Unit of the Week: Canoptek Spyders

NTaW

48464677381_cec0ec6ab5_c.jpg

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week Series!

Each week a different unit will be highlighted for discussion until we have amalgamated a full list of our available options and their relevant tactics as 8th edition evolves. We already have a few previous entries but things change as FAQs and Chapter Approved books get released and we playtest new ideas so please feel free to reopen a topic when new options become relevant for discussion.

Please keep in mind this isn't to lament the status of featured units or compare them to others but to try and find their potential for all types of gameplay. Comments that do not adhere to this goal will be removed as they are not constructive to the topic.

This week’s unit is:

49395772371_bfc1b5733e_z.jpg

As a loose guide, here are some questions we could answer to help out any who happen upon our metallic corner of the B&C:

• Do you play them solo or in a unit of two or three?

• What Code do you prefer?

• Do you make use of the Scarab Hive ability?

• Which, if any, upgrades do you take?

Now over to you!

Ok, so looking at the Spyder I think they could have a niche as an absolutely "ok" unit.

At T6 W4 3+ save they can survive indirect fire well (3 Thunderfire Cannons don't kill one on average if in cover, even if Iron Hands). This makes them a truely ok choice for Engineers if you're playing ITC.

The reason I think they *might* be worth playing is they're also one of the few ways to boost your psychic defence - at 50pts you could use one as a deny/screen for more important units to blunt an early psychic assault. In games where a deny isn't needed they're then a cheap throwaway unit to use as an engineer.

Obviously Heavy Support slots are usually a premium, and there isn't really any time I feel I have points spare when I've been writing Necron lists- but I think there might be enough there to consider it as an off the wall tech choice.

I think in a unit of 2-3 Spyders get a bit more reliable, whether for repairing vehicles or spawning Scarabs. The one I own gets on the table every now and again but usually gets singled out rather easily by weapons with a bit of AP. If you plan of having it baby sit a vehicle for repairs it's best to stay right out of sight.

Can't say I've ever taken the particle beamers, preferring to keep light on the point investment.

Edited by NTaW

I need to try a Spyder again.  It was so badly overpriced before CA that I hadn't used it in years, since it could never come close to doing anything worth the cost, but now it doesn't look so bad.  

The guns are OK, but not worth it unless you're pushing it forward a lot.  In that case bring a gloom prism too, since you'll be close enough to use it.  Otherwise, keep it cheap.  The less gear you give it, the less people want to shoot it.

I feel like these guys would have a good home in a Nihilak gunline list. If you've got DDAs sitting still and scarab screens set up, 3 of could definitely boost your late game survivability by repairing and replenishing scarabs.