How to pick your Rites

Slasher956

So the question is how do you pick your sacred rites?

Now I'm not meaning when you select just the one rite but when you gamble and go for two using the cards...

Do you roll 2D6 and then take the cards out fo the deck 

OR 

do you select two cards from the deck? - As the rulebook allows you to do for Tactical Objectives (either roll the dice then see what TacObj you get OR just pull the card from the deck)

Now the issue with the doing it the second way is it removes the chance of duplicating your rite - which is allowed in the rules (no extra benifit, just takes 2 CP to remove it if you get one thats no good for you!)

So should we only roll or would you allow /do pull two cards?

I think you should have to roll.  Otherwise there is no downside of rolling duplicates (it was an intended mechanic that was called out in the choice as a possible pitfall).  One of the few times I would be a bit more strict on the wording that I otherwise would be.  Mainly because it would only impact me :)

Again, the ONLY reason I would hold to the rolling instead of drawing restriction is because the system specifically states that it is possible to only generate 1 Sacred Rite by doing it that way.

Alternatively, if you had 2 sets of Sacred Rites cards and wanted to draw from them instead... knock yourself out!

I think you should have to roll. Otherwise there is no downside of rolling duplicates (it was an intended mechanic that was called out in the choice as a possible pitfall). One of the few times I would be a bit more strict on the wording that I otherwise would be. Mainly because it would only impact me :)

Again, the ONLY reason I would hold to the rolling instead of drawing restriction is because the system specifically states that it is possible to only generate 1 Sacred Rite by doing it that way.

Alternatively, if you had 2 sets of Sacred Rites cards and wanted to draw from them instead... knock yourself out!

Agreed here, though provided it is a friendly game.

Whether intentional or otherwise, cards can get marked. If we're playing a competitive match where victory matters, I would ask that it be selected by a roll and not by drawing cards.

That or I suppose just sleeve the cards? That would work for me, personally.

Whether intentional or otherwise, cards can get marked. If we're playing a competitive match where victory matters, I would ask that it be selected by a roll and not by drawing cards.

but only if they had 2 sets?  OR would you be happy at me pulling 2 cards out of my 6, so having 0 chance of getting a double?

but only if they had 2 sets?  OR would you be happy at me pulling 2 cards out of my 6, so having 0 chance of getting a double?

If we're playing a friendly match, and you really wanted to do that, then I'd personally allow it. I don't like feels bad moments at the start of a match, and rolling doubles for that would just suck for you given how random they are already, even if it's just like a 16.66% chance for it to happen...

Actually, that kind of gives me an idea...what if you rolled a separate die before drawing, and on a 1, you only got to draw 1?

It would simulate doubles pretty accurately I think. After all, out of the number of potential dice combinations you can get from a 2d6 throw (36 total), only 6 are doubles, which is exactly a 1/6 chance. 

Edited by Lemondish

Yeah that would work.. Then the 1st time you use the rites strat you just take a 2nd rite... Then people don't need 2 sets of rites cards (although there might be some flying round on ebay for cheep enough)

Or if you use cards, you could draw the first card, show it so everyone knows what it is, put it back in and shuffle and get opponent to cut then you draw your second card?

I always select one of them. Rolling a 6 would be fairly useless as I play Sacred Rose.

You should still roll for morale even if you can't pass, can't fail, or know that you'll only lose one from Sacred Rose. It's a source of MD after all. 

This particular Rite gives you more reliability from that particular source of MD, especially as Sacred Rose. 

Edited by Lemondish

To be fair the worse case scenario in randomly choosing is you get double 3 (I think that the number, the one that gives you the +3 to deny tests) against Tau* :p

*or any other force that doesnt have psychers.

Good thing you get to pick or roll after deployment, meaning you aren't locked into one or two specific Sacred Rites for an entire tournament and meaning you know your opponent doesn't have psykers so you pick a rite that will have some effect.

Not that I'm convinced Sacred Rites are worth giving up pretty much any allies for but...

:shrug:

Roll 2d6. The Battle Rites stratagem is only a single CP if you want to change one out due to a double (or for any other reason), and as it blocks currently active ones - including the one you're about to turn off - it almost guarantees you'll get something more useful.

Even if you roll double 3s against non-psykers you can have that fixed entirely by your round 2 unless you get your Warlord killed :-)

Note: If you're going for the roll, don't select an Inquisitor ally as your Warlord or you can't fix poor results!

Good thing you get to pick or roll after deployment, meaning you aren't locked into one or two specific Sacred Rites for an entire tournament and meaning you know your opponent doesn't have psykers so you pick a rite that will have some effect.

Not that I'm convinced Sacred Rites are worth giving up pretty much any allies for but...

Played with 2 randoms tonight against Tau...got re-roll moral and 5+ attack....

The moral thing only came in to play twice in 2 turns(run out of time at the club)..failed to do anything! The 5+ attack when you die brought some interesting results... killed off the last couple of models in a unit in the charge phase :p

Played with 2 randoms tonight against Tau...got re-roll moral and 5+ attack....

The moral thing only came in to play twice in 2 turns(run out of time at the club)..failed to do anything! The 5+ attack when you die brought some interesting results... killed off the last couple of models in a unit in the charge phase :tongue.:

That Rite is really good, it works on Exorcists :)

I never remember to do that one. I'd much rather have the extra hits in melee (I play bloody rose, and take a lot of Celestians and the Miley Cyrus Wrecking ball canonnes.)

But I don't really like picking, since it feels anticlimactic, so I always roll, and have gotten that one pretty much every time.