HRE/Teutonic Order Concept

Looking good overall, lots of nice details.

One thing that doesn't quite feel right to me about these Deep Terrors is the point that they seem to feed on fear, but the young children are less affected/targeted by them? Maybe I've just read IT too many times, but it feels to me more likely that the children would be a preferred prey? Maybe you could make it that the young ones are extra protected (imagine if all the parents in IT actually believed in Pennywise the clown) throughout their early years and as you said have it drilled into them to be cautious and efficient. Then it would be more of a shock being sent to the moon trial and suddenly having to put all that training into effect?

Hmm, valid points.

To address Bjorn's first, I wanted the final trial to be a serious trial against fear within the self and an overcoming of that. They aren't told when their trial ends, barely when it starts really. If you've never had to endure complete and total isolation before, it can really be psychosis inducing. I don't mean modern quarantine with our amenities, I mean a forced isolation. There's no one around, they're stuck in their void suits, possibly until they die. They can't hear anything beyond themselves and the moon is an interminable wasteland.

The failing is in my description, it's hard for me to convey the sheer pressure and sanity-breaking nature of being totally and utterly alone without any means of communication when you've spent your entire life in the company of others, at any moment.

Lysimachus, cheers! I hope it's looking alright, the point you make is really good.

One explanation is that ever since I had kids of my own, anything to do with harm to children really triggers the hell out of me, which can make some jobs hard to process and the news media is just awash with stories when they hit, which makes me want to not have the kids come to any harm.

The other is that I think I justified it in that for kids fear is learned and perhaps given their grouped and somewhat isolated status from the rest of the society, it isn't taught as fear. It's only when they age out of the schooling system and begin working as an adult without the safety buffer of their environment the creeping dread sets in, obviously made worse by any attacks and killings that happen every day.

I think it's less that base adrenaline dump of the bodies fear response, and the creation of anxiety, long term dread and despair that the creatures are more drawn towards. You imagine the difference now between a 5 year old who's not yet learned that the world can hurt them, and a 45 year old miner or lumberjack who for the last 30 years has lived with having to look over his shoulder and experience his colleagues and loved ones being brutalized by the creatures.

However I'm not sure how best to describe this, because as with most things psychological in nature, there's a lot verbose explanation to achieve comprehension.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it?

Edited by Grey Hunter Ydalir

Use of drugs (see the League of Shadows administering fear toxin to Bruce Wayne as part of his initiation into their order, in Batman Begins), isolation chambers, and psychic attacks can test the recruits in the manner you wish, without forcing the Chapter to expend resources manufacturing thousands of void suits (which are reusable, but whose wearers will likely damage them when they panic, making repairs and outright replacement necessary), transporting the recruits to and from the moon. If you think your idea lets the Chapter "kill two birds with one stone," please describe the other "bird." I proposed the Chapter's Marines simultaneously hunt Deep Terrors while the recruits undergo the Final Trials, as the recruits' terror serves as bait to draw the xenos from their hidden nests on the moon. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

I'm thinking this through and I've got a couple of ideas to adapt what I've got and lean into what you're suggesting.

Such as: Despite how vigilantly the people of Innsbruck cut back the forest and burned the creature nests they could find, the horrors always returned. No matter what crusade was launched against their nemesis, they always returned. What they could not have known was that the true source of the creatures was the worlds moon. Upon study by the chapter and the Mechanicus, the moon was far, far older than any other celestial body in the Rift. Removal of the moon would both be too destabilizing for the planet below, as well as prevent the Mechanicus from studying the mysterious xenos.

The final trial for the Aspirants is to individually find and burn out a nest on the moon, mastering their own fear lest they be drowned by spawning an unending tide of dark horror.

(More elaboration for the actual section)

As I work out the rough edges above, I'll continue to grind on with the article.

Combat Doctrine.

The operational doctrine of the Lions has been forged almost entirely by necessity. From a rushed deployment at half strength, to being forced to take control and stabilize an entire region, Imperial or otherwise. While the modern evolution of the chapter has been able to step back from rule, their methods of prosecuting war and campaigning remain just as effective as they were during the worst times.

Extreme discipline and efficiency of action dictate their entire operational structure, from command all the way to scout training and induction. Those who wish to criticize the chapter are likely to refer to them as little better than unthinking machines, lacking any art or passion in their war-fighting, the most embittered critics willing to compare them to the Iron Warriors and whispering of their lack of compassion. The reality however is a far cry from the cold, calculating grind of attrition attributed to Purturabo and his willingness to sacrifice his sons for victory. While willing to trade lives for victory and the accomplishment of a task set before them, they will seek to take the single most efficient path, no matter what it is to achieve it. The Lions will most commonly strike for the throat, to decapitate the foe and remove all vestiges of command and control.

