Psychic Awakening - Deathwatch Hopes

Inquisitor Trinity

I kinda disagree on the outcome of the story, but not about the DW not being in the next book as I agree that the amount of rules needed for it to get similar updates to other marines would require a large number of pages that I doubt GW would want to double up in a single book meaning that yes we're fighting the Crons.  Cause in someways we're the only people left that really makes any kind of sense.

I am however conflicted on the story that they released yesterday and really that is the only part I'm interested in as I have less than zero interest in the wolves.  

The captain's story leading up to his decision/decree was an allegory about how all three elements were needed to survive and to me is the pivotal moment of the story.  The space wolf's dream and motivation is just macguffin imo.  The Fist was only there to stonewall like all Fists are always meant to do giving the White Scar/Captain the ability to cut loose and shake things up.  I personally have a hard time believe that a member of the White Scars would adhere to the mission as written and not pursue targets of opportunity based on the history of the chapter and its pursuit of going where they're needed and where targets of opportunity present themselves.  As such I think that the Captain's story illustrates a need for unity but also a willingness to put things on the line and change the parameters of the Watch Company's mission. 

There were only three characters(Scar as the Human due to being in command; Fist as Horse as the solid base needed to move forward; and the Wolf as the pretty birdy in the sky sighting prey) in the story. I read it as the DW must accompany him for them to survive in any capacity for to abandon their battle brothers would be a weakness they couldn't bear.  As the world/universe is too dangerous not to listen to the wisdom/intuition of each component member of the watch.

I'm probably reading too much sentiment into the grim darkness and way too much subtext into fiction that is almost always a pinch to the face but I have a softness for the White Scars that makes me yeah for more nuance.  I mean to make huge decisions like that all for omens and dreams is crazy; but we've seen what happens when people didn't take heed of warnings in the past...

Oh well at least now I know I'll probably do a White Scars force if I finish up my DW at some point.

TLDR - DW probably not in book; story imo says yay DW we're all a band of brother's more true than any legion/chapter.

*Edited for cogency*

Edited by 6262

Honestly I hope Deathwatch are not in the Saga of the Beast book.

Why? Because I don't want my favorite faction/army playing second fiddle. I want our PA update to be one of the main factions in the book. I want DW to have its time in the limelight with a major story arc and a new mini. i don't want DW to be the third faction whose story in the book is "And yeah the Deathwatch were there also somewhere". And Im willing to wait for such a book.

DW has been neglected since our codex release IMO.

Edited by Azaiel

Honestly I hope Deathwatch are not in the Saga of the Beast book.

Why? Because I don't want my favorite faction/army playing second fiddle. I want our PA update to be one of the main factions in the book. I want DW to have its time in the limelight with a major story arc and a new mini. i don't want DW to be the third faction whose story in the book is "And yeah the Deathwatch were there also somewhere". And Im willing to wait for such a book.

DW has been neglected since our codex release IMO.

Grey Knights were the outsider faction in PA4 and got the best rules.

The true goal is to have our rules get the most attention in the last book written. Last codex is almost always guaranteed to be the most op lol.

On a serious note, the speculation of DeathWatch vs Necrons vs harlequins is starting to look promising. Necrons and harlequins are the only xenos without PA rules(I think). So we’ve gotta fight one of them to be fluffy.

I play Necrons as well so that would be a nice twofer for me. Although a DeathWatch vs Harlequins rematch / boxset part 2 would be sweet.

Does anybody think well get any new models? So far every marine faction bar grey knights has had a new character so why not us? Id love a primaris watchmaster.

The funny thing about this question is that, at least for me, whenever any faction gets a new model it almost always means my DW gets a new model. Sometimes I have to convert the weapons, or place them on a different base, but those are minor quibbles.

What I want is rules for the new units, or even an upgrade sprue for unique Deathwatch Primaris kill team options. I would take that over a new character model, personally.

With the upgrade sprue rumours for existing kits that turns them into new units making the rounds yet again, I'd think it's just as likely as a new character I suppose.

I would think if DW were in the book with space wolves, SW will get the new character. Ragnar is a super old model, and due for an update. Just like Mephiston in the BA book.

All of our models are newish kits within the last couple years, although we do need primaris options, IMO I doubt we are that high on the priority lit’s.

But this is all moot if DW isn’t in the next book

Does anybody think well get any new models? So far every marine faction bar grey knights has had a new character so why not us? Id love a primaris watchmaster.

The funny thing about this question is that, at least for me, whenever any faction gets a new model it almost always means my DW gets a new model. Sometimes I have to convert the weapons, or place them on a different base, but those are minor quibbles.

