New SoB player here..

Shinn

Hey all...I like others have started with the "Limited Edition" starter box and decided to play Martyred Lady due to books and rule or cool. Preordered 2 BSS boxes and one retributor to pick up this weekend.

But now I'm at a loss of what I should nab for preorder this weekend. Would you help a newbie out?

Since the BSS box sets can create standard Sisters, and the various other units (Celestians and Dominions), you should consider grabbing at least another box or two, and definitely another Retributor set. Its annoying the Retributors are packed five girls to a box, but there you go, and you'll need to decide if you want heavy anti-armour capability or be able to dump bolter shots or flames at infantry, as with only four Sisters doing the heavy-lifting, you don't want to generalize.

Most important thing at this point is have a plan before you dig into the sprues.

Agreed. Also being able to put a heavy weapon into a sisters unit can be advantageous. Also building retributors with 4 multimeltas and putting them in a rhino or repressor (if you have one) and rushing the field with seraphim cover can put a wrench into your opponents plans.

First off - welcome to the sisterhood!

Now, If you can afford it then look at 2 x exorcists, you can either run them as long range fire support or (until our ones are released) not attach the pipes and command pulpit then run them as rhinos..

For OoOML, look at running a couple of small repentia squads.. if they get in to combat good S6 AP-2 D2 weapons, if they die before hand each nets you 1 miracle dice (MD) and for order & one from their own rules....just don’t expect them to live long...trust me people only ignore then once :p

Agreed. Also being able to put a heavy weapon into a sisters unit can be advantageous. Also building retributors with 4 multimeltas and putting them in a rhino or repressor (if you have one) and rushing the field with seraphim cover can put a wrench into your opponents plans.

Sorry but the repressor is an OOP FW vehicle not found in the new dex...so the OP won’t be able to get one easily....

If you're 100% on board for Our Martyred Lady: Repentia and Junith are slam dunks.  You're going to want more standard battle sisters, as well.  Maybe pick up a Rhino and/or a Missionary model.  I would definitely look at a couple of Exorcists, though, they're really good.

You'll want big squads of sisters (10-15) to leverage that +1 to hit after suffering casualties.  Repentia to dice stuff up and give you a miracle die when they inevitably explode.  Exorcists can be your long-range support.

Also: welcome :D

Thanks for all the advice. I plan to get at least 2 more boxes of retributors just to have a full squad of all 3 weapons. Also plan on a few more of the troop box...but in the slow grow league I'm in we're required to make a purchase over 2 weeks so I'll get more towards the end.

Again.. thank you everyone.

2 Exorcists are a must, they'll be in every list you build.

Multimelta retributors are situational at best.

A full squad of heavy bolter rets is useful, heavy flamers are optional.  For the basic battle sister box girls, at least 4 meltagun girls (to run as either two squads of BSS w/2x meltaguns and combimelta superior, or as a dominion squad with 4x meltaguns and combimelta superior), and at least six stormbolter girls (because 3x 5 BSS w/2 stormbolters is the standard of every sisters battalion).

Next up look at Seraphim with inferno pistols, they'll also be in almost every list you make.

Hold off on Junith whateverhernameis to start, Martyred Lady is great, but if you opt to play around and run your girls as Valourous Heart, Argent Shroud, Bloody Rose, etc, poor Junith will sit on the shelf and that's money you could spend on Exorcists.  Scoop up a few rhinos/immos (assuming the Exorcist isn't a double kit...which for $100 it better be...) as your T3 girls love their metal boxes.

After that you should have a good enough idea of what you like playing with and can add a repentia module (mistress, repentia, rhino, missionary/priest), more rets, mortifiers etc. to season to taste.

<snip> (because 3x 5 BSS w/2 stormbolters is the standard of every sisters battalion).

<snip>

.  Scoop up a few rhinos/immos (assuming the Exorcist isn't a double kit...which for $100 it better be...) as your T3 girls love their metal boxes.

<snip>

nope... 3 x 5 girls is NOT the standard... its your standard :p.... personally I run 10 girls in all my units

Immolators are a different box ... we have pictures of both boxs, + the rhinos are a 3rd box.... :(

I've personally been running 3 boltguns + 1 combi-melta and the Simulacrum lady in my BSS squads.  Keeps the cost down.  I haven't run 10 sister squads lately, but I play Valorous Heart and try to fill out a Brigade or 2 Battalions.  If I want to go up to 10, I usually put in a couple of melta + combi-flamer.  I like keeping the shorter-ranged weapon on a combi-platform, though, so at least I can get the extra bolt round before closing to flamer/melta range.  I also tend to play castled up and move out slowly, using the battle sister squads to slow down assault troops before they can hit the valuable squads.

Ultimately, I don't think there is an "industry standard" way to run battle sisters.  Take some time and think of what they need to be doing during the game, and then kit accordingly.

<snip> (because 3x 5 BSS w/2 stormbolters is the standard of every sisters battalion).

<snip>

.  Scoop up a few rhinos/immos (assuming the Exorcist isn't a double kit...which for $100 it better be...) as your T3 girls love their metal boxes.

<snip>

nope... 3 x 5 girls is NOT the standard... its your standard :tongue.:.... personally I run 10 girls in all my units

Immolators are a different box ... we have pictures of both boxs, + the rhinos are a 3rd box.... :sad.:

Regardless of whether it's BSS squads of 10 or 5, for a new player, having 4 sisters with meltaguns and 6 sisters with stormbolters will make their way into most lists and are good special weapon options when building the initial few boxes of battle sisters.  After that it's probably a good idea to build a few superiors with either combimelta or combiflamer and add boltgun girls to taste.

Yeah, bkde has the truth of it.

Dominions with Storm Bolters are a CHEAP unit that can punish people who laugh at their loadout.  If they drop a bunch of fire on them, you're out 58 points from your army, and it isn't a big loss.  I think they're almost a win-win unit.

Meltaguns have a ton of value in the army, and having them sprinkled around is very dangerous with the Miracle Dice mechanic.  I am trying to run a standard of 1 melta weapon + 1 Simulacrum in as many of my filler units as possible to give them some late game threat on the table after my key units have been removed.  I'm also thinking of a squad of Celestians with 2 Melta + Combi-melta just to abuse their natural re-rolls and have some use for their stratagem where they can re-roll wounds as well.  Keep them with a martial canoness and maybe a missionary or preacher?  I dunno, sprinkle to taste at that point.  But it would be pretty scary when closing, again keeping eyes off of Retributors and Exorcists.