Psychic Awakening - Deathwatch Hopes

Inquisitor Trinity

I wont hold my breath for any new Deathwatch specific minis. If we get an update in the "Saga of the beast" book which many guess, then Ghaz and possibly a space wolf Primaris Ragnar have a higher priority at GW Imho. Lets face it, Deathwatch is one of the smaller armies player wise.

If we get a new primaris watchmaster it could be based on the primaris watchmaster mentioned in the codex in one of the timeline snippets.

The Artemis mini was one of the reasons I chose DW as my first army getting back into 40k (havent played since 3rd Ed). I still have the large Inquisitor version of him.

Hoping for something similar to Grey Knights, but naming it is going to be awkward - we already have Malleus, Venator, etc Mission Tactics, and Malleus, Venator, etc Doctrines...

What's next - Malleus Tide?

Rules wise, bonus AP against a unit type, such as Troops, would be plenty good. In fact, boosting Mission Tactics to include an AP buff would probably be perfect.

Edited by bluntpencil

Here is what I am hoping for Deathwatch from PA:

---

(1) All DW units now benefit from Mission Tactics (i.e. not just Infantry, Bikes, and Dreads)

(2) Unique Equivalent to Combat Doctrines/Tides (i.e. if you have a pure DW army):

*Can choose which of these Doctrines is in affect at the beginning of the first Battle Round and, as long as your DW Warlord is alive and on the table, can change them at the beginning of each subsequent Battle Round.

1 - Precision Strike Doctrine -- When activated select one enemy unit; your army gains +1 to Hit against that unit until it is destroyed; once it is destroyed, you can select another unit, and so forth.

2 - Enhanced Mobility Doctrine -- When activated, all DW units gain +1" to their Move, Advance, and Charge rolls

3 - Vital Objectives Doctrine -- When activated, whenever a friendly DW unit destroys an enemy unit, gain a CP (up to 3 CP a Battle Round, max)

(3) Additional Relics:

1 - Watch Captain Xenophase Blade (same as normal Xenophase Blade, but +2S and Dmg 2)

2 - Enhanced Stormbolter (RF 3 S4 AP-1 Dmg 1, can benefit from SIA)

3 - Librarian Relic (+1 to Deny rolls/+1 chances to Deny)

4 - Chaplain Relic (Knows 2 Litanies, can re-roll any 1s for Litany attempts)

5 - Apothecary Relic (Revive model on 3+/Once per game can choose to auto heal 3W, not D3 wounds)

6 - Watch Master Relic (gives +1W and improves to a 3++ Invul)

(4) Chaplains gain Litanies, has normal 6 SM Litanies, plus one unique DW Litany:

1 - All friendly DW units within 6" count any unmodified 6s to Wound in close combat as 2 Wounds whenever they target Tau, Eldar (all types), Orks, Tyranids, GSC, or Necrons.

(5) DW gain unique 6 Psychic powers, in addition to normal Librarius powers they already have:

1 - One DW unit within 12", 3D6" charge

2 - One DW Infantry unit within 12", gain ability to shoot characters that are within 18", even if they are not the closest unit

3 - One enemy character/Monster within 18", unit loses 3A (to minimum of 1)

4 - One enemy unit within 18", Armor/Invul saves reduced by -1 (to minimum of 6+)

5 - D3 MWs to an enemy unit within 18", becomes D6 MWs if that unit has any models with 10 or more wounds in it

6 - 1 MW to enemy unit within 24", if it has the FLY Key Word, roll a D6, on 2+ it loses Fly until the start of your next Psychic Phase.

(6) New Stratagems -- Gain some of the same ones that BA/DA/GK got from standard SM book, plus some additional DW unique Strats:

1 - Ultramarine Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains ability to shoot as if it had not moved

2 - White Scars Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 Dmg to melee weapons when it charges

3 - Salamander Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 to Wound with Flamer/Melta weapons

4 - Raven Guard Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 to Hit/to Wound versus Characters

5 - Iron Hands Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains re-rolls of 1s to Hit/Relentless with Heavy Weapons

6 - Imperial Fists Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 Dmg when shooting at vehicles with Heavy Weapons

7 - Blood Angels Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1A for all models in the squad

8 - Dark Angels Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +6" range to Heavy/RF weapons, +3" range to Assault/Pistol weapons

9 - Space Wolves Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains ability to Heroically Intervene up to 6"

Edited by L30n1d4s

If Deathwatch had 1/2 of what you outlined here, my brain would explode out of sheer awesomeness.

Here is what I am hoping for Deathwatch from PA:

---

(1) All DW units now benefit from Mission Tactics (i.e. not just Infantry, Bikes, and Dreads)

(2) Unique Equivalent to Combat Doctrines/Tides (i.e. if you have a pure DW army):

*Can choose which of these Doctrines is in affect at the beginning of the first Battle Round and, as long as your DW Warlord is alive and on the table, can change them at the beginning of each subsequent Battle Round.

