=][= WAY FORWARD =][=

Brother Tyler

This project has reached a very unfortunate watershed moment, where creative differences are resulting in the exodus of some of the participants. Moreover, since both sides are unable to come to an amicable agreement, the Bolter & Chainsword administrators are having to step in as (hopefully) neutral arbiters. We have discussed the issue and deliberated over what we hope is a reasonable outcome.

Ultimately, this is a fan project and all work created for the project is derivative work of Games Workshop

Edited by Brother Tyler
Amended to cover content passed to "stewards" and agreements between the two projects

A question has been posed by multiple members via PMs, and I want to be sure that we're all on the same sheet of music about the situation so that the admins can provide a reasonable response.

As I understand it, there are some factions that were originally created by previous participants in the project. Those participants have since left the project, leaving the factions they created. Those factions have subsequently been reassigned to other members for continued development, often with subsequent members devoting considerable time and effort to the continued development of those factions.

Is that a clear and correct description of the situation? Is there anything else about the issue? Is there anything that needs to be corrected?

Another question concerns factions/elements that both parties have agreed to share. As a general rule, anything that both parties can agree to is perfectly acceptable to us (as long as it doesn't violate B&C policy and isn't illegal). Generally speaking, we don't want to intervene/interfere except in cases where the two parties can't agree on an issue, in which case we'll do our best to provide guidance that is fair and reasonable (and within the very limited scope of authority we have in the matter). The more that you can agree and decide upon, the better.

A question has been posed by multiple members via PMs, and I want to be sure that we're all on the same sheet of music about the situation so that the admins can provide a reasonable response.

As I understand it, there are some factions that were originally created by previous participants in the project. Those participants have since left the project, leaving the factions they created. Those factions have subsequently been reassigned to other members for continued development, often with subsequent members devoting considerable time and effort to the continued development of those factions.

Is that a clear and correct description of the situation? Is there anything else about the issue? Is there anything that needs to be corrected?

That is an accurate summary of the situation.

I AlphariusOmegon108, hereby let people know I will NOT allow any of my creations, including everything connected to the Eagle Warriors and Cognis, to be used in any project that is connected to the brotherhood of the lost project.

I went years without signing in and lurking, sad to see my return start with this note. Disappointed :(

(I really hate to do this but I will need to be very clear) I will actively be lurking the forums making sure to check for any further use of any of my content, names, stories or branding I used in my projects and be taking action if needed. I really hope you all can understand, some things simply cannot be accepted :)

Edited by AlphariusOmegon108

I've amended the guidance above. The following sections have been added (they are scattered throughout the guidance).

For simplicity, those members that are withdrawing from the Brotherhood of the Lost project and who are pursuing a separate project together are referred to below as “separatists” and their project as the “separatist project.”

Some Brotherhood of the Lost factions were originally developed by participants who later disappeared, and those factions have been assigned to other participants as stewards. Those factions will be treated like all the others – they will remain part of the Brotherhood of the Lost project unless their original creators declare the withdrawal of their content from the project. If those factions are withdrawn from the project, they will be treated as off limits to everyone unless they are explicitly given to the separatist project.

Fair expectation 3: The separatist project may “file off the serial numbers” of content that remains with the Brotherhood of the Lost project or which was withdrawn from the project but not given to the separatist project, making a reasonable effort to replace the withdrawn content with similar, but distinct content. This means that names must be changed, distinctive imagery elements must be changed, and minor background elements (that are integral to the Brotherhood of the Lost setting) must be changed, but the separatist project may retain basic concepts for replacement content.

In all cases where a member is withdrawing from the Brotherhood of the Lost project but the withdrawing member is not a member of the separatist project, the withdrawing member may grant their content to the separatist project via a statement along the lines of:

I grant my content to (the separatist project/member name).

In cases where the original developers of content disappeared from the project and the content was picked up by someone else, any attempts to contact the original developer should remain objective and should include simison (as the Brotherhood of the Lost project leader) and the current member developing the content, as well as myself as neutral arbiter. I will initiate all such contact (mostly because I know how to make the BBCodes work.

You were the original developer of the (faction) as part of the Brotherhood of the Lost project. When you left the project, that faction was assigned to (member) for continued development. The Brotherhood of the Lost project has come to a crossroads and, due to creative differences, a number of participants, including (member) are withdrawing from the project to pursue their own project. We are contacting you to determine where you content will go. The decision is entirely up to you.
[list=1][*]You may leave your content with the Brotherhood of the Lost project.[/*][*]You may give your content to the separatist project, in which case (member) will become the new “owner.”[/*][*]You may withdraw your content from the Brotherhood of the Lost project and deny its use by the separatist project.[/*][*]You may determine some other outcome for your content (please describe that outcome if you choose this option.[/*][/list]
Thank you for your time and prompt response.
In all such cases, the default assumption until any response is provided is that the content will remain with the Brotherhood of the Lost project. If a member doesn’t respond within 1 month, we will switch to email contact. In those cases, all emails except for mine will be blind carbon copied (BCC) in order to protect privacy. To maintain transparency, I’ll provide updates/responses here.

