Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

+++ To the Bitter End - The Badab War +++

Astral Claws Badab War Truescale Futility Extinction Elegy

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Brother Dallo

Brother Dallo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,597 posts
  • Faction: Angels Encarmine
Some really cool stuff here. The models, fluff and overall discussion are all great.

I really should get back to my truescale Badab War long at some point.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03B_Custos_Fidei.jpg 

So yeah, long story short.

Dallo <- Blame that guy.

Obscura, on 08 Mar 2016 

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers, Adeptus Custodes

QEDTORZ.jpg

Target Acquired...

And we're back, boys. msn-wink.gif  New fully finished model later tonight or tomorrow!

• Dosjetka, Grotsmasha, Aeternus and 2 others like this

Lord Commander Vulkus Dorn

Lord Commander Vulkus Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 212 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Love this! I’m a huge fan of Badab, working on Carcharodons myself. Nice to see the Claws getting some love

"They shall be MY finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to ME. Like clay I shall mold them and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armor shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns shall they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines such that no foe can best them in battle. They are MY bulwark against the Terror . They are THE Defenders of Humanity. They are MY Space Marines and they shall KNOW NO FEAR!

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts

Battle Brother Vaarnar of the Astral Claws Chapter

Legionary Cohort Squad Haakon, XIII Legion

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, outside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Bisected by direct hit from a Predator Autocannon

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

He never made the last shot.

FN4eBkT.jpg

p3HlCa5.jpg

s9CwQ0t.jpg

zVzQQka.jpg

CARRY THE LAPIS
Markings of Honour are common place amidst the Astartes Chapters of the Imperium. For a Chapter of such martial prowess and great hubris as the Astral Claws, such distinctions held special significance. It was an insult to the code of lions to not bear one's pride for all to see. Despite the damnations seen in the later years of their now extinct history, the Astral Claws largely maintained great adherence to the Codex Astartes and its many codified rituals. Among their personalized rituals the distinction of he Lapis. This ancient ritual is said to have originated from the Chapter's very inception when the founding Chapter Master accepted a rosary of lapis beads from the Living Saint, Sebastian Thor, before taking the crusading Chapter across the stars. While this story was popular amidst the Ministorum Priests within the Badab Secotr and often used in their many sermons, the historical probability of this event is quite ludicrous considering that the Chapter was supposedly founded in the 25th millennium, nearly on thousand years before the Reign of Blood and the birth of Sebastian Thor. 

Regardless of where it originated, proud lapis blue is marked as one of the Astral Claw's heraldic colours, and yet it is not often displayed upon the warplate of the silver Astartes. The Lapis blue holds a special significance to the Chapter, one of such important that its use was outright banned in the later years of the Tyrant's reign for any mortal to wear on their person. The origin of this prohibition comes from the very simple fact that even the Astartes are not freely allowed to wear the Lapis of their Chapter's heraldry. Simply put, it must be first earned. In the Chapter of the Crimson Fists, a neophyte will daub their armoured left hand crimson upon their initiation as a full battle brother of the Chapter and then later in life daub their right hand the same when ascending to the ranks of the veteran 1st Company. For the Astral Claws, the honour of the Lapis is something between these. Although neophytes may ascend to becoming battle brothers of the Chapter, it is often speculated that these warriors of unadorned silver hold far less respect in the eyes of their brothers and will never ascend above their position until they have earned the Lapis. No warrior as ever ascended into the veteran 1st Company without having first earned the Lapis and very few have ever obtained leadership without it either. Something of a lesser to the Imperial Laurels, to carry the lapis upon the shoulder of their Chapter's heraldry is a mark of distinction and personal heroism. It is presently unconfirmed of any exact ritual that grants this mark, but rather it is likely earned on the battlefield. There is no one exact criteria to earn the Lapis and it is likely that no two Claws have ever earned theirs in the same way. All that can be confirmed is that the decision of whether a warrior's deeds has earned them the right to carry the Lapis is solely at the decision of the Honoured Patriarch of the Tabernacle (High Chaplain). Because of this, the criteria shifted with each passing of leadership within the Chapter's spiritual sanctity. By tradition, even the Chapter Master may not grant the honour, though he may advocate for a worthy candidate and there is very few recorded instances of this ever being rejected by the High Chaplain. 

While it has never been entirely confirmed, it is suspected that the criteria for an Astartes to earn the right to carry the Lapis heraldry took a much darker turn as the Badab War raged on. It is largely believed that the Honoured Patriarch of the Tabernacle granted the honour only  towarriors of proven loyalty to the Tyrant of Badab and, more importantly, a sizable kill tally of enemy Space Marines. For the many warriors inducted into the Chapter as the war raged on, this became a prominent form of psychological endorsement for their ever-spiraling fall to damnation. These fresh warriors will never been truly seen as one of the Chapter until they have earned it in the blood of their fellow Astartes.