1 - Precision Strike Doctrine -- When activated select one enemy unit; your army gains +1 to Hit against that unit until it is destroyed; once it is destroyed, you can select another unit, and so forth.

2 - Enhanced Mobility Doctrine -- When activated, all DW units gain +1" to their Move, Advance, and Charge rolls

3 - Vital Objectives Doctrine -- When activated, whenever a friendly DW unit destroys an enemy unit, gain a CP (up to 3 CP a Battle Round, max)

(3) Additional Relics:

1 - Watch Captain Xenophase Blade (same as normal Xenophase Blade, but +2S and Dmg 2)

2 - Enhanced Stormbolter (RF 3 S4 AP-1 Dmg 1, can benefit from SIA)

3 - Librarian Relic (+1 to Deny rolls/+1 chances to Deny)

4 - Chaplain Relic (Knows 2 Litanies, can re-roll any 1s for Litany attempts)

5 - Apothecary Relic (Revive model on 3+/Once per game can choose to auto heal 3W, not D3 wounds)

6 - Watch Master Relic (gives +1W and improves to a 3++ Invul)

(4) Chaplains gain Litanies, has normal 6 SM Litanies, plus one unique DW Litany:

1 - All friendly DW units within 6" count any unmodified 6s to Wound in close combat as 2 Wounds whenever they target Tau, Eldar (all types), Orks, Tyranids, GSC, or Necrons.

(5) DW gain unique 6 Psychic powers, in addition to normal Phobos and Libraries powers they already have:

1 - One DW unit within 12", 3D6" charge

2 - One DW Infantry unit within 12", gain ability to shoot characters that are within 18", even if they are not the closest unit

3 - One enemy character/Monster within 18", unit loses 3A (to minimum of 1)

4 - One enemy unit within 18", Armor/Invul saves reduced by -1 (to minimum of 6+)

5 - D3 MWs to an enemy unit within 18", becomes D6 MWs if that unit has any models with 10 or more wounds in it

6 - 1 MW to enemy unit within 24", if it has the FLY Key Word, roll a D6, on 2+ it loses Fly until the start of your next Psychic Phase.

(6) New Stratagems -- Gain some of the same ones that BA/DA/GK got from standard SM book, plus some additional DW unique Strats:

1 - Ultramarine Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains ability to shoot as if it had not moved

2 - White Scars Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 Dmg to melee weapons when it charges

3 - Salamander Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 to Wound with Flamer/Melta weapons

4 - Raven Guard Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 to Hit/to Wound versus Characters

5 - Iron Hands Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains re-rolls of 1s to Hit/Relentless with Heavy Weapons

6 - Imperial Fists Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1 Dmg when shooting at vehicles with Heavy Weapons

7 - Blood Angels Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +1A for all models in the squad

8 - Dark Angels Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains +6" range to Heavy/RF weapons, +3" range to Assault/Pistol weapons

9 - Space Wolves Sergeant (can only be used once, costs 2 CP) -- One Veteran/Intercessors squad with Watch Sergeant gains ability to Heroically Intervene up to 6"

So i've been having me a think this afternoon about possible vanguard kill team rules in the same way that fortis kill team and regular veteran kill teams get. In the vain hope that we get access to all the vanguard units and GW throws us a bone with a kill team combination.

Base 5 Infiltrators or Incursors (they're just SO similar i don't know which would form the base)

- Add eliminators = probably just extra firepower like hellblasters are in fortis

- Add suppressors = vanguard/inceptor type fly rule, plus suppressing fire could set up some nice combos

- Add Infiltrators  = omni scramblers as long as at least 1 infiltrator, can add helix adept

- Add Incursors = Multi spectrum array is probably too broken to give to the whole unit so i'm thinking they can take a haywire mine or they get some sort of reduce negative hit modifiers by one rule e.g. flyers -1 to hit is negated

- Add rievers = terror troops

Whole squad gets concealed positions and smoke grenades, only eliminators don't have smoke and only suppressors don't have concealed positions so i don't think that's a big ask (suppressors can deep strike anyway). 

Who knows though! This is all just wishlisting really. What do you guys think?

As I'm not really a player of the game at this point I haven't bought any of the PA books, was curious if I do start getting into playing soon which books would I want to  buy?

Rumour is we may be included in the Next PA book(Beast = Xenos) but we haven't had any announcement yet.

Edited by Black_Knight

EDIT: somehow I posted this half way through...

___

Codex SM get 3 things:

- Chapter traits

- Doctrines

- Super doctrine

We currently have 2 things

- Mission tactics

- SIA

In really, really hope they don't just give us doctrines. They are redundant as a mechanism with mission tactics and that would be a cheap way out.