You are encouraged to agree on outcomes other than the guidance above provides. The guidance above is provided only for those cases where the two parties are unable to arrive at an amicable agreement.

Those members that have already replied with the statement of intent to withdraw/remain only need to edit their post to preserve their declaration (the "edited by" line will serve to indicate that your reply applies to the current instructions).

What I need now is a list of all of the content that is in dispute (i.e., that content that was developed by an old participant, but which is now in the hands of a "steward"). The list should include:

• Faction (or content) name
  • URL(s) for discussion(s) where the content has been developed
  • Original creator name
  • Steward(s) name(s)
That list should be provided as a reply to this discussion for transparency. I'll initiate contact with the original creators via PM.

I will attempt to be comprehensive.

Harbingers

- http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341460-il-i-the-harbingers/

- Athrawes

- Bluntblade

Eagle Warriors

-http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/348606-alternate-legion-eagle-warriors/ & http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311347-il-xiii-the-eagle-warriors/

-AlphariusOmegon108

-BOTL/simison

However, this is different from all of the disputed content. For example, the Void Eagles do not have a steward as Skalpynock had remained an active member. That said, if one were to peruse the Void Eagles thread, one will find that I have written the entire narrative half of a rulebook for the legion (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313679-alternate-legion-the-void-eagles/?p=4915756 & http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313679-alternate-legion-the-void-eagles/?p=4915678). Does that work fall under the collaboration clause and remain available to the project?

Finally, a disclaimer. At no point is BOTL attempting to maintain exclusive claims on any disputed content. As far as the project is concerned, any disputed material that remains accessible to BOTL can also be available to the separatists.

I'd like to add the following for the sake of completeness.

The Drowned

Creator: Hesh Kadesh

Steward: Helferskelter / Raktra

Scions Hospitalier

Creator: Slipstreams

Steward: Bluntblade

Dune Serpents

Creator: Big Bad Squig

Steward: Shadowswordmaster

Warriors of Peace

Creator: Simison

Steward: Xun

I, Nomus Sardauk (formerly SanguiniusReborn), hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

Based on the criteria identified above, I withdraw the following content that I claim as my own from the Brotherhood of the Lost project:

Steel Legion: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/327612-alternate-legion-the-steel-legion/

I understand and will adhere to the restrictions identified above.

Edited by Nomus Sardauk

It is with a heavy heart that I, bluntblade, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

Based on the criteria specified above, I withdraw the following content:

The Harbingers/Lightning Bearers (with permission sought and granted by Athrawes, their original creator) and their associated domains and factions including the Forge World Akira, House Rakham, House Sunhava and The Legio Telesto

House Lyphora

The Yamatar Ashigat

House Balgruth

House Garin

The Legio Pugilis

The Forge Worlds Scanad, Samaria and Locria, and their associated factions

The Katorz Holdfast, Chalcea, Doljen Subsector and the Nerska March and their associated factions

The planets Revan, Thelum

Shosi Fire Jackals, Crown Breakers, Jeivka Phalangites, Night Fangs and Emithian Wyverns of the Imperial Army and Solar Auxilia

The Vremalkyr and their associated event, the Vremalkyr Incursions

The Eldar empire Ultymnor

The designs for the Cerastus Knight-Venerer, Acastus Knight-Damysus, Dominus Knight-Justiciar, Dominus Knight-Vigilant, Ash Phoenix gunship, Choakabrax automata, Shogun-class Battleship and Stymphala gunship

The Sidorae Legions (known to some as the Chymerae Legions)

All factions and content created by me specifically for the use of other project members (these being conceived to function with Space Marine Legion, e.g. the Agnoran Ravagers and Legio Yharma for the Berserkers of Uran, and the Legio Contego and Zanskat Guard for the Halcyon Wardens) I hand over to the master/steward of the relevant Legion.

I acknowledge and will adhere to the above restrictions.

Edited by bluntblade

I, Beren, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost Project.

Based on the criteria identified above, I withdraw the following content:

.The League of the Iron Horn

.The feudal world of Avarassan

.The Knight House Morratek

.The Sarriskan Fusiliers

.The Partianids

.The Hunted

.The Gatherer of the Fallen

.The Shades of Torkavr

.The Girian Shatterbloods

.The Keraunas Sodality

.Legio Bestiakum

.Sanctity, Warden and Pursuit of knowledge

.The Sautash Demi-clave

.The Taghmatas Bestia

.Legio Praetempus

.Legio Reventus

.The Greywolden Brigands

.The Khunish Dragons

.The Vendrisan Holdfast

.The Venedian Sky Walkers

.The Burners of Halderoth

.The worlds of: Miskarkatan, Guardain, Belcana, Forex, Sera, Somnasvolt, Theodolite, Vitolis, Verax Prime, Hrodjin

.The Revenent Maw

.The Bringers of Fourfold Destruction

Edited by Beren

Ultimately, this has always been a collaborative project. An inherent risk with any collaborative project is creative differences among the participants. An inherent aspect of agreeing to participate in any collaborative project is doing so with the understanding that the work one contributes is intended to support the project, despite areas where one might be dissatisfied.

