Hi there,

I've played traitor guard in my campaign and we (me and my son) customized some rules and some stratagems, but after some games our work looks imperfect and clumsy. So we started to work on something new, something much in line with standard rules, but which can give some spice to an otherwise anonimus list which lack lot of love from GW.

We decided to use the basic list from the Index plus the possibility to add the units from Blackstone fortress. Than we summarized some few, but simple rules.

Warlord Trait:  We decided to use the warlord trait from 30k Militia from the  "Crusade Imperialis" book

We add to the Chaos Coven the possibility to buy one Provenance and the mandatory Tainted Flash from the same 30K book.

Stratagems: They may use the 3 basic stratagems from core rules, plus the standard Strat for maelstrom (New orders)

Psy