Edited by Noctus Cornix, 25 May 2020 - 03:53 AM.

• Dosjetka, Grotsmasha, Lucerne and 9 others like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,918 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on Brother Vaarnar.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts
Thank you kindly, brother Bjorn! :)

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 571 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Good looking miniature. The lore makes this plog great. Keep it up! 

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png gallery_48988_16228_15684.png      

My Works in Progress

Profile picture by Julie Hang as part of Mermay. 

Yosef Hausakluif

Yosef Hausakluif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 457 posts
  • Faction: Too many to list!
Bionic leg looks sweet! And the overall feel of all these models and paint job is dead on!

Jukkiz

Jukkiz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 827 posts
  • Faction: Sinners

I do like the idea of bionic leg from mechanium thallax.

Or is it from that AT mini knights?

"Every world is under Emperors might, then why i feel empty..."

15th tactical marine 6th company, Ermus. Sinners chapter

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,179 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

Damn Noctus, just damn. You hit both the model and the fluff into orbit never mind out of the park.

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

Sons of Horus 38th Company

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 932 posts

"By tradition, even the Chapter Master may grant the honour, though he may advocate for a worthy candidate and there is very few recorded instances of this ever being rejected by the High Chaplain. 

may not?

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts

Good looking miniature. The lore makes this plog great. Keep it up! 

Thank you kindly! Been a while, but we're back!

Bionic leg looks sweet! And the overall feel of all these models and paint job is dead on!

I appreciate it, man!

I do like the idea of bionic leg from mechanium thallax.

Or is it from that AT mini knights?

That is a spare leg from the Thallax kit.

Damn Noctus, just damn. You hit both the model and the fluff into orbit never mind out of the park.

Appreciate the love, brother! :)

"By tradition, even the Chapter Master may grant the honour, though he may advocate for a worthy candidate and there is very few recorded instances of this ever being rejected by the High Chaplain. 

may not?

Yeeeeah... May have had a small error there. It's been fixed now. 

Battle Brother Mykail of the Astral Claws Chapter

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, inside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Plasma Overheat Detonation 

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

Determined to earn the Lapis, he burned with the fury of a sun to the very end.

KRecCEq.jpg

yDEkqwt.jpg

j8Bdhi2.jpg

hTsEFd8.jpg

As always, enjoy. 

• Grotsmasha, No Foes Remain, Ryltar Thamior and 1 other like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,918 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on Mykail. Did he write his oath of moment on the scroll covering his right pauldron?
  • Noctus Cornix likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Brother Dallo

Brother Dallo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,597 posts
  • Faction: Angels Encarmine
Glad to see you posting again.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03B_Custos_Fidei.jpg 

So yeah, long story short.

Dallo <- Blame that guy.

Obscura, on 08 Mar 2016 

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,179 posts

Good to see you back Noctus, love the model and its an interesting choice not giving him the lapis yet giving him a plasma gun.

Also how many of those Claw shoulder pads you got left?

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

-----

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts

Excellent work on Mykail. Did he write his oath of moment on the scroll covering his right pauldron?

He sure did! Glad you caught that little bit!

Glad to see you posting again.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thank you, brother! I'll do my best!

Good to see you back Noctus, love the model and its an interesting choice not giving him the lapis yet giving him a plasma gun.

Also how many of those Claw shoulder pads you got left?

Glad to be back, man! Yeah I thought about whether I wanted to give him the Lapis or not and eventually decided against it. Those that have more to prove will go to greater lengths in order to earn their place in the Chapter, even if it means taking a more dangerous and... volatile approach. ;)

Well As it currently stands, I have a full 10 man squad fully built and 1 extra guy that I used to build a test model for a Sternguard Veteran. All of them have a Forgeworld shoulder pad. Besides that, I have about 42 more Power armour shoulder pads and 15 terminator shoulder pads, alongside all the transfers I have left from the transfer sheet. So, unfortunately, when I'm done with those pads, that's probably going to be the end of that unless I can manage to find some Astral Claw shoulder pads on Ebay. We'll have to see, I guess. Either way, that's a good way's off for now. I'm currently still incapable of being able to afford buying any new models so these 11 are all I'm going to have for the next foreseeable future. 

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,179 posts

It may be worth having a look on Shapeways, I know someone on there had some Power Armour Astral Claw ones and Tyrants Claw ones but I didn't seem to have bookmarked it for easy access (that I can find, my bookmarks are a mess). If I do find any I'll be sure to send you a link as I've only got 10 PA ones and I think 5 Termie ones for my own force(where the termies are I don't know) but I do, however, have 5 transfer sheets which I plan on using (I got scared in the LCTB don't judge!) so I guess that means I have to have a large force to use them all!