What I want is rules for the new units, or even an upgrade sprue for unique Deathwatch Primaris kill team options. I would take that over a new character model, personally.

With the upgrade sprue rumours for existing kits that turns them into new units making the rounds yet again, I'd think it's just as likely as a new character I suppose.

Obviously id love access to all the new phobos units too but i wonder if that'd be a touch too much for the psychic awakening books? If they were going to give us those would we maybe have to wait for a new codex and get a phobos kill team? I know what you mean by the other legions models being ours too. Ive already converted the new dark angels one.

Obviously id love access to all the new phobos units too but i wonder if that'd be a touch too much for the psychic awakening books? If they were going to give us those would we maybe have to wait for a new codex and get a phobos kill team? I know what you mean by the other legions models being ours too. Ive already converted the new dark angels one.

Well I'm not so sure that's a big ask. After all, these units and their data sheets were included in Blood of Baal and Ritual of the Damned for both BA and DA without issue. This would be even fewer sheets for DW, just based on the lack of Lts in the army structure before considering the likelihood they combine some into a new Kill Team unit type. With these books acting as codex supplements in general, I would think it's totally doable.

Well I'm not so sure that's a big ask. After all, these units and their data sheets were included in Blood of Baal and Ritual of the Damned for both BA and DA without issue. This would be even fewer sheets for DW, just based on the lack of Lts in the army structure before considering the likelihood they combine some into a new Kill Team unit type. With these books acting as codex supplements in general, I would think it's totally doable.

I hope your right obviously as id love to have some phobos options in my deathwatch. Eliminators would be fantastic. Hopefully we'd get a phobos shoulder pad upgrade sprue then! Plus Fluff wise Phobos options would fit us amazingly.

Am I the only one happy that GW has seemingly finally put to rest the question of what factions are going to be in Saga of the Beast, with little chance for a "gotcha" moment of "oh we are sneaking these guys in" at this stage? The paranoia, belief, and "surety" I've been seeing the last two weeks about "Are deathwatch going to be in saga of the beast" has been a measure nauseating to me. I am glad its over, and now we can turn our eyes to may/june where the last books come out, and then ninth supposedly dropping in July basically repeating 7th edition for us all over again.

Am I the only one happy that GW has seemingly finally put to rest the question of what factions are going to be in Saga of the Beast, with little chance for a "gotcha" moment of "oh we are sneaking these guys in" at this stage? The paranoia, belief, and "surety" I've been seeing the last two weeks about "Are deathwatch going to be in saga of the beast" has been a measure nauseating to me. I am glad its over, and now we can turn our eyes to may/june where the last books come out, and then ninth supposedly dropping in July basically repeating 7th edition for us all over again.

Hmm...this post laments the "nauseating" discourse surrounding the speculation about Saga of the Beast, then in the same breath partakes in the same such "paranoid speculation" about 9th edition :rolleyes:

Anyway!

New Ragnar model looks like another new Primaris Watch Captain to me ;)

... Back to topic.... I think it's going to take very, very little to slap Deathwatch into the 'updates'. I think we all know this. We are looking at a Primaris Watch Master. (Althoug Primaris Artemis would be cool, it's actually a statement to keep him a Vanilla Vet.) 

I don't expect major treatment. What happened to Grey Knights was a crazy, long overdo, major adjustment to the army's power level. We'll never see anything remotely close to that. I'm simply wanting more options, more Primaris options. I'm bored stiff of stormbolters and my little tricked out Primaris squad(s). The (re) addition of Drop Pods was fun, but I think I'm needing a bit more now. :)

I’d love a Primaris Deathwatch watch master or Artemis passing through the the Ruby Murray and becoming Primaris. I’d been thinking about a Primaris watch master these last few weeks but I’d completely forgot about Arty.

Id prefer a generic Primaris Watch Master but, if they did make Artemis primaris hopefully they make it a build option like the Dark angels Lazarus model. 

I'd welcome it, but Artemis is a very, very new model in general.

A new character might be more likely.

Though if I was really laying in the wishlisting, I'd even say a Primaris kit built like the Sternguard one would be a dream come true.

A primaris kit like the deathwatch veteran kit would be amazing. The current deathwatch veteran kit is my absolute favourite so a primaris one would be the dream! Sadly I dont think we could be further away from that if we tried. The primaris line is rigid in there weapon types and i cant see that changing. 

I'd welcome it, but Artemis is a very, very new model in general.

A new character might be more likely.

Though if I was really laying in the wishlisting, I'd even say a Primaris kit built like the Sternguard one would be a dream come true.

