Pask and tank selection

Seahawk

I'm putting together a list featuring Pask, 6 more Russes, and 2 Manticores.

The turrets available are: 2 battle cannon, 2 demolisher, 1 executioner, 1 exterminator, 1 vanquisher, 2 BC/Vanq, 1 punisher/executioner/demolisher/nova.

Given those options, I'm going to have 4 commanders (one being Pask) and 3 basic battle tanks. Is Pask still best in a Punisher? I feel 40 rerollable shots is good. I've read it's more common to put him in an executioner though. Why's that?

How about the other commanders? I know I'll be taking a BC commander for the hammer of Sundrance.

Also, I'm going full cadian for the army to take advantage of overlapping fields of fire. Worth it, or overkill?

Advice is appreciated!

The Tactica Russ while outdated covers some bits that may help, but generally as you'd expect you want to make the most of his abilities. The more shots fired, the more you get from his shooting. Template (formerly) weapons suffer from the random element so are still the less popular choice for him, but thanks to changes I think the field is more level now.

I have had good success with Pask delivering torrents of plasma death, you can fairly safely overcharge and will likely have a Techpriest nearby to help. He obliterates most things in short order and thanks to his ballistic skill he can even bring down flyers without much issue ;) He is target #1 however so there is still merit in not making him the nastiest thing on the board, so I think you can fairly justify any choice :)

Regardless of army composition, Overlapping fields of fire is excellent and really helps against deathstars and the like :tu:

I wouldn't want pask in a punisher or demolisher because of the short 24" range. The closer you get to the enemy the easier it is to charge you. The executioner has the 36" to keep him safe. I normally opt for the battle cannon with it's 72" range, it's just a shame he can't have the hammer of sunderance relic! One of my uses for pask is similar to a tau marker light, shoot the biggest thing on the opposition's force and pop overlapping fields of fire strategum for the +1 to hit.

I tried a 2000pt list against a nasty Commander/Riptide/Drone list. I ended up wiping him out and capturing all of the objectives at the same time. 

I understand the appeal of Pask in an Executioner (that's what I put him in). Overheating really isn't an issue, the AP is nice, and the flat 2 damage is pretty decent. The only downside is that you get fewer shots than with a standard LRBT, so I'm not 100% sure I'd prefer it. It provides a reliable amount of damage at a premium cost.

Holy Emperor the Demolishers hit hard. It made me seriously consider putting tank commanders in them; the downside is that would make them extremely appealing targets. On that note, Pask and the Punisher TC were already appealing targets and they were targeted early. The punisher died before I even had turn 1, while pask didn't survive the game. The other two TC did though; being in regular LRBTs they probably weren't so "scary". 

So, now I debate. The punisher was too scary to let live, so if Pask was in it he'd probably be toast right away. The executioner is a more reliable LRBT but without the extra guns, but the TC with the Hammer I think is even more dangerous. So what, plop him in an executioner and just settle that that's the most reasonable choice? I dunno.

@SadisticFurvy - Your tank commanders in Demolishers, were they killed quickly? Or no more quick than any other LR?

You can only shoot each of your guns once when a unit charges you. The good thing is that if that charge fails and another unit tries again, things like defensive gunner and vengeance for cadia still apply for the new overwatch. Edited by sairence

In theory, Punisher and Demolisher are the most tempting, as one best capitalizes on the good BS, and the other is the hardest hitter.

But in practice, avoid both: in a game in which tanks have less wounds than planes, Leman Russes are funnily fragile nowadays, and Tank Commanders are just as fragile as normal tanks (except for the pop smoke order, but they do not get to use it often).

Since the best defence is avoid getting targeted, go for the turrets with the longest range: but since Vanquisher and Exterminator are :cuss, the only real choice is the Battlecannon (+LC, no sponsons). Second choice is the Executioner, but it is more dangerous if you do not know what you are facing.

This way you can at least stay out of range of some weapons, while still shooting yours, and hopefully last till turn 3-4. Tank Commanders with 24" range weapons rarely survive past turn 1, sadly.