Nominally the chapter is seen to operate as a codex compliant chapter, with the only significant divergences being in overall structure, noted as the questing Forlorn Hope, as well as a lower total number of battle companies. The chapter operates under the values of seven large battle companies, representative of the seven 'circles' or city-states of Innsbruck. The Forlorn Hope are treated as a larger but decentralized first company given their mission statement, while what would be the scout company maintains the chapters fortresses, recruitment as well as being responsible for keeping the eldritch horrors on the planet in check.

Unlike many of their cousin chapters however, they aren't likely to just leap into the middle of a battle. Nor are they likely to break ranks and charge heedlessly toward their foe. When a foe needs to be broken immediately however, company veterans - many of which being survivors of the Forlorn Hope - are deployed directly into the enemy line. They crash into the foe, wielding huge zweihanders and poleaxes to butcher their enemies without pause nor mercy until there none remaining, cutting down anyone cowardly enough to flee, brooking no retreat to fight again as well as a disgust of those who gave into their fear.

This distaste for cowardice is infamous however among their mortal allies, with the Lions having a particular disdain for cowardice in battle, where your failure to manage your own fear affects your brothers in arms. On the other side of the coin however, they do not appreciate the role of the Commissar to gain compliance through fear, the Lions preferring a man master himself first. Without being fanatical in this view, the chapter expects the best from the men they fight beside. Any regiment or naval officer that breaks and flees however is no better than the enemy and are treated as such. Many self-serving or cowardly naval officers and militarum commanders have met their end at the hands of a Lion, and their reputation precedes them in this regard, wherever they tread.

Such as: Despite how vigilantly the people of Innsbruck cut back the forest and burned the creature nests they could find, the horrors always returned. No matter what crusade was launched against their nemesis, they always returned. What they could not have known was that the true source of the creatures was the worlds moon. Upon study by the chapter and the Mechanicus, the moon was far, far older than any other celestial body in the Rift. Removal of the moon would both be too destabilizing for the planet below, as well as prevent the Mechanicus from studying the mysterious xenos.

The final trial for the Aspirants is to individually find and burn out a nest on the moon, mastering their own fear lest they be drowned by spawning an unending tide of dark horror.

I like this idea. Say the "Deep Terrors" on Innsbruck are astral projections, to explain why the xenos will "always return," unless their true bodies are destroyed in their hidden nests on the moon?

Combat Doctrine.

The operational doctrine of the Lions has been forged almost entirely by necessity. From a rushed deployment at half strength, to being forced to take control and stabilize an entire region, Imperial or otherwise. While the modern evolution of the chapter has been able to step back from rule, their methods of prosecuting war and campaigning remain just as effective as they were during the worst times.

Extreme discipline and efficiency of action dictate their entire operational structure, from command all the way to scout training and induction. Those who wish to criticize the chapter are likely to refer to them as little better than unthinking machines, lacking any art or passion in their war-fighting, the most embittered critics willing to compare them to the Iron Warriors and whispering of their lack of compassion. The reality however is a far cry from the cold, calculating grind of attrition attributed to Purturabo and his willingness to sacrifice his sons for victory. While willing to trade lives for victory and the accomplishment of a task set before them, they will seek to take the single most efficient path, no matter what it is to achieve it.

This is competently written.

The Lions will most commonly strike for the throat, to decapitate the foe and remove all vestiges of command and control.

I read Dan Abnett's Horus Rising, and remember the First Warmaster encouraging his sons to "tear out the [enemy's] throat." Will Abaddon (falsely or otherwise) claim your Chapter's Marines are his "brothers"?

Nominally the chapter is seen to operate as a codex compliant chapter, with the only significant divergences being in overall structure, noted as the questing Forlorn Hope, as well as a lower total number of battle companies. The chapter operates under the values of seven large battle companies, representative of the seven 'circles' or city-states of Innsbruck. The Forlorn Hope are treated as a larger but decentralized first company given their mission statement, while what would be the scout company maintains the chapters fortresses, recruitment as well as being responsible for keeping the eldritch horrors on the planet in check.

