Red Butchers

techsoldaten

I've been bringing a World Eater's detachment with a 10-man Red Butchers unit. VotLW and Wild Fury turn these guys into wrecking balls just with the Combi-Bolter / Power Axes.

Last game, I brought a heavy flamer but never got to use it because charges were too long. I'm not hot on Reaper Autocannons and I'm not going dual Lightning Claws.

Any advice on how to best equip them?

Do they need the power axes? Wouldnt Chainaxes be a cheaper and almost just as good option? By the limitations you posted (no Reaper, no dual Claw, Flamer doesnt work) I would say Chainaxe and Combi-bolter, maybe Combi-Melter/Plasma.

Realistically I would go for Dual Claws at least on 4 of 10 models, one model Reaper Autocannon + Chainfist and maybe 5 models with Combi-Bolter/Chainaxe as losses.

The squad I'm painting has a couple of dual claws and chainfists, but is mostly combi-bolters and chainaxes. If I were putting together a squad from scratch with no limits on weapon options, I'd probably go chainaxes and 2-3 chainfists for melee, and combi-bolters for ranged.

My reasoning is that Berzerkers already carve up almost anything, and Red Butchers with chainaxes have the same base damage output as Berzerkers. Throwing in a few chainfists makes them able to split charges against vehicles and infantry and do a ton of damage to both, or charge a Knight and have a reasonable chance to kill it.

With Evil Bolter Drill I'm not even worrying about Reaper Autocannons. Too many points for a heavy weapon (so -1 to hit most of the time) with as many shots as a combi-bolter and marginally better chance to wound against most targets.

I think the best way to run them is to rely on chainaxes/combi-bolters. It's cheap and efficient. There is an argument to be made for lightning claws but I'd still keep them pretty cheap just because of how powerful they're going to be for the points cost. Perhaps throw a handful of fists/chainfists/claws into a 10 man squad if you have the points

Has anyone tried them with all Power Fists? Obviously more points, but with the math I’ve done I think a squad of 8 can kill a knight with only their first wave of attacks with a little strat help.(+1 to wound and additional -1 ap)

With good placement you could pile into a second vehicle of some kind and smash that(if it’s available).

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pretty lengthy post about this lost in the old community thread:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/294527-gods-of-the-arena-a-world-eaters-community/?p=5444036

I’m sure I made a mistake or two or three with my calculations, and it’s been a while since I wrote it, so make of it what you will. I think the points still stand even with mathematical errors.

Edited by Juggernut

• 6 months later...
I’m choosing the cheaper option and will be adding a 9 man squad, all with chain axe and combibolter, the Champion gets a chainfist. I want these guys to be chewing up infantry, I’ll have helbrutes and deamon engines for tanks. With chain axes they even threaten most vehicles with a stratagem or two.

I’m choosing the cheaper option and will be adding a 9 man squad, all with chain axe and combibolter, the Champion gets a chainfist. I want these guys to be chewing up infantry, I’ll have helbrutes and deamon engines for tanks. With chain axes they even threaten most vehicles with a stratagem or two.

Not like you can go wrong with this loadout. I’d just prefer Berzerkers for my chainaxing. That being said, they’re the closest we’ve got for a solid infantry objective taker/holder IMO.

Edited by Juggernut