Close Combat units and combos post F&F

Hey all just wanted to get a general thread going out there to get an idea of what close combat/melee centric units you guys are using in your lists and how you are using them. Let us know what combos are involved, how you deploy them on the field, and what they do for your army.

Example:

Unit- Assault Marines 10 man squad. Sgt with Combat shield and power sword, the rest have chainswords. Jetpacks of course as well.

Combo- Use Crusaders Helm to put them in Assault Doctrine turn 1, and use Chaplain litany to give them plus 1 attack.

Deployment- Can be deployed at front line or in reserve if situation requires. Unit will receive combo buffs mentioned above and move towards enemy lines aggressively, utilize stratagem for an advance + charge if required.

Objective: Apply aggressive pressure to enemy front line infantry targets. Tie up key units left improperly defended. Can utilize stratagems for 6" pile in and hold in combat to complete said objectives.

I don't think assault squads are worth it to be honest. Maybe as a cheap late game objective grabber but certainly not as a primary assault unit. For 2 points more per guy you can get a Vanguard vet with better Ld and 2 attacks. They also get access to things like more power weapons and SS. 

So I stand by humble crusader squad in tide configuration, Litany of FNP&Attack does wonders with those squads. But a good size scout squad (7-10 man), and some biker squads. With our latest strategams worth price of admission. Biker Squads can tie up enemy early with advance and charge. Scout w/ Reroll wounds are nothing to sneeze at.

Company Veterans w/ Vigilus (which should be taking for WT alone). While not best at close combat nowadays. I think are very underrated. Relatively cheap, and great brigade filler for our boys in black.

Here's another for you guys, what are your thoughts?

Unit: 7-10 man unit of Incursors.

Combo: Utilize a Phobos Captain with the Crusader Helm to give them the Assault Doctrine turn 1. This will give them exploding 6s that auto wound at -1 AP. 

Deployment: Deploy alongside Crusader Helm Phobos Captain close enough to the enemy for a turn 1 charge using concealed deployment special rule. This will allow a deep incursion (hehe) into enemy territory turn 1, can utilize assault + charge stratagem or 6'' consolidation stratagem for further reach.

Objective: Hit enemy screening infantry units or tie up poorly defended enemy vehicles without fly. 

Consideration: If you deploy too aggressively and go second or get seized on, its pretty easy to destroy this combo before it can work. It has happened to me a few times now. I think the last time I got to first was when my opponent gave me the first turn. The game's lethality has gotten to a point now where you really need to almost assume and play towards going second so you don't get alpha struck off the board. Deploying too aggressively can turn against you in this way. 

Going to second Sword Bros + Vigilus. They are really effective with stormbolter+chainsword in a drop pod.

Or at least they were pre-supplement, I can't imagine they would get worse post-supplement.

never without Stormshield. 

90 points for SS + SB or 96 for SS+4xchainswords + 1 hammer is very cheap although very strong.

I am new still to the game and getting my first five man Terminators squad with TH and SS. Do people not use them anymore or are they used for specific rolls?

I am not seeing anyone in this thread talking about them and I thought they would be great to use for BT.

They're a great unit at what they do, teleport strike, charge a hard target like a knight, and dish out a lot of wounds, albeit the tendency to see lots of cheap screening units this edition means that you often need to use them as the number 2 in a 1-2 punch where something else annihilates the screening unit(s) on turn 1 or 2. The main reason that you won't see them discussed much in this thread is because they don't fill a role, or have any special rules, that synergise particularly well with the new stratagems and special rules that our models received in Faith and Fury; most of which are aimed at giving small buffs to large units, which are particularly good for units with lots of low strength attacks, like Chainswords. 

Honestly though, 10 footslogging TH+SS Terminators with every buff that can be handed to them, is really tickling me. I would have said 'meh' to it prior to Smite getting nerfed, but it became a bit more interesting after that happened and now that we can just run around with a +4 save against Mortals it's something that I'll actually have to run one of these days. 

If we'd just gotten a Strat or Litany to guarantee a 6" Advance, or our own Special Issue Wargear (mainly the old Crusader Seals, roll 2d6 for Advance, pick what you want), I would be all over that, having to roll for how far down across a field you get for a critical unit is highly 'meh'. 

Not exactly a stellar competitive choice, but quite intimidating, and very, very hard to kill with the litanies and stratagems we have available. Divine Protection + Transhuman Physiology + Mortal Wound protection, possibly even Prepared Positions, makes for an unit that's both very threatening and EXTREMELY hard to shift even with massed fire. 

Edited by Palmu

At that point I'm just going to Deep strike the Hammernators in. No sense in walking them across the board when you don't have to. 10 TDA suddenly in your lines that's also very hard to shift due to all those things you mentioned is really scary. Plus you aren't losing anything by teleporting them. They weren't going to get a first turn charge anyway so coming in turn 2 isn't bad. 

Hey guys, what do you think is the best Primaris close combat character we can build? 

I'm thinking it's probably the Primaris Chaplain with Mantra of Strength and the relic crozius from the SM book.

Could potentially use a Primaris Captain with our sword or the burning blade, but I'm not sure the damage output is as good. Plus, the relic crozius gets mortal wounds on 6s to wound which as we all know is very important. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404

Deep Strike in 10 TH/SS Terminators, pop Devout Push, walk into combat without suffering Overwatch, force the enemy to stay in combat to stay safe.

There's a lot of interesting shenanigans that can be pulled off that I'd completely overlooked.

EDIT: Actually, couldn't it go like this?

Deep Strike in, Devout Push into combat, kill whatever you blobbed into, get another 6" consolidate into another unit, pop Honour the Chapter, kill that unit dead, get ANOTHER 6" consolidate, move into a third unit and lock it in combat on a 2+ (assuming it's an Infantry unit).

I think I need to go lie down. I can only handle so much Glory at once.

Edited by AlmightyWalrus

I said this in the other thread but I'll say here as well. After further thought and discussion on it with others I don't believe you can consolidate if you didn't fight in the fight phase. So you can pile in but if you don't make combat then you don't get to consolidate

I said this in the other thread but I'll say here as well. After further thought and discussion on it with others I don't believe you can consolidate if you didn't fight in the fight phase. So you can pile in but if you don't make combat then you don't get to consolidate

in the other discussion I made a example how "devot push" really works. Its like you said. its just a 3" move and a ability to consolidate 6" instead of 3" if a consolidation move is made by this unit.