Unlike many of their cousin chapters however, they aren't likely to just leap into the middle of a battle. Nor are they likely to break ranks and charge heedlessly toward their foe. When a foe needs to be broken immediately however, company veterans - many of which being survivors of the Forlorn Hope - are deployed directly into the enemy line. They crash into the foe, wielding huge zweihanders and poleaxes to butcher their enemies without pause nor mercy until there none remaining, cutting down anyone cowardly enough to flee, brooking no retreat to fight again as well as a disgust of those who gave into their fear.

This distaste for cowardice is infamous however among their mortal allies, with the Lions having a particular disdain for cowardice in battle, where your failure to manage your own fear affects your brothers in arms.

This is well-written.

On the other side of the coin however, they do not appreciate the role of the Commissar to gain compliance through fear, the Lions preferring a man master himself first. Without being fanatical in this view, the chapter expects the best from the men they fight beside. Any regiment or naval officer that breaks and flees however is no better than the enemy and are treated as such. Many self-serving or cowardly naval officers and militarum commanders have met their end at the hands of a Lion, and their reputation precedes them in this regard, wherever they tread.

This is questionable. Marines do not punish Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy officers for cowardice, for the same reason Commissars do not punish Marines for insubordination: They do not have the authority to discipline another Imperial military service's personnel. The Inquisition will likely view any Chapter that REPEATEDLY executes Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy personnel, as the Astral Claws (Red Corsairs) 2.0, and order the Chapter disbanded or destroyed.

I like this idea. Say the "Deep Terrors" on Innsbruck are astral projections, to explain why the xenos will "always return," unless their true bodies are destroyed in their hidden nests on the moon?

Perhaps, perhaps a little understood instinctive xenos ability. The astral projections are for all intent and purpose physical and real but as you say, always return.

I read Dan Abnett's Horus Rising, and remember the First Warmaster encouraging his sons to "tear out the [enemy's] throat." Will Abaddon (falsely or otherwise) claim your Chapter's Marines are his "brothers"?

Hah! Well perhaps, if only to sow discord. It'd be interesting, to say the least! Maybe a comparison made by their detractors as well.

This is questionable. Marines do not punish Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy officers for cowardice, for the same reason Commissars do not punish Marines for insubordination: They do not have the authority to discipline another Imperial military service's personnel. The Inquisition will likely view any Chapter that REPEATEDLY executes Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy personnel, as the Astral Claws (Red Corsairs) 2.0, and order the Chapter disbanded or destroyed.

I'd hesitate to say 'repeatedly' as in it's an every day occurrence. That said, I don't think they would be looked at too intensely if it were say a legitimate judgement of an officer, especially a command officer at a critical moment in a battle or campaign. Doubly so if that amounted in a victory for the Imperium.

This also has to be taken in to account with the chapter and the entire region being cut off from the Imperium for an extended period, where they have had to take control of a degrading situation. Though I don't think I've addressed this in new content or in detail, yet, so it can be something to be addressed or referenced later.

Cheers Bjorn.

This is questionable. Marines do not punish Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy officers for cowardice, for the same reason Commissars do not punish Marines for insubordination: They do not have the authority to discipline another Imperial military service's personnel. The Inquisition will likely view any Chapter that REPEATEDLY executes Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy personnel, as the Astral Claws (Red Corsairs) 2.0, and order the Chapter disbanded or destroyed.[/size][/font]

I'd hesitate to say 'repeatedly' as in it's an every day occurrence. That said, I don't think they would be looked at too intensely if it were say a legitimate judgement of an officer, especially a command officer at a critical moment in a battle or campaign. Doubly so if that amounted in a victory for the Imperium.
To satisfy the Commissariat (and the Inquisition in turn), have the Marines bring the accused before the Chaplains for judgment. The Chaplain should contact the Commissariat, forward supporting evidence (including audio and visual recordings), and if time permits, ask the Commissars how they wish to punish the accused.

"Proper procedures" should minimize potential conflicts.

This also has to be taken in to account with the chapter and the entire region being cut off from the Imperium for an extended period, where they have had to take control of a degrading situation. Though I don't think I've addressed this in new content or in detail, yet, so it can be something to be addressed or referenced later.

If the Chapter must take control of multiple star systems to maintain order, so be it. To avoid accusations of "empire building" (i.e., being the Astral Claws 2.0), they should groom planetary governors to takeover for them once order is restored, and pass on the responsibility the moment the governors prove their worth.

