Size of the Area of engagement

Sparika
Go to solution Solved by Sparika,

With the first version of Aeronautica, Forgeworld was selling large pieces of terrain and it seemed to me that the game was supposed to be played on an usual 4'x6' map. I may be wrong. However, after having played a few missions on the cardboard map, I'm a bit frustrated by the size of the area of engagement. For me, the 2'x2' board is missing room for manoeuvre, pursuit, and strategical decision. However, because the game needs hexes, I can't test the game without investing first.

So I would be intrested if you have any experience on bigger maps, either on this version of the first version of Aeronautica. How does it play, what would you change, does it work ... ?

Edited by Sparika

I'm speaking purely academically here, but 2' by 2' engagement area is unlikely to work for more than a 2 vs. 2 fight.

There's likely a board size beyond which playing orks becomes untenable, given their short-range focus and lack of consistent ability to force a merge.

• 2 years later...
  • Solution

So! --a bit of necromancy, but it's my thread :D-- I finally invested in a Deepcut Studio PrintoMat custom desert 6'x4' cloth mat with hexes to play Aeronautica as it was intended or at least as I was expecting it.

The scenario we played was the one from the Wrath of Angels starter set where one force is surprised flying at alt-1 by the other force flying at max altitude. The scenario was ideal for trying out the mat because we could deploy as we wanted on all the board. At first the game started as TigerShark faced Marauders and Barracudas faces Thunderbolt. But then, I sensed an opportunity to get the Barracuda to reinforce the bombers and crush the Marauders.

We played 200pts Imperial vs Tau and it was really fun to finally have room to move around. We had to disengage after turn 4 or 5 because of the time. I'm now searching for the Forgeworld rulebook to see if I could port the original scenarios to the new version with a big board.

321988885_679350463853708_5937390482887383850_n.jpg

321996385_1892664481074706_4727672635467579225_n.jpg

322405969_699379088346526_2230262579971845775_n.jpg

321856604_1224854984774389_2769987779544880159_n.jpg

How are you finding the mat? It looks nice! :smile:

I've got one of the GW ones, but I'm not a fan of it being folding cardboard due to the inevitable wear (I'm considering separating the sections with a scalpel), and the DeepCut ones are tempting (thinking of Mig Alley or Aerial Battlefield) ...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

How are you finding the mat? It looks nice! :smile:

I've got one of the GW ones, but I'm not a fan of it being folding cardboard due to the inevitable wear (I'm considering separating the sections with a scalpel), and the DeepCut ones are tempting (thinking of Mig Alley or Aerial Battlefield) ...

I'm a fan of deepcut mousepad mats. I have four of them and playing on them is much confy :D

For the aeronautica one, I choosed the cloth material as I wasn't sure of the end result. I put the cloth mat on top of a mousepad one to get the nice rubber feeling when moving miniatures and rolling dices.