+++ To the Bitter End - The Badab War +++

• 1 month later...

Battle Brother Vaarnar of the Astral Claws Chapter

Legionary Cohort Squad Haakon, XIII Legion

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, outside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Bisected by direct hit from a Predator Autocannon

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

He never made the last shot.

FN4eBkT.jpg

p3HlCa5.jpg

s9CwQ0t.jpg

zVzQQka.jpg

CARRY THE LAPIS
Markings of Honour are common place amidst the Astartes Chapters of the Imperium. For a Chapter of such martial prowess and great hubris as the Astral Claws, such distinctions held special significance. It was an insult to the code of lions to not bear one's pride for all to see. Despite the damnations seen in the later years of their now extinct history, the Astral Claws largely maintained great adherence to the Codex Astartes and its many codified rituals. Among their personalized rituals the distinction of he Lapis. This ancient ritual is said to have originated from the Chapter's very inception when the founding Chapter Master accepted a rosary of lapis beads from the Living Saint, Sebastian Thor, before taking the crusading Chapter across the stars. While this story was popular amidst the Ministorum Priests within the Badab Secotr and often used in their many sermons, the historical probability of this event is quite ludicrous considering that the Chapter was supposedly founded in the 25th millennium, nearly on thousand years before the Reign of Blood and the birth of Sebastian Thor. 

Regardless of where it originated, proud lapis blue is marked as one of the Astral Claw's heraldic colours, and yet it is not often displayed upon the warplate of the silver Astartes. The Lapis blue holds a special significance to the Chapter, one of such important that its use was outright banned in the later years of the Tyrant's reign for any mortal to wear on their person. The origin of this prohibition comes from the very simple fact that even the Astartes are not freely allowed to wear the Lapis of their Chapter's heraldry. Simply put, it must be first earned. In the Chapter of the Crimson Fists, a neophyte will daub their armoured left hand crimson upon their initiation as a full battle brother of the Chapter and then later in life daub their right hand the same when ascending to the ranks of the veteran 1st Company. For the Astral Claws, the honour of the Lapis is something between these. Although neophytes may ascend to becoming battle brothers of the Chapter, it is often speculated that these warriors of unadorned silver hold far less respect in the eyes of their brothers and will never ascend above their position until they have earned the Lapis. No warrior as ever ascended into the veteran 1st Company without having first earned the Lapis and very few have ever obtained leadership without it either. Something of a lesser to the Imperial Laurels, to carry the lapis upon the shoulder of their Chapter's heraldry is a mark of distinction and personal heroism. It is presently unconfirmed of any exact ritual that grants this mark, but rather it is likely earned on the battlefield. There is no one exact criteria to earn the Lapis and it is likely that no two Claws have ever earned theirs in the same way. All that can be confirmed is that the decision of whether a warrior's deeds has earned them the right to carry the Lapis is solely at the decision of the Honoured Patriarch of the Tabernacle (High Chaplain). Because of this, the criteria shifted with each passing of leadership within the Chapter's spiritual sanctity. By tradition, even the Chapter Master may not grant the honour, though he may advocate for a worthy candidate and there is very few recorded instances of this ever being rejected by the High Chaplain. 

While it has never been entirely confirmed, it is suspected that the criteria for an Astartes to earn the right to carry the Lapis heraldry took a much darker turn as the Badab War raged on. It is largely believed that the Honoured Patriarch of the Tabernacle granted the honour only  towarriors of proven loyalty to the Tyrant of Badab and, more importantly, a sizable kill tally of enemy Space Marines. For the many warriors inducted into the Chapter as the war raged on, this became a prominent form of psychological endorsement for their ever-spiraling fall to damnation. These fresh warriors will never been truly seen as one of the Chapter until they have earned it in the blood of their fellow Astartes.
Edited by Noctus Cornix

• 1 month later...

Good looking miniature. The lore makes this plog great. Keep it up! 

Thank you kindly! Been a while, but we're back!

Bionic leg looks sweet! And the overall feel of all these models and paint job is dead on!

I appreciate it, man!

I do like the idea of bionic leg from mechanium thallax.

Or is it from that AT mini knights?

That is a spare leg from the Thallax kit.

Damn Noctus, just damn. You hit both the model and the fluff into orbit never mind out of the park.

Appreciate the love, brother! :)

"By tradition, even the Chapter Master may grant the honour, though he may advocate for a worthy candidate and there is very few recorded instances of this ever being rejected by the High Chaplain. 

may not?

Yeeeeah... May have had a small error there. It's been fixed now. 

Battle Brother Mykail of the Astral Claws Chapter

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, inside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Plasma Overheat Detonation 

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

Determined to earn the Lapis, he burned with the fury of a sun to the very end.

KRecCEq.jpg

yDEkqwt.jpg

j8Bdhi2.jpg

hTsEFd8.jpg

As always, enjoy. 

Excellent work on Mykail. Did he write his oath of moment on the scroll covering his right pauldron?

He sure did! Glad you caught that little bit!

Glad to see you posting again.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thank you, brother! I'll do my best!

Good to see you back Noctus, love the model and its an interesting choice not giving him the lapis yet giving him a plasma gun.

Also how many of those Claw shoulder pads you got left?

Glad to be back, man! Yeah I thought about whether I wanted to give him the Lapis or not and eventually decided against it. Those that have more to prove will go to greater lengths in order to earn their place in the Chapter, even if it means taking a more dangerous and... volatile approach. ;)

Well As it currently stands, I have a full 10 man squad fully built and 1 extra guy that I used to build a test model for a Sternguard Veteran. All of them have a Forgeworld shoulder pad. Besides that, I have about 42 more Power armour shoulder pads and 15 terminator shoulder pads, alongside all the transfers I have left from the transfer sheet. So, unfortunately, when I'm done with those pads, that's probably going to be the end of that unless I can manage to find some Astral Claw shoulder pads on Ebay. We'll have to see, I guess. Either way, that's a good way's off for now. I'm currently still incapable of being able to afford buying any new models so these 11 are all I'm going to have for the next foreseeable future. 

It may be worth having a look on Shapeways, I know someone on there had some Power Armour Astral Claw ones and Tyrants Claw ones but I didn't seem to have bookmarked it for easy access (that I can find, my bookmarks are a mess). If I do find any I'll be sure to send you a link as I've only got 10 PA ones and I think 5 Termie ones for my own force(where the termies are I don't know) but I do, however, have 5 transfer sheets which I plan on using (I got scared in the LCTB don't judge!) so I guess that means I have to have a large force to use them all!

Edit: Noctus, after a quick google I hit the jackpot! That dude even has some vehicle parts for the Astral Claws and Boarding Shields.... Damn.

Edited by No Foes Remain

It may be worth having a look on Shapeways, I know someone on there had some Power Armour Astral Claw ones and Tyrants Claw ones but I didn't seem to have bookmarked it for easy access (that I can find, my bookmarks are a mess). If I do find any I'll be sure to send you a link as I've only got 10 PA ones and I think 5 Termie ones for my own force(where the termies are I don't know) but I do, however, have 5 transfer sheets which I plan on using (I got scared in the LCTB don't judge!) so I guess that means I have to have a large force to use them all!

Edit: Noctus, after a quick google I hit the jackpot! That dude even has some vehicle parts for the Astral Claws and Boarding Shields.... Damn.

Ooooh... I will definitely be bookmarking this for the future, if it comes to that. Thank you so much, brother!

Battle Brother Ventana of the Astral Claws Chapter

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, inside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A,  Decapitation by a Chainsword

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

Divided between two loyalties, he lived as the eternal outcast. Even in the end, he was never accepted as one of them.

gwjTir0.jpg

IPZFvdd.jpg

KLDuZxe.jpg

b7heqHJ.jpg

Happy to help a fellow Astral Claw! And he looks ace, must have been hard for him to fight against the Imperial Forces having been a Watch Brother. Any reason why he didn't try to leave or was it just too late and he was stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Also love the little Tigris pistol!

Originally he was going to have the deathwatch pistol from the Cassius model in the big box, but I accidentally royally messed it up during the building process so I had to scrap the poor thing. Tigrus seemed like the next logical decision. 

As for why? Well, why did the World Eaters follow Angron into the butcher's nails? Why did they follow their insane, broken lord into civil war?

The answer is simple for Ventana. They were his brothers. 

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Great use of both the SW blade-drawing arm, and the pistol-swap - that must've been surprisingly annoying to do [for some reason, liberating primaris hands/arms from their bolt-rifles is often an ordeal]; but manages a decent and realistic pose

also, the Deathwatch pauldron and helmet , plus that one line of text in the bio - really helps to tell a story , succinctly ; well done