Unit of the Week: Terminator Squad

Jolemai

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Terminator Squad

sml_gallery_62972_11847_95654.jpg
Terminators, appiah5

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Terminator Squad?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved changes affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog, transport, or Teleport Strike?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices? How are you using the Teleport Homer?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Nb: Please note that Relic Terminator Squad and Terminator Assault Squad will be covered in a separate entry

Edited by Jolemai
Updated!

Haven't used them post Blood of Baal update, but I have had some success dropping in 6-7 with an assault cannon and using Strike of the Archangels (re-roll all hits until the start of your next turn). Just a shame I could rarely make 9" charges (don't rate my chances of doing 8" either tbf).

Teleport homer I usually place near my castle or home objective, think I've only used it once (either dead TDA or the enemy get too close).

I'm a big fan of Terminators, and not just for their looks and fluff! They might be unpopular with tournament lists but if you play in a more casual setting they are great.

Personally Terminators should default to being in reserve unless you have some specific cunning plan (or are running an entire army of Terminators!) as by Deep Striking and using the new Stormbolter rules you can lay down some punishing firepower on a juicy target. Adding in a Heavy Weapon is a requirement and naturally this will defer to your meta and your plans for them. I prefer the Assault Cannon or Cyclone Missile Launcher for some long ranged firepower but the Heavy Flamer sees more use when I run them along with Assault Terminators.

Now perhaps Terminators are not that good you can build a list around them (though I have and will continue to do so :happy.:) but for support coming in from Reserves they are decent, able to lay down some firepower and then hopefully charge into something already engaged. Or something not already in combat, the point is you're paying for those Power Fists so you want to use them.

Having mentioned Assault, of course Terminators are no slouch in combat either. The -1 to hit is an annoyance but this can be countered with an accompanying Chaplain (in Terminator armour of course!) and if you're going all in with Characters add in a Sanguinary Priest (sadly not in Terminator armour) for good measure, or maybe throw in a Captain (yes, in Terminator armour) instead of a Chaplain if you life, or pick a Lieutanant to deal with those frustrating 1's To Wound (again disappointingly not in Terminator armour). Either way the new Marine buffs of +1 Attack in the first round helps our Terminators get some more hits in. Sprinkle in some Chainfists to taste :wub:

Squads of 5 Terminators are popular for good reason and I really think you should run 10 in total at the least. For optimium kudos and awe use a minimum of 20, but ideally your entire army should be Terminators. Seperate squads for flexibility is best, but why not go all in now and then with a doom squad of 10? :teehee: It's quite a sight to see a full squad of Terminators and your opponent will be so impressed and in respect they will shower them with attention :biggrin.:

A word on Teleport Homers: don't forget to take them and use them! In countless games I've used it actually only once... but I like to think that's as my Terminators are doing such a good job they don't need to relocate :P Seriously though, dot them around your deployment zone in areas you think your opponent might try and deepstrike near or by a unit/firebase you expect them to try and dislodge. It could save the day!

To conclude: Terminators aren't cheap (though they are cheaper :wink: ) as you will want to support them with a character or two. If you plan it right you can have these characters already on the table doing their thing and supporting other units when you bring in the Terminators for the coup de grace. Don't believe all the naysayers, dust off your Terminators and give them a go! :yes:

They got a really nice buff with our native +1 to charge rolls now and also with the +2 to charge rolls litany from chaplains. Definitely useable in less competetive lists. Still too expensive compared to Sanguinary Guard unfortunately though.

Turn two may be the best time to deploy them now given we are almost always in Tactical Doctrine at that point.

Absolutely. Even a minimum squad smashing out 16-20 S4 AP-1 shots (heavy weapon depending) is super good. Personally I think a Heavy Weapon isn't needed and is a waste of points:

- Heavy Flamer too short ranged

- Cyclones very expensive, already in Tactical Doctrine

- Assault Cannons aren't much better than a Storm Bolter in Tactical

Edited by Jolemai
Removed OT part

I think vanilla Termies are subtly good now. Their hidden benefit is that they can be incredibly self reliant (fitting given they are 1st Company Vets).

As others have said, you drop them in T2 to get that juicy bolter storm with AP-1. You can them pop Fury of the First to get +1 To Hit with the bolters. Then, if you get the charge off, you can pop Fury of the First again to undo the penalties of their Power Fists (it’s worded that you use the Strategem per phase). If you really want to spend some CP, pop Strike of the Archangels at the start of the Turn for re-rolls for the entire Turn as well.