Edit: Noctus, after a quick google I hit the jackpot! That dude even has some vehicle parts for the Astral Claws and Boarding Shields.... Damn.

Edited by No Foes Remain, 25 May 2020 - 06:37 PM.

-----

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts

It may be worth having a look on Shapeways, I know someone on there had some Power Armour Astral Claw ones and Tyrants Claw ones but I didn't seem to have bookmarked it for easy access (that I can find, my bookmarks are a mess). If I do find any I'll be sure to send you a link as I've only got 10 PA ones and I think 5 Termie ones for my own force(where the termies are I don't know) but I do, however, have 5 transfer sheets which I plan on using (I got scared in the LCTB don't judge!) so I guess that means I have to have a large force to use them all!

Edit: Noctus, after a quick google I hit the jackpot! That dude even has some vehicle parts for the Astral Claws and Boarding Shields.... Damn.

Ooooh... I will definitely be bookmarking this for the future, if it comes to that. Thank you so much, brother!

Battle Brother Ventana of the Astral Claws Chapter

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, inside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A,  Decapitation by a Chainsword

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

Divided between two loyalties, he lived as the eternal outcast. Even in the end, he was never accepted as one of them.

gwjTir0.jpg

IPZFvdd.jpg

KLDuZxe.jpg

b7heqHJ.jpg

• KBA, NightHunters, Grotsmasha and 6 others like this

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,179 posts

Happy to help a fellow Astral Claw! And he looks ace, must have been hard for him to fight against the Imperial Forces having been a Watch Brother. Any reason why he didn't try to leave or was it just too late and he was stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Also love the little Tigris pistol!

-----

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,559 posts

Originally he was going to have the deathwatch pistol from the Cassius model in the big box, but I accidentally royally messed it up during the building process so I had to scrap the poor thing. Tigrus seemed like the next logical decision. 

As for why? Well, why did the World Eaters follow Angron into the butcher's nails? Why did they follow their insane, broken lord into civil war?

The answer is simple for Ventana. They were his brothers. 

Edited by Noctus Cornix, 28 May 2020 - 02:37 PM.

• Lucerne, No Foes Remain and Ryltar Thamior like this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 932 posts

"There are many like you, good men in service to bad causes..."

• Noctus Cornix and Ryltar Thamior like this

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,005 posts
  • Faction: Eagles Eternal
Those purity seals that you wrote on are amazing. How did you write that small?

Really cool bionics and mud you’ve done. Keep it up.
USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

Ryltar Thamior

Ryltar Thamior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 712 posts

Great use of both the SW blade-drawing arm, and the pistol-swap - that must've been surprisingly annoying to do [for some reason, liberating primaris hands/arms from their bolt-rifles is often an ordeal]; but manages a decent and realistic pose

also, the Deathwatch pauldron and helmet , plus that one line of text in the bio - really helps to tell a story , succinctly ; well done 

Vox Stellarum efforts:
The Unyielding Adamanticores [truescale Astartes, auxilia, and sectorial AdMech; M37/38]
The Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir [truescale Astartes ... and associates]
The Unification Wars [truescale Thunder Warriors, (Proto-)Astartes, Army of Unification, Aegyptian-style Proto-Mechanicus raiders, etc.]
Combat Archaeology [Tomb Raiding for Fun & Prophet]
Horus Heresy [truescale loyalist IVth, VIIIth; Agents of the Sigillite; VIth; and so much more; and Umbral's amazing Traitors]
The Worlds-Wide Webway [(Dark) Eldar, Imperial Inquisition, an a-maze-ing realmweave of fear and wondermeant]
Thorian Inquisition [some rather different Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, true-scale Fire Hawks, Black Dragon, Inquisitor and associates, etc.]
For Whom The Great Bell Tolls Thrice [attempts to put the 'priest' back in 'tech-priest' with more-medieval mechanicus]
InquisiNecronMunda [the log that incepted it all - at least two Inquisitors, truescale Deathwatch, local enforcers, cultists, etc.]

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 571 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Really characterful. :) :) 

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png gallery_48988_16228_15684.png      

My Works in Progress

Profile picture by Julie Hang as part of Mermay. 

TheTrans

TheTrans

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 323 posts

Stunning as always mate! 

I love your little succinct fluff tidbits! 

• KBA and Noctus Cornix like this

++A Roar Amongst the Thorns++ - A Turescale Astral Claws Plog

++A Cloak of Foes Felled++ - A 30k Thunder Warrior narrative Plog

++The Free Flesh is Strong++ - A 30k Dark Mechanicum narrative Plog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astral Claws, Badab War, Truescale, Futility, Extinction, Elegy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users