This is questionable. Marines do not punish Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy officers for cowardice, for the same reason Commissars do not punish Marines for insubordination: They do not have the authority to discipline another Imperial military service's personnel. The Inquisition will likely view any Chapter that REPEATEDLY executes Astra Militarum and Imperial Navy personnel, as the Astral Claws (Red Corsairs) 2.0, and order the Chapter disbanded or destroyed.[/size][/font]

To satisfy the Commissariat (and the Inquisition in turn), have the Marines bring the accused before the Chaplains for judgment. The Chaplain should contact the Commissariat, forward supporting evidence (including audio and visual recordings), and if time permits, ask the Commissars how they wish to punish the accused.

"Proper procedures" should minimize potential conflicts.

If the Chapter must take control of multiple star systems to maintain order, so be it. To avoid accusations of "empire building" (i.e., being the Astral Claws 2.0), they should groom planetary governors to takeover for them once order is restored, and pass on the responsibility the moment the governors prove their worth.

To your first point, that sounds fair. It can be connected to a moment in time for the chapter to have to relinquish some of their original authority for the sake of keeping the peace when the region is 'rediscovered'.

To your second, this is again more than fair, though perhaps this might be something done with the advisement of their 'allies' retaining control and authority over the region, as with their famously 'Astartes' mindset, it might not be something in their primary thought process or wheelhouse beyond just getting the job done first. I'll think on it.

Maybe pass Chapter serfs onto the new planetary governments, as Planetary and System Defense Force trainers and leaders; this should free the Astartes to move on and fight other battles.

If the recently freed planets' governors or the governors' heirs are single, marry them to the Chapter serfs-turned-PDF and SDF officers, to seal alliances that allow the Chapter to maintain order (i.e., control) over the planets.

Maybe pass Chapter serfs onto the new planetary governments, as Planetary and System Defense Force trainers and leaders; this should free the Astartes to move on and fight other battles.

If the recently freed planets' governors or the governors' heirs are single, marry them to the Chapter serfs-turned-PDF and SDF officers, to seal alliances that allow the Chapter to maintain order (i.e., control) over the planets.

Possibly, it's actually not a bad idea. Originally I had it that the chapter for all practical concerns the chapter was indeed "empire building" but without the ambition for the creation of an empire, they simply took control when required to retain stability and overall Imperial control, they very character and makeup of the chapter works against empire building, yet due to their actions borne of necessity, it negatively affects the attitude of those outside the chapter and the region as a whole.

Also in the original draft was the idea that the region closed off again, which caused the instability, and then only reopened during the indomitus crusade. I'm not exactly sure of the dates so forgive me there for accuracy's sake, but the Crusade's representatives (Custodes and perhaps a Greyshield captain I'm guessing?) force them to see the bigger picture, and make them aware that they aren't 'going it alone' anymore so to speak.

It'd be a relief for the chapter and allow them to reconcile their brothers and refocus their efforts to what truly matters to the chapter.

First Contact.

The port-side docking bay had been cleared of work crews, equipment and other fodder long before the matte-black Thunderhawk had touched down in the center of the bay. Yellow and silver highlights run the length of the craft, working both chapter heraldry and more mundane markings into something with an air of elegant utility, if such a phrase existed. Standing before the now rapidly cooling hull of the void-craft were a trio of warriors adorned in the shimmering gold of the Emperors household. Custodians all, dispatched on the order of Robute Guilliman himself, to bring both his law as Lord Regent, as well as his offer of resupply and reinforcement with his new Primaris.

A small group of ten or so grey armoured Astartes stood a beat behind the Custodians, few markings beyond rank to mark them apart from each other. As large as they seemed, they were dwarfed by the golden icons of His will in both size and presence, as even technically outnumbered, instinct alone informed that the large Astartes were still outmatched by a long margin.

The ramp of the Thunderhawk dropped with the gentle hiss of both hydraulics and atmospheric equalization and the attention of all was once again on the new arrival. The familiar thud of heavy shod Astartes boots preceding the firstborn Astartes that descended the ramp. Black and Yellow quartered livery adorned their armour, while black and white robes hung over their battle plate, purity seals fluttering gently in the artificial atmosphere of the bay. Five marines disembarked the Thunderhawk, making their way without pause or even a hint of trepidation towards the Custodians. At the lead of the formation stood their commander, marked by a white helm held mag-locked to his hip, black stripe striking through the center. His sword, as of all his brothers was held in both hands, by hilt and blade. As they neared the golden luminaries of Terra, the grey armoured warriors seemed to tense somewhat, eyes never leaving the newcomers.

After a moment of silence between the Custodians and the Marines, the commander knelt and held out his sword as an offering to the Custodians.

