Infiltrators instead of Grey Hunters

sturguard

Hey folks,

So I am slowly updating my wolves, I just modeled up 5 intercessors and I was thinking of adding a unit of infiltrators so I could run 2 battlions-

2x5 Grey Hunters

1x5 Intercessors

2x5 Grey Hunters

1x5 Infiltrators

My question is what do folks see the infiltrators doing that grey hunters dont (and that includes survivability because again, its just 5 infantry models).

Does anyone see SW getting special rules for their infiltrators?

Thanks

Infiltrators offer better small arms survivability. In addition they give you deep strike denial and out of deployment zone coverage that the grey hunters just can't offer. The ability to have a Turn 1 charge potential and auto wound targets makes them versatile.

You can plop them on a midfield objective or even in cover and now have a good distraction for your enemy. If they don't deal with them they give you points and a midfield 12" no deepstrike (including Da Jump) bubble. If they deal with them then your other units stay safe

Edited by The Saint Ragnar

At least 1 unit is highly recommended

Worst case they sit out of LOS guarding a rear objective and discourage a deep strike to remove them

Best case you hard counter an entire battle plan (GSC etc)

They are great utility because of pre game deployment. Especially for SW who dont have scouts in the troop slot

They cost slightly more but give you double wounds than 5 GH

I built all of my current 2k lists around at least 1 utility infiltrator

Edited by TiguriusX

I agree with the above comments, Infiltrators provide double the wounds, and added amount of versatility due to deep strike denial and being able to forward deploy onto objectives. They are the go to competitive option for our TROOP slots.

Grey Hunters can be more defensive with the TDA/Storm Shield addition and put out an admirable amount of plasma for a troop unit. They are also cheaper to take. 

Both have great benefits, but Infiltrators are a huge boon (Is that a Chaos reference....?). 

Incursors are good too if you like infiltrators but want to be more aggressive/hand to hand

Yes, Incursors trade the 12" bubble for slightly higher killing power and a healthy discount. Still undecided which is best. Infiltrators will absolutely wreck armies that rely on reserve shenanigans (BAs, Daemon bombs, jump Orks, GSC) but do nothing against others. That is my only complaint with them, they pay a significant premium for a very situational ability. Incursors are a better and cheaper all-round unit in many cases I think.