A primaris kit like the deathwatch veteran kit would be amazing. The current deathwatch veteran kit is my absolute favourite so a primaris one would be the dream! Sadly I dont think we could be further away from that if we tried. The primaris line is rigid in there weapon types and i cant see that changing.

You're probably right, though a Veteran kit would be a perfect place to ignore that rigidity while still keeping it a key part of their identity.

But alas, it is not to be.

I would also expect there to be a new Necron unit or character before a DW one.

I’d love a Primaris Deathwatch watch master or Artemis passing through the the Ruby Murray and becoming Primaris.

There is approximately zero percent chance of him crossing the rubicon. All characters who did so far had ancient, metal models and even DA ones were deemed too young for upgrade and they got new guy instead. Artemis, with his last edition model? Nah.

If anything, I'd expect to lose him in next codex, the way we already lost all HQs from Team Cassius - apparently adding two sheets to faction starved of them is too much work :dry.: (though, to be fair, other factions like BA also lost some plastic models, but they had tons to begin with...)

I take you never saw primaris wolfwolf characters, with literally all of their gear being nonstandard?

Funnily enough, the second they cross to DW they lose this ability though, maybe Codex Watchstartes does not approve of this action? :ph34r.:

The funny thing about this question is that, at least for me, whenever any faction gets a new model it almost always means my DW gets a new model.

Ah, yes, let me convert this brand new Tor Garadon into DW Gravis Cap--

Oh wait.

Hmm, maybe then Shrike into DW Captain with jet--

Oh wait.

Fine, let's drop the jet pack and just have DW Captain in reiver armour with dual cla--

Oh wait.

Maybe we can take Calgar, dump the useless for DW gravis mini, and just use his bodyguards as primaris with storm shie--

Hmm, what I was supposed to say here?

Ok, how about using Feirros as primaris techma--

Oh wait.

Surely then maybe at least a regular techm--? Ahahahaha, No.

Gee, I see no issues whatsoever with this approach, none at all, surely Kelly and Cruddace wouldn't be so lazy to miss a dozen of generic datasheets all other SM factions have access to, eh? I am actually now starting to wonder if the DW PA delay isn't caused by them trying to decide what else they should drop from finished rules, we can't have the one SM faction with access to all possible gear having actual options, can we? :dry.:

Wasn't hard for me. Maybe it just takes an ounce of innovative thinking. Here, I'll help you out.

For my force, Tor Garadon and Calgar both became the base of a themed Aggressor or Inceptor using the dark magic of arm and weapon swaps.

Same with Feirros, who had to take it a step further by including the forbidden act of using a different backpack bit.

Kor Sarro became a cool themed Sarge for Intercessors - same with Adrax. Both were better off with a new helmet, which so far is the height of cleverness.

Shrike became a Reiver Sarge for Kill Team, perhaps the most difficult to find a place in 40k, but only because Reivers are hot garbage.

Tigurius became a Librarian. This was so unexpected!

Mephiston was the base of a Blood Angels Watch Captain.

Lazarus is on my hobby table ready to be turned into a new Primaris Watch Captain.

Tolmeron, Zakariah, and Calsius all became themed Intercessors by taking the drastic conversion step of changing their bases to a different size.

Lazarus is on my hobby table ready to be turned into a new Primaris Watch Captain.

Tolmeron, Zakariah, and Calsius all became themed Intercessors by taking the drastic conversion step of changing their bases to a different size.

Yep Lazarus has been kitbashed as a Watchmaster for my DW 

and Tolmeron and Zakariah are now sergeants with a base swap. Great minds nearly think alike. :biggrin.:

I take you never saw primaris wolfwolf characters, with literally all of their gear being nonstandard?

Funnily enough, the second they cross to DW they lose this ability though, maybe Codex Watchstartes does not approve of this action? :ph34r.:

You seem very negative about everything. With some weapon and/or base swaps nearly all of the new characters can be used by the deathwatch as Lemondish and axineton pointed out. Also when i was talking about rigid weapon types i was refering to squads not single chapter specific characters. All squads in the primaris range seem to be limited to one weapon type where as with the old deathwatch veteran squad each marine could be equipped with pretty much anything you could think of.

Yep Lazarus has been kitbashed as a Watchmaster for my DW 

and Tolmeron and Zakariah are now sergeants with a base swap. Great minds nearly think alike. :biggrin.:

I had too many Sarges already, especially with swords, so I went ahead and just made them themed members of the squad. I'd ideally love to reach a point where I have a Primaris squad that looks a little something like Kill Team Cassius in its themes, but I'm not there just yet...

I need another Calsius, that's for certain. 

• 2 weeks later...