"I kneel to you as to the Emperor himself. My sword and my brothers are His to command. We renounce any and all holds on every world in the rift, do as He wills, we seek only to serve Him."

The center Custodian looked down finally and with the slightest incline of his head, all tension between the post-human warriors seemed to dissipate.

"Rise Lion, there is work to be done, Roboute Guilliman wills it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boxout maybe?

Cicatrix Maledictum.

When the Eye tore across the galaxy, it's power split the Imperium asunder. For millions of worlds this was the beginning of a primordial terror from the depths of the human soul made manifest, stretching the Imperium's loyal defenders to breaking point. For the people of the Rift under the protection of the Lions Astra, a different challenge was thrust upon them. It was as if the Great Rift had devoured the Nebula which previously both isolated and protected the region. Where once the worlds of the Rift had only known internecine warfare between themselves, now xenos and heretic alike were tentatively making their presence known. Mere weeks after the disruption of the nebula a Druchii slave raid from the galactic north seemed to be an unwritten spark that lit a beacon over the Rift.

A fleet of Ork Freebooterz then shortly battered their way into region from the galactic east, bringing in their wake pirates and renegades of all stripes. Almost every world called out for aid from their guardians, stretching the Lions Astra and their allies to breaking point. At their darkest moments the Lions could deploy only a handful of marines to aid each world while they mustered their strength after their campaign against the Druchii and took to the void, dismantling the Ork fleet in days before turning their attention to the raiders and pirates swarming like sharks in a feeding frenzy. While the largest threats had been struck down by the chapter with brutal efficiency, it was almost a futile effort. The sheer weight of individual ships and flotillas that were making their way into the region was an unending tide.

A Genestealer infestation sprang up among the western systems, a combined detachment of Lions and Mechanicus Skitarri having to be drawn from the already stained hosts of the defenders to burn out the vanguard Tyranid threat. This in turn opened up other worlds to the predations of a small band of traitor Astartes that had been drawn to the chaos within the region. And so it went for months without end, every larger threat shadowed by a dozen smaller, harder to catch. Death by a thousand cuts would have been a generous description. Losses amongst the Lions and their allies were horrendous. The Rift was perched upon a knife edge. The Lions were unwilling to allow even a single world that they had fought so hard to save be lost to the sea of darkness surrounding them, but it was an effort they simply could not sustain.

At the eleventh hour, a new signal broke through the seething vox-traffic of the Rift. A fleet had translated from the warp at the Rift's only safe Mandeville Point, the lead ship seeming to push past all other comm-traffic with a force previously unseen. The message was simple; +The Emperors Custodians seek the Lions Astra.+. The message had was embedded with all the sigils and of the Imperial household, encryption and machine marked so deeply so as to never be impersonated nor denied. Each command terminal and authorized cogitator across the Rift displayed the same message.

The Adeptus Custodes and the Crusade Indomitus had arrived.

Post Indomitus, Imperial Reintegration.

Upon the arrival of the Lord Regent's envoys, the Chapter Master of the Leos Alatus bent the knee in person to His companions, renouncing any and all ownership and control over all worlds beyond their home, effectively turning the entire region over to the Imperium without even a second thought. While the Custodians themselves were satisfied, long and tedious discussions were had between Imperial agencies of bureaucratic dues and tithes that each world owed continue to on as they are wont to. Each world was turned over to the Administratum as soon as it was stable enough to do so. Previous governors were vetted, anyone with ties too strong to the Lions were given the choice to either retire or sign on serve in another capacity. Almost all of these governors, sometimes entire aristocratic lines would elect to serve in the Astra Militarum or the Adeptus Arbites, to continue to protect and serve their worlds and the Imperium, a culture that had been drilled into and handed down from the moment the Lions Astra stabilized the region.

The Imperial fleet itself was put to work, the Custodians turning operational command over to the Lions Astra, allowing them to come to grips with the new Primaris reinforcements they had been assigned, all the while watching for any issues with integration or objection to the Lord Regent's new order. Over the coming months the Lions Astra and their Primaris reinforcements slew any and all who had so opportunistically brought war and suffering to the people of the Rift, the people under the protection of the Lions Astra.  With the cold fury of their Primarch they mercilessly cut through renegades and xenos until once more Dagon's Rift was stable under the banner of the Imperium.

The Lions Astra consider themselves indebted to Roboute Guilliman and his crusade to reunite the Imperium. The chapter and their home had been saved by what they consider to be the word of the Lord Regent, even going so far as to petition to have veterans of the Forlorn Hope join his personal command in the hopes of one day being worthy of a debt repaid.

