Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Infiltrators instead of Grey Hunters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

sturguard

sturguard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 488 posts

Hey folks,

So I am slowly updating my wolves, I just modeled up 5 intercessors and I was thinking of adding a unit of infiltrators so I could run 2 battlions-

2x5 Grey Hunters

1x5 Intercessors

2x5 Grey Hunters

1x5 Infiltrators

My question is what do folks see the infiltrators doing that grey hunters dont (and that includes survivability because again, its just 5 infantry models).

Does anyone see SW getting special rules for their infiltrators?

Thanks

The Saint Ragnar

The Saint Ragnar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 202 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka (Space Wolves)
Infiltrators offer better small arms survivability. In addition they give you deep strike denial and out of deployment zone coverage that the grey hunters just can't offer. The ability to have a Turn 1 charge potential and auto wound targets makes them versatile.

You can plop them on a midfield objective or even in cover and now have a good distraction for your enemy. If they don't deal with them they give you points and a midfield 12" no deepstrike (including Da Jump) bubble. If they deal with them then your other units stay safe

Edited by The Saint Ragnar, 16 January 2020 - 07:06 PM.

• TiguriusX and Reede like this

For Russ and the AllFather!

Armies Played:

Space Wolves - ~3,000 Points

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_04_.jpg

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 924 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka
They’re expensive but not too many units do what they do. That 12” bubble can be a savior if you play vs other marines or GSC. Being able to potentially save you from a charge from centurions or rock saws is huge.
*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,205 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
At least 1 unit is highly recommended

Worst case they sit out of LOS guarding a rear objective and discourage a deep strike to remove them

Best case you hard counter an entire battle plan (GSC etc)

They are great utility because of pre game deployment. Especially for SW who dont have scouts in the troop slot

They cost slightly more but give you double wounds than 5 GH

I built all of my current 2k lists around at least 1 utility infiltrator

Edited by TiguriusX, 16 January 2020 - 08:48 PM.

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Watcher

Watcher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 219 posts
  • Faction: SW, Knights of Damascus

I agree with the above comments, Infiltrators provide double the wounds, and added amount of versatility due to deep strike denial and being able to forward deploy onto objectives. They are the go to competitive option for our TROOP slots.

Grey Hunters can be more defensive with the TDA/Storm Shield addition and put out an admirable amount of plasma for a troop unit. They are also cheaper to take. 

Both have great benefits, but Infiltrators are a huge boon (Is that a Chaos reference....?). 

"It's funny. That time when you saved old Adrian from those fanatics I thought I heard him offer you your heart's desire. He would have sent you home if you asked. Instead you asked for a meat pie."
..."It was a big pie." - Torin the Wayfarer
gallery_26154_15777_13780.png

sturguard

sturguard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 488 posts

Thanks guys.

• Watcher likes this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 713 posts
Incursors are good too if you like infiltrators but want to be more aggressive/hand to hand

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,783 posts

Incursors are good too if you like infiltrators but want to be more aggressive/hand to hand

Yes, Incursors trade the 12" bubble for slightly higher killing power and a healthy discount. Still undecided which is best. Infiltrators will absolutely wreck armies that rely on reserve shenanigans (BAs, Daemon bombs, jump Orks, GSC) but do nothing against others. That is my only complaint with them, they pay a significant premium for a very situational ability. Incursors are a better and cheaper all-round unit in many cases I think.
  • Dark Shepherd likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Wishful Thinker

Wishful Thinker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts
Infiltrators have one of the better overwatch weapons in the game.
6 to hit and skip that wound roll.
  • Karhedron likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users