In the spirit of the hobby and despite the personal/creative differences that are now splitting this project, we need to keep things simple.

Only the original creators of factions have any claim to those factions. If those original creators don't withdraw their factions and grant them to the separatists (or keep them for themselves), those factions remain with the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

Non-faction content that is inherent to the setting remains with the Brotherhood of the Lost setting should remain with the Brotherhood of the Lost setting unless that content was developed in its entirety by separatists in which case those members may withdraw it.

Ultimately, we need to avoid any tendency to "split the baby." The fair expectations outlined in the guidance (i.e., the ability for both sides to "file off the serial numbers") allows everyone to use the content that has been developed, albeit by making appropriate changes to that content that goes to the other side in the issue.

So I've been pulled into this now I suppose. 

I left this project years ago, or rather was forced out of my own IP due to lack of contributions. That said, I respect Bluntblade and trust his judgement in regards to the IP and usage of my Lightning Bearers/Harbinger in the BotL universe.

I have no clear idea what happened, or why. Bluntblade has given me the bare basics, with what certainly seems like impartiality. I don't want, nor really do I need to know what was said in a project I left ages ago. 

After a brief conversation with Bluntblade, I asked him if knowing my position on certain issues, whether I would want my IP associated with this project. He said no, and as the person who was left in charge of my IP, again I trust him in this matter.

I find this whole thing silly, but If you need me to fill out the form letter in Bluntblades place fine.

I, Athrawes, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

Based on the Criteria above, I withdraw the following content:

The Harbingers/Lightning Bearers and their associated domains and factions including the Forge World Akira, House Rakham, House Sunhava and The Legio Telesto

I, Redd, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost Project.

Based on the criteria identified above, I withdraw the following content:

The Iron Bears, The Tricendia/Three Fires and all included/associated forces and regiments including but not limited to; The Daughters of Daer’dd, The Autumn Guard of Huron, Knight houses Blinstrubas and August, Ice Giants Titan Legion.

I, Grifftofer, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

Based on the criteria identified above, I withdraw the following content that I claim as my own from the Brotherhood of the Lost project:

The Grave Stalkers Legion and Lasarine Mechanicum

Additionally as primarily a rules writer I cede all ownership rights of any factional rules written to the faction for whom the rules were written. Any rules written by myself as generic additions will remain accessible to the BotL project, however I will reserve the right to use them further myself in any projects I work on in the future. I believe this adheres to the restrictions above, if not I am willing to discuss it further.

I, MikhalLeNoir, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

The Wardens of Light, their successor chapters, any artwork I personally funded to be used in the BotL and the Knight House Losstarot and the Orphans of War

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Made for scenes in the BotL:

The pics from Aituarmanas: Battle at eternity gate( Raktra vs Hec & Gwal)

Duel between Gwal and Travier

Vampiredlo: Gwal vs Eagle Warriors

Gwal vs Travier

Every pic depicting Gwal with a XII

However, if you are nice you can keep on using Alexandros & General I commissioned from Slaine. No need for them and it would be childish to withhold.them, when nobody could use them in our newverse.

Hectarion is for Sigismund to use.

I, Darkcommander, am remaining with the Brotherhood of the Lost project. I understand and will adhere to the restrictions above. 

Based on the criteria above, I am retaining control of all projects that I created for those legions that have left the BotL group as well as any derivative works such as ammunition, munitions or art of said projects. Most of these projects are listed below, but for confirmation I would be happy to discuss their use with the relevant parties. All mention of those legions that have left the project will be removed from the profiles but I would ask for some time in doing so as I currently have other pressing concerns.

Scions Hospitalier Units:

-Abyssal Class Attack Submarine (Including the art displayed on the wiki page as I paid for the piece myself)

-Ashray Scout Squad

-Tide-Breaker APS

-Triton Class Carrier Submarine

Berserkers of Uran:

-Barrage Light Assault Vehicle

The Predators:

-Conda Inkosi Tank-Hunter

Iron Bears:

-Sky-Tyrant Gunship

Abyssii

-Gotrenag Power Spear

Astartes Vehicles

-Legion-Specific Variants of the Corsair Bomber

Edited by Darkcommander

I, Raktra, hereby withdraw from further participation in the Brotherhood of the Lost project.

The Berserkers of Uran (and any original character contained or connected therein)
The Shephereds of Eden (and any original character contained or connected therein)
Legio Yharma
House Lothryk
Any and all art paid for by myself that contains Raktra and/or any other member of the above Legions
The Ashen Kingdom
Uran
The Pit
The Blood Boilers
The Architects
Milewalkers
Wretches/Wretched
The Primarch Raktra Akarro

In addition, "Raktra Akarro", "Uran" and "The Architects" (in the contexts connected to Raktra Akarro as a character) are protected by UK copyright law as of 2011. They are licensed to myself from an original work, and any use of these without my consent can indeed be classified as a legal matter and responded to as such.