-------------------------------------------------

Gotta say, nothing quite feels like it gels in either of the two bits here. It just doesn't feel quite 'right' and I can't put my finger on how or why, it's like the writing of it is somehow clunky and reading it back is a bit choppy but I can't see what I'm potentially doing wrong, so I'll let someone else take a look at it. :teehee:

The background is competently written. The name "Lions Astra" reminds me of the ill-fated Celestial Lions, though.

Thanks.

The Lions Astra bit was me having a brain fart and miss-writing the name once and it sticking when it shouldn't I'll be changing it to your suggestion, which was what I had meant it to be.

Chapter Cult.

The Leos Alatus have inherited from the people of Innsbruck an unyielding fanaticism to the giving and keeping of oaths. On their homeworld, one does not give their word lightly. The breaking of a promise, oath or agreement is in the larger city circles punishable under the law. With the ever-present threat of the creatures that now infest their world, the breaking of an oath typically will put one or more people in danger to perform a task in your stead, an action unconscionable in the culture of Innsbruck, no matter the region or city one hails from.

The Lions themselves are in many ways unremarkable in their beliefs. While they do venerate the Emperor as more than just a man, they do not follow the Ecclesiarchy down the rabbit hole of divine worship as the Black Templars, as some would compare them to. Given how little is usually known or shared of a chapters individual belief system, they fall on the side of the 'status quo' of Astartes beliefs. Specifically however, they view the Emperor as being transcendent and all powerful, but also a vision of what Humanity could be if they had followed His plan. This has stemmed from the years spent cut off from the Imperium and the wider Ecclesiarchy, as well as other Astartes chapters, with the members of the Reclusiam spending much of their time in self-reflection and spiritual debate when not in battle.

A combination of the chapters early history, philosophical differences in Astartes attitudes and their inherited beliefs and cultural quirks of the people of Innsbruck means that the chapter has a particularly harsh view on oath breakers. To the Lions, your word is your bond till death, no false gods, honeyed xenos words or petty individual problems are any kind of excuse. They pursue and prosecute those guilty of such crimes with a single-minded determination that borders on the obsessive.

This attitude spares no one. No matter your station, your oath means all to a Lion. This can bring them into conflict with other institutions of the Imperium from Imperial Governors, to Naval and Astra Militarum officers to even other Astartes. The Lions will refuse to work alongside some chapters, outright coming to blows at times. When working with planetary governments however, the Lions will direct themselves to the local Arbites command over any other, a heavy preference to work with those that hold the wider Imperium to their Oaths to Him on Terra.

Within their own ranks, the Leos Alatus are unbending in the punishment for a broken oath. Censure is almost always being transferred to the Forlorn Hope, with only extreme negligence or disregard for one's oath resulting in execution. In battle the Chaplains of the Lions function as that of any other chapter, exhorting their brothers to greater acts of heroism and sacrifice. While their rhetoric may be differ, the function is the same, all the while watching for those who may be tempted to forsake their oaths in a moment of rage or madness.

--------------------------------------------------------

Another piece written up, not sure which part to do next. I was thinking of doing a broad category for all other specialists but if they don't differ in function to a regular chapter, it'd be a fairly mundane piece. Only the Techmarines relationship to the Mechanicus and the Forlorn Hope would have any real legs, since they'd be required for the Forlorn Hope's mission statement, as well as being a physical representation of the Mechanicus that the chapter has at this stage come want removed from their homeworld, which would likely cause a fair amount of tension.

I'm certain this particular piece can be cleaned up a bit too.

The details on the Chapter Cult are well-written. Is there a hierarchy of oaths? I ask because, in the event the Marines give Planetary Governor A an oath to protect Planet B to their last breath, but Lord Inquisitor C- whose orders the Marines are oathsworn to obey, as they would any with the authority to speak for the Emperor- orders the Marines to subject the planet to Exterminatus, which oath are they willing to break in order to uphold the other?

The details on the Chapter Cult are well-written. Is there a hierarchy of oaths? I ask because, in the event the Marines give Planetary Governor A an oath to protect Planet B to their last breath, but Lord Inquisitor C- whose orders the Marines are oathsworn to obey, as they would any with the authority to speak for the Emperor- orders the Marines to subject the planet to Exterminatus, which oath are they willing to break in order to uphold the other?