While I personally think the Deathwatch/Space Wolves ability to “build a bear” with all weapons (shooting and CQC etc...) should be applied to all Termies of all stripes, the vanilla build of Storm Bolter + Power Fist is basically a heavy punch unit that brings its own chaff removal. As such, when used properly, it can be great for throwing at a flank, with just enough survivability to require the enemy to overcommit to killing while still packing a literal punch when they finally get into combat.

I'd say vanilla termies are now solidly in the ok tier for us. The tactical doctrine and bolter discipline means their storm bolters now pack a half-decent punch, and have the range that you can shoot at 1 thing and charge what you landed 9" away from pretty easily, and the +1 to charge distances substantially increasing your success rate on those charges, even with just a command point reroll. (Should be roughly a 68% chance if you commit to rerolling your low die and therefore make the odds 3d6 drop low)

Of course the new Icon of the Angel lets you reroll 1 or both dice, giving you an even better chance, or the chaplain litany giving you a non-stacking +2.

And they also aren't an awful unit to throw Transhuman Physiology on, as what removes them easily is stuff like overcharged plasma that wounds on a 2, reducing that to a 4+ can be a big deal.

I would avoid any of the heavy weapons though, as cool as assault cannons are, it isn't worth the heavy penalty for 2 extra shots and +2 str, as Str6 is super weak in 8th.

They aren't going to show up in hyper-competitive lists, but I don't think taking tactical terminators makes your list actively worse, if you have a plan for them. I think Sanguinary Guard are probably *better* overall, but the termies have access to strats that can replace the buffing characters SG need, so could be neat for a self-sufficient unit you don't have to worry about auras for.

If you do want a buffing character with them, I'd say either a termie/sanguinary ancient with SoS is your best bet, a 5+++ on 2 wound infantry is hilariously good at making them survive 2 damage attacks.

Edited by Jolemai
OT removed as per disclaimer

Does an all Terminator army work? That depends on a lot but the short answer is yes - with the caveat that I play in a casual setting. This was before the latest buffs for our codex too!

It will be unexpected so it has that benefit - a lot will depend on your meta and the armies you play against so it's difficult to give you a concrete answer. The only thing I can say with a certainty is that your army will look absolutely amazing on the table :biggrin.:

Naturally there have been times where my all Terminator army has had a bad matchup but these things happen - it could happen to nearly any army. You shouldn't let that dissuade you from what is an awesome idea :tu:

Ah, fair enough! :tu: After all this Terminator talk I've gone and made a Terminator army for my next game. Almost. Couldn't quite make the points then I realised the last 50 I was struggling to spend was a Sanguinary Novitiate :happy.:

• 2 years later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:07 AM, Jolemai said:

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Terminator Squad

sml_gallery_62972_11847_95654.jpg
Terminators, appiah5

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Terminator Squad?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog, transport, or Teleport Strike?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices? How are you using the Teleport Homer?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Nb: Please note that Cataphractii Terminator Squad, Tartaros Terminator Squad, and Terminator Assault Squad will be covered in a separate entry

Updated for 9th post-Nephilim.

Another unit seeing a small revival (arguably moreso at the end of Nachmund, but then, not everyone plays Nephilim so...). How are you making use of your "Tactical" Terminator Squad(s) and what heavy weapon choice is working for you? (Again, other TDA units should be discussed in their relevant entries).

AoC has definitely given them a much needed durability boost. Put them in cover and they make good Objective holders. 

The downside is that AoC (and forthcoming Votan) has taken taken the shine of Assault Cannons and Heavy flamers somewhat which rely on volume AP-1 shots. Not every opponent is going to ignore AP-1 but enough are that I am not certain if they are worth it in TAC lists. If you want a heavy weapon then then Cyclone might have mileage but I think you could make a case for keeping them cheap and sticking with Storm bolters throughout. Putting a couple of Chainfists in for the AP-4 looks like a decent move.

Important point about the chainfists now being free tbh. As for the CML, it might be too much of a luxury, especially if the unit is arriving via teleport. 

I'm can't say I'm having much success with teleporting Terminators atm. Maybe I need to be less aggressive and simply use them as support?