Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What characters are good in guard?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,916 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
As the title says, not really asking about anyone specific to any sub factions, but if anyone wants to share their insight on that, sure.
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

HallofStovokor

HallofStovokor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 566 posts
Your question is a little ambiguous. Do you mean best in the game or in general? In the game, it is probably a tie between Creed, Straken and Harker. They are great force multipliers for their respective regiments. If you're asking about lore, I'd probably say Commissar Colonel Guant or Old Man Yarrick.
  • walter h likes this

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
It really depends on what you're doing and what army you're running.
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

NatBrannigan

NatBrannigan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,109 posts

And if you're worried about how good they are for points. Can't go wrong with a 15 point Astropath.

Big fan of Yarrick regardless of how you meant the question. Juicy re-rolls without orders and a nasty suprise for someone in combat with you.

GuardDaddy

GuardDaddy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts

Any charachters that give guard orders are beneficial as it works outside rule of three that is limiting factor. Creed in particular with 3 orders and enhanced range is good value for that alone.

Guard need named characters for Aura buffs and any that do that for a faction are great too. For example if you have specific units that you want re-roll 1's for but you don't want to be Cadian overall you can bring in a special char. Yarrick does this for all factions - but there a points cost for that.

Aradia Madallan is 6pts cheaper than a Primaris Psyker if you want a smiter...

Pask is commonly taken as you get BS2+ tank.

Thats off top of my head!

I am creating a custom regiment, the Fallax Hammers based on Necromunda models. Please take a moment to view Work in Progress here

gallery_30308_9518_2534.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,916 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Yeah just asking in general, not even looking for the best. How’s the new commissar? Saleen I think was her name.
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

crimsondave

crimsondave

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Yeah just asking in general, not even looking for the best. How’s the new commissar? Saleen I think was her name.

Severina Raine?  She's terrible.  The good is she has an ap -1 pistol and a 4+ save instead of 5+.  She grants fearless while in combat for units but she has to be in combat herself where she is sure to die against anything with any melee ability.  The bad is she is priced like a Lord Commissar but hits on 3+ instead of 2+ and her named melee weapon is way worse than a regular power sword.  Unless you feel like you need an 8th commissar, I'd use her model as a regular or lord commissar.  I'd use all my regular and lord commissar slots and Yarrick before I used her.  I thought surely the -1 sword was a typo  but I have not seen any corrections to that.  Someone correct me if I missed it.

• librisrouge and duz_ like this

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,748 posts
  • Faction: His Noble Inquisition

If you want a commissar, Sebastian Yarrick is always a great choice. Pricey, by IG standards, he is also our only non-faction specific choice for a re-roll aura. Ork players kinda cry when he shows up and he can actually put up something of a fight.

Otherwise, officers, officers, and more officers is always a good choice, so long as they've got dudes to bark orders to and IG can field an insane amount of psykers. No real special rules, so we won't dominate a psychic phase, but enough casts and denies to allow us to be a thorn in the side of even 1k Sons players.

• MrZakalwe likes this
"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."
-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."
-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
Agreed, in terms of buffing Yarrick is the best we've got. Only shame is that he's a bit too pricey against anyone but Orks. Especially compared to some of the new SM characters who are barely over a hundred points themselves. He can definitely put in the work, but you need to build around him at least a but to maximise his impact.
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

MrZakalwe

MrZakalwe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 347 posts
  • Faction: 609th Octavian regiment

IG can field an insane amount of psykers. No real special rules, so we won't dominate a psychic phase, but enough casts and denies to allow us to be a thorn in the side of even 1k Sons players.

2 Primaris and 3 astropaths comes to 137 points (my normal selections). That's a total of 5 casts and 5 denies for 137 damn points with a good power list and two that can smite properly. 

We can never be amazing at the psychic game but it costs us relatively little to be good at it and that's ignoring the cover ignoring power of the astropath and the fact that with the laspistol option somebody thought it was a good idea to give a blind man a gun biggrin.png . 

'Sire the Astartes appear to be wearing imperial iconography.'

'Pay that no heed, lieutenant, it is doubtless some contrivance of the Great Adversary. Voxman please relay this to all unit leaders - a case of vintage carvine and my favourite hat to whoever brings down that damned hovertank.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users