That's a really interesting point. I'd say they would strive to uphold both conflicting sides of an Oath if possible. Per your example, they'd perhaps divide their forces to save as many 'loyal' citizens as possible, so long as it was tenable, and take the hits in terms of casualties to make that happen.

As to seniority of oath, unless the Lions have sworn an oath to the Inquisitor personally, or to his mission or what have you, then his oath wouldn't supersede theirs, it also wouldn't invalidate the Governors, so long as he was still loyal. However, if it was simply an order that had come down for them to perform, then I'm not sure they'd accede to it. The question more comes down to the reason why. Why is the world being targeted? If it's for a legitimate reason then the Governor has already failed at his task and in so doing broken his oath. If it's not, then the Inquisitor could to their mind be breaking their own oath to protect the Imperium, unless the Inquisitors reasoning and evidence were compelling enough.

Also, are the Astartes oath-sworn to obey the Inquisition? So far as I've always known, or have thought of it as, is that while the Astartes are swear their loyalty to the Emperor, that same oath isn't extended to those who claim to speak for him. The Inquisition and individual Inquisitors as a political entity within the Imperium is different, and while they can wield their authority like a club, they don't always get what they want from the Astartes, and plenty of chapters have refused to work for either the Inquisition as a whole, or individual Inquisitors.

Inquisitors while nominally holding complete authority given from the Emperor over the Imperium, the Astartes are essentially a separate organisation under the direct command of the Emperor and his Primarchs, not unlike the Mechanicus which is bound by ancient decree of alliance but is not under the civilian government that makes up the majority of the modern day Imperium. While they also are sworn to obey His will, they are not technically under the authority of anyone else unless they so choose. Political arguments, along with supply, support and general goodwill are present on all sides. The Astartes will usually do what is being asked of them because they believe the Inquisition is acting in the best interest of the Imperium and at the end of the day, while they are super-soldiers, they are still soldiers and will act in defense of the empire as they are requested to, for many the distinction of deployment is very much trivial, so long as they are serving the Emperors will.

If an Inquisitor who's reputation and reasoning is suspect, his request may well simply be ignored. If he is disparaging or insulting to the Astartes in question, he may simply disappear and no one will mourn his loss, as the Imperium and Inquisition grind ever onwards.

It's not a cut and dry affair, I think it's hard to judge.

Personally I like conflict with the Inquisition, because I don't believe the Astartes jump at every order that is thrown at them by the Inquisition, many chapters disregard the chain of command because they don't consider themselves under anyone's authority, but may by the same token answer a request or call for aid by the same people they refuse to work for directly. Depends on the chapter in question, really.

Fortress Harii.

Built upon the ruins of a fallen fortress of the ancient Harii peoples, the Fortress Monastery of the Leos Alatus is broad and intimidating, rising high above the canopy of the nearby black forests that cover much of the world's largest continent.

The Harii were a warlike and powerful people before the coming of the Xenos Horrificus, putting great stock in individual skill and might. Once the xenos began to prey upon the people of Innsbruck, the Harii tried to fight and for a time held back the dark, but slowly and surely they were pulled apart one by one. Too proud to give up their home and legacy, the warriors of the Harii fought against the creeping horrors to the last while the last of the women and children escaped to other settlements, bringing news of the first methods to truly fight the creatures, light, fire and cold-forged iron. Though their will to fight was not enough and as time went on, methods to keep the creatures at bay became the most pressing need, leading to the need for light in all corners, leading to sealed settlements and a paranoid people.

Unlike other fortresses of it's type, the Lions have built their fortress to be a beacon of hope to their people. Walls painted a bright, vivid white and powerful floodlights project image of the fortress for miles around, bristling with black and steel weapon mounts, the quartered pennants of the chapter hanging from the highest towers. While other chapter fortresses will serve as an ancestral home of for it's warriors, honour rolls for their victories and training halls for their warriors, the Leos Alatus have not had the luxury, nor the cultural desire to celebrate or feast as others may. While the fortress is most certainly used by the Scout company to equip and train the new aspirants and successful initiates, as soon as they pass their final trial they are assigned to one of the battle companies, and for many the last time they will see their homeworld.

The ruins of the old Harii fortress lay almost totally overgrown and untouched a relatively short distance from the main trade roads between the regions surviving cities. The Harii had been one of the unfortunate peoples of the world to first fall when the xenos creatures first came to the world, as mentioned by the worlds oldest records, which the chapter found a fitting place to build something to be a bastion against the darkness that had plagued the world for so long.

