 60/40 mix of matte medium and black paint (Abaddon Black). I wanted more of that lacquer over metal look from the book covers and I think I got it.

hMUoVAim.jpg  Hi6sGCym.jpg

f51g741m.jpg  XBJjBoFm.jpg

I still need to add a Leadbelcher highlight, but yeah. 

• 2 weeks later...

Praetor Face Time!

2HW4Gl0m.jpg  5L6hP8Wm.jpg

Similar to the dreadnought pose, I'm looking at the face and it's like:

Face that looks like its been under a thousand different suns? Check.

Conquered innumerable planets under those suns? Check.

Works for a powerful being who is often mistaken for a god? Check?

Rocks the facial hair? Check.

I made Master Bra'tac without thinking about it.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/interviews/tony_amendola_01.jpg

Veteran Tactical Squad

I decided to use this project as a chance to try out some Contrast Paints. I used them on the robes and leather. The armour is done, too, but the guns just received their first coat of red.

47nfxnnm.jpg  mothbClm.jpg

9blaVdum.jpg  GKhm6ZTm.jpg

2x Grey Seer, 2x Corax White, 1x Apothecary White (CP), Highlight/touch-ups Corax White.

What was learned? Apothecary White really depends on the paint underneath. Grey Seer was too grey so I had to add the 2x Corax White step. The Apothecary White could probably have been toned down with some medium to get a smoother look for the deeper crevices (I fixed that with a Corax White glaze during the touch-ups). If I had a better base colour (Wraithbone or Corax White) then I could see this as a very useful recipe if I had to paint a lot of white cloth (though I'd want to experiment more with cutting the Apothecary White with medium for larger, flatter areas).

• 2 weeks later...

Veteran Squad Chanson-1

I need to do the bases. I'm holding off until Crusade comes out to add Hexagrammaton wing markings and other markings. I'm pretty sure cheques represent squad marking, so I did that. I can't decide if I want to wait until the HH Dark Angel transfer sheet is back in stock or use the white chapter insignia on the normal transfer sheet. The original Insignium Astartes article had Great Crusade Dark Angel's with a white Legion marking....  Dunno. I'll try to get a better squad picture once they're based.

1ZCtF1ol.jpg

The Ragged Knight and Brother Videan (the shiv brothers)

cCOkKW8m.jpg  WSse1Mzm.jpg

zjhEGL8l.jpg

Brother Oleifr

BJEBfPrm.jpg  Cdyc83dm.jpg  lpJTQLqm.jpg

Brother Garrick

kxYgWjZm.jpg  b7B91JHm.jpg

7QytZLKm.jpg  4Cw38d4m.jpg

Brother-Sergeant Charls

FnXjGA9m.jpg  fXBbzOwm.jpg

wfmWaMzm.jpg  ZzdMhk5m.jpg

Penultimate post for this project. The next one will be a link to the main L&T thread for the finished vow pictures.

The praetor's sword, cloak, and shield:

1HNyqdhm.jpg  wjL5Wvfm.jpg  AzZu16em.jpg

The shield is very plain at the moment, but for similar reasons as the Veterans. I don't want to add any markings until Crusade is out.

And the disassembled Contemptor-Dreadnought:

qIgKoPal.jpg

No wing marking, but has the markings of the Order and a Unity veteran. I see Brother Naymon as one of the Terrans who first interacted with Calibanites and really bought into the merging of the Legion and the Order. He earned the "Breaker of Chains" honor for taking part in many campaigns freeing humans from alien overlords and bring them into the Imperium. This may had involved copious amounts of explosives.