I'd rather see mission tactics be "expanded" as a concept, and be equivalent to the super doctrines ("pure" army only).

SIA would be the equivalent to "always on" doctrines, and I just hope the remove the limitations (more below).

I expect them to give us "fortress traits" on top, even though I'd rather see something cooler (again, below).

OK, I'll structure this in 3 parts:

1) Things I really expect to see happening

- Litanies for Chaplains

- General "update" with changes from Codex SM such as changes psychic powers and "generic" stratagems (Transhuman etc.)

- Fortress traits and maybe "build your own fortress"

- SIA with bolter discipline

- A handful "special" stratagems, relics & warlord traits

2) Things I hope to see, but I'm not so sure

- SIA for everything that has "bolter" in the name, and yes I mean heavy, assault and hurricane bolters

- SIA for dreads (vehicles maybe)

- scion-style "move first, then jump out" for the corvus blackstar. Probably without charging afterwards. I'll even accept casualties on a 1

- phobos kill team (and yes, I would totally covert 3D shoulderpads on eliminators. Hell, i play deathwatch BECAUSE I like conversions)

3) things that would be awesome (but you know...)

- centurions for killteams ("ignore cover" as added bonus)

- ordo xenos inquisitors as "in codex" HQ choices, with their powers & spells affecting DW models

- instead of "fortress bonuses", give us something MUCH cooler and MUCH more complicated that causes even more bookkeeping. This idea is as follows:

- call it "heroes of the imperium" or something, basically let us give all sergeants (and dreads?) mini warlord traits, based on their origin chapter

- let every sergeant select one of the successor chapter traits of their origin chapter, affects the whole squad

- every selection only once per army

- 2CP strategem, once per battleround, that gives a squad their sergeant's origin chapter's super doctrine (for one battle round)

Generally I hope for GW to bring DW to the general power level of codex marines, but keep the existing unique mechanisms intact. DW has "cool stuff", and I would love to keep it

Edited by bortbortbort

Well, I do hope for:

1) armywide special rule (like doctrines for Adeptus Astartes. They would be cool too btw)

2) useful psychic discipline(every astartes army got own so why not DW?)

3) litanies for chaplains

4) a fix for corvuses( power of the machine spirit would be perfect)

5) stormhawk and stormtalon(even gk got these)

6) strategems and relics :)

Ya... unfortunate to say the least, with their founding being in the war of the beast, seemed like a good callback to include them there, but looks pretty doubtful now.  Probably be with harlies and necrons I guess.  Oh well, in this marine meta my stalker rifle squads have amassed quite the kill count, we still got that at least, the best stalker squads out there much to the chagrin of every other marine faction.

Edited by GrinNfool

My hope is that they continue to keep non-primaris marines and their associated equipment / vehicles etc flavourful, strong, and a big part of Deathwatch - so that they are equal for being chosen over Primaris.  Maybe once a chapter becomes mostly replaced with Primaris, they could be sent to the Deathwatch to keep them with like minded Astartes where they can share their tactics and deploy together etc.  Afterall, their relics will be a little small for Primaris to be using - so they gotta keep some originals SM's there to swing those xeno swords :happy.:

With that in mind, where do all the infantry heavy weapons go when a chapter is replaced by Primaris - perhaps we could get a few sent back for DW to use?!  I'd like to see the Corvus get much love as it's such a gorgeous flyer, I'd go out and buy a second one if they did!  I'm so pleased that Dreadnoughts have a place in this army and I'd like to see their continued strength in DW - with this in mind I'm also for the handing over of the BA Dreadnought Frag Cannon (it's not like they use them much now with every dread being a libbie or chappie).  A new special character or two would be great, but not sure this is the place for it!

So true. But they claim there are no more edition changes. ;)

originally I was hoping for unit additions from the Primaris line but now after seeing other PA releases I think that ship has sailed. 

I’m really feeling like we have a few strats and a couple of chapter style tactics. One thing that always struck me that I kept forgetting to mention was the Grey Shield ability in the Vigilus Defiant. 

I always thought that detachment and ability was right up our alley. Could you imagine being able to rotate through a couple of chapter tactics once per game?

So true. But they claim there are no more edition changes. ;)

originally I was hoping for unit additions from the Primaris line but now after seeing other PA releases I think that ship has sailed.

I’m really feeling like we have a few strats and a couple of chapter style tactics. One thing that always struck me that I kept forgetting to mention was the Grey Shield ability in the Vigilus Defiant.

I always thought that detachment and ability was right up our alley. Could you imagine being able to rotate through a couple of chapter tactics once per game?

Blood of Baal included all the data sheets for the Phobos units.

Ritual of the Damned was the same way.

I would expect the same to be true for the Space Wolves. As such, I imagine it is completely possible, and even likely, to see unit additions given what PA has done with other Marine factions.

Edited by Lemondish