Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alternative Horus Heresy Dark Angels Colour Scheme

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FoxTrot.

FoxTrot.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

Hey guys, 

So I'm planning on starting a Dark Angels force sometime soon and have been really inspired by the cover for Fallen Angels. Obviously the artist took some creative liberties with the armour colour, so with only this reference I'm a bit lost on how to replicate this look over an entire army. Do you guys have any suggestions about what GW colours to use to translate this colour scheme? Also if you have any ideas for what sort of designs and colours I could use on shoulder pads, helmets, etc let me know, I'd love to hear them. 

Fallen Angels cover:

http://getwallpapers...hxMkXJ4i3Q.link

• DaveyBoy74 likes this

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 631 posts
  • Faction: Legio XX

Judging by the picture the armour seems quite reflexive as metal surfaces. So I'd say it looks like unpainted silverish armour with some light bronze/brass tones here and there (especially the back pack top in the middle of the picture). The silver doesn't seem pure, and I'd choose a warmer tone toward beighe/khaki. perhaps spice it up with some tempered heat bloom effects but toned down and more subtle than the heat bloom effects of the FW IH paint scheme.

I'd probably go for something like this:

1. Prime black
  2. Airbrush a base coat of Vallejo metal color gun metal
  3. Airbrush a midtone with Vallejo metal color exhaust manifold
  4. Airbrush highlights with a 1:1 mix of Vallejo metal color exhaust manifold and Vallejo metal color chrome.

After that you can go ahead and gloss varnish, do your decal work, paint details (eye lenses, wargear, soft joints etc) and give the models a oil paint pin ash with a dark brown (van Dyke or raw Umber) diluted in odourless artist's sprit.

This might look a bit like Iron warriors but the slight khaki/brownish tint of the exhaust manifold correspond to you picture better and differentiate them a bit from iron warriors, I-d paint details and such so that they really look like DA. Look into ordering superfine checkers decals to put on the shoulder pads like they have on the picture.

The helmets seem to have a greenish tone on the picture so you could do the heads with Scale 75 Peridot Alchemy as midtone instead to give that effect.

Edited by Imren, 13 January 2020 - 02:16 PM.

• DaveyBoy74 and FoxTrot. like this

Chaplain Grey Raven

Chaplain Grey Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,987 posts
  • Faction: Consecrators

Looks to me like the Heresy colours, black armour but with white detailing instead of red. 

• FoxTrot. likes this

gallery_92826_13373_1665.jpggallery_92826_13373_2084.jpggallery_92826_13373_141.jpggallery_48988_15200_2138.pnggallery_48988_15493_11529.pnggallery_69091_12729_1587.gifgallery_48988_15465_13594.pnggallery_92826_13373_2576.gifgallery_92826_13373_495.gifgallery_92826_13373_3441.gifgallery_92826_13373_5704.png

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,261 posts

you could have a play around with a metallic base and contrast paints over the top - google gw contrast paint over metallic and take a look at some of the images (at work so cant do too much 'research' now to provide examples)

• Irbis and FoxTrot. like this

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

FoxTrot.

FoxTrot.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely give the metallic base a try, seems like the way to go.

Laughingman

Laughingman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts

If you have access to a airbrush you could also simply use artist grade black ink instead of expensive contrast paint over a zenithal metallic basecoat

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 575 posts

Vallejo also makes a paint called "metallic medium"

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

https://i.imgur.com/YxV2bFv.png <-This is what the Warhammer 40k setting is about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users