Even in the darkest, blackest of nights Forteca Harii can be seen shining above all.

The Forge and the Mechanicus.

While current relations between the Mechanicus in Dagons Rift could be described charitably as 'functional', in previous centuries necessity forced a symbiotic relationship between the Lions, the Mechanicus and the rest of the surviving Imperial forces, whereby their terrestrial mining facilities turned out a huge amount of material for their factory ships in orbit to keep the loyalists supplied.

Over the years the Mechanicus has attempted to gain more and more influence with the people of Innsbruck in direct contravention to ancient treaties, though many justifications and excuses have been used, the firm hand of Astartes leadership on the world eventually managed to corral the Adepts influence, at the cost of increasingly worsening relations. The Mechanicus present their case, since they are immune to the effects of the Xenos, since the majority of Mechanicus Skitarri and adepts simply don't feel fear, nor dread or paranoia. This is extremely attractive to the more desperate members of Innsbruck society, and a definite concern for the Astartes and their continued ability to draw recruits for the chapter. In response the Forlorn Hope is formed early on and is deployed more and more aggressively across the rift to find any possible way to bring Innsbruck under the sole authority of the Chapter.

The Techmarines of the Chapter Forge are therefore in an extremely unenviable position. While the current Master of the Forge has survived most of his brethren, and is known to be loyal to the chapter, newer Techmarines are viewed with suspicion and many within the chapters higher echelons bear concern for his successor and the state of the Forge in his absence.

While they are held at arms length by the majority of the Chapter, the Lions Techmarines work tirelessly to keep the chapters war-gear in working order, with many understanding, if not liking the unenviable position they find themselves in, and strive harder to prove themselves to their brothers. While not outwardly distrusted, they are not beholden to the same connection shared between the rest of the chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------

I think my quality of work is starting to slide downhill significantly.

Either way, it's a start.

The Fortress Harii's history and the Chapter's relationship with the AdMech are competently written, in my opinion. I certainly saw worse from Games Workshop itself (re: Matt Ward's decision to make Guilliman the "spiritual liege" of Chapters NOT founded with his gene-seed).

The Fortress Harii's history and the Chapter's relationship with the AdMech are competently written, in my opinion. I certainly saw worse from Games Workshop itself (re: Matt Ward's decision to make Guilliman the "spiritual liege" of Chapters NOT founded with his gene-seed).

Oh don't remind me. I know Ultramarine 'hate' is disparaged these days as overdone, but that codex and everything surrounding it should never have been allowed to go to print with that kind of bias in such a diverse hobby. That said, maybe some more xenos releases would be nice in that vein but that's another kettle of fish entirely.

And thanks, competent is at least a decent baseline. :tu:

The Seven Centaines.

The Leos Alatus, despite having been cut off from the wider Imperium for an age, have had no shortage of battles and trials in their relatively short lifespan. From their very inception the chapter had been under strength, and under-prepared for what awaited them and yet fought with all their heart and might to battle against the darkness that assailed them. The chapter had a vicious uphill battle against entrenched and relatively well-developed worlds and mini-empires within Dagons Rift.

When the nebula returned and sealed the Rift off from the wider galaxy, the Lions took this in their stride and acted as they needed to bring about stability and overall Imperial rule, just as they were charged.

Structure wise the chapter initially could not field even fully half of the companies of a whole chapter, yet they needed to be able to divide their forces to accomplish many goals simultaneously. After the taking of Innsbruck and the slow psychological liberation of it's people, the entire chapter as it stood was gathered decide their own fate as equals. After an entire day of discussion and debate, a consensus was reached.

Seven battle companies would be founded along with the immediate learning and assimilation of the language and culture of the world. One company to match each of the sanctuary cities of Innsbruck and each company would assign some of it's veteran brothers and those unable to fight to train the next generations on their new home. What would normally account for a Scout Company was organised under a traditional training school or battalion, with any new initiates finishing out their training as members of one of the battle companies.

Each battle company, while at their inception smaller than would be laid out in the Codex, by the time of the regions rediscovery by the Imperium each Company would expand to roughly two and a half times the size of their codex contemporaries. Each company was assigned a region of the rift to maintain stability within and for the Lions, unity was victory. By the time the Rift was reconnected with the rest of the galaxy, what had begun as chosen necessity by the chapter had become tradition cemented with the blood of their battle brothers.

------------------------------------

I need to add some more to this, as well as refine some of the ideas I've mixed in, but it seems to cover some of the bases I wanted it to.