Sector Mechanicus base alternatives (different sizes)

Ascanius

I really love GW's Sector Mechanicus bases, but I have run into a problem with my recently acquired Theta-7 Acquisitus kill team - namely, there's no 50mm base in the set for the Tech-Priest Manipulus.

There aren't any sculpted 50mm bases in any of the various sets, even if I wanted to spend AUD 55 on one base - which I don't.

Can anyone recommend a Sector Mechanicus-like 50mm base? I'm happy to look at 3D-printed or resin options.

Failing that, I'll probably get a terrain roller like Green Stuff World's Factory Floor option, but it's not the best design in terms of matching the Sector Mechanicus stuff.

There's nothing I've seen that really fits the detail of the sector mechanicus bases, which is mainly why I've never used them myself! Though they do look great in the available sizes.

So best bet i think would to be use a part of the range as a base topper for a 50mm. I.e cut down the top of a 65mm base, or cut out a 50mm circle of sector mechanicus scenery, then glue it atop a 50mm base. I'd recommend using a holesaw (also known as hole cutters) or the like to get a smooth 50mm circle.

There are of course a LOT of industrial/necromunda/hulk bases about, but they don't really fit, with diamond plates etc, like the GSW factory roller.

There's fenris games sulaco bases, which might fit with some extra gubbins on;

526198275.jpg

Or not in the grid style, microart studios pipeworks bases could also work.

G9kPUYU.png?1

For making your own with greenstuff, there's basius deep space max pad

The pad is negative impression, for pressing a greenstuff covered base onto.

Deep_Space_Basius_pad_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v

(they sell the pad split up into small pieces for cheaper if there's a specific area that you like, such as the hulk corridor)

example of use:

Basius_Deep_space_community_photo_261_10

Edited by Arkhanist

Thanks! The MicroArtworks "pipeworks" base is one I've seen and liked myself, especially for a character model.

They also have these "tech" bases that would work:

tech-bases-round-50mm-2.jpg

Secret Weapon has these "warp core" bases but only one of them, without the hexagon-patterned flooring, would suit me, but they're only available singly in round-edged rather than bevelled style (which only come as a pack of 3).

One of the final issues of Conquest has the flooring pieces from the Galvanic Magnavent in it.  If you only need a couple of bases, cutting that up might work (IIRC, the Sector Mechanicus bases seem to just be "cuts" from the flooring pieces), although that wouldn't be overly cheap, mind.

Thanks for the suggestion! I only need one right now, for the Tech-Priest Manipulus.

Unfortunately, I'm in Australia, so while I'm actually a Conquest subscriber my next issues are 20-23.

That said, that delivery should include the Battlefield Accessories set, so maybe I can use the metal plate from underneath the open ammo box?

99229999041_BattlefieldAccessoriesNEW01.

Unfortunately, I'm in Australia, so while I'm actually a Conquest subscriber my next issues are 20-23.

Well that's unhelpful of GW! :doh:

Maybe I can use the metal plate from underneath the open ammo box?

Do you still have the "dreadnought" base from the pack?  If so, I'd be inclined to either:

• trim it down and use it as a "base topper",
  • make a print of the pattern onto ~0.5mm plasti-card (a bit like a potato-stamp - coat the base in thin black paint, press it onto the plasti-card, removed), and then cut the white bits out, trim the disc to size and glue to the top of a regular base - that should still retain the "grated" look of the other bases.

That gives me a thought - if you've still got a 65mm base from the set.

If you've got blue stuff/oyumaru, take a cast of the 65mm base. If not then you can still do a green stuff mold. Roll a piece of green stuff out flat (using a roller, or cd to get it flat) and let it cure for about 20 minutes so it stiffens somewhat but is still moldable.

Using something like vaseline or baby oil, lube up the 65mm base, and press it firmly into the greenstuff 'blank' - the lube stops it sticking, so you can remove the 65mm cleanly without twisting or levering; if it messes up, just roll the greenstuff blank flat and try again until you get a clean cast.

Leave the mold to dry, best overnight.

Then you take a blank 50mm base, put a thin layer of greenstuff on it and flatten, lube up the mold a little, and press the 50mm into your negative 65mm space firmly - again, remove without sliding or twisting. Trim any overflow from around the rim while its soft with a sharp knife, and bingo, a 50mm mechanicus base you can let dry. Bonus, keep the negative mold and you can use it to stamp any size base you like up to 65mm!

Blue stuff works similarly for making a cast of an object, but it's a thermoplastic (heat up with hot water to make soft) so it's a lot faster to get a usable mold and easier to get the cast piece out.

Edited by Arkhanist

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't have any blue stuff, but that sounds like a useful thing to have, so I may get some!

Oh blue stuff is great. I last used it to cast some storm bolters to convert the easy-to-build redemptor, and I'll shortly be making some copies of the blight launcher for my plague marines (of course they only give you one per box). Green stuff press molds are fine for single sided stuff (used that method back in the 90's for shoulder pads!) but blue stuff lets you do full 3D molds quickly and is reusable to boot.

Just don't go selling any parts/models you duplicate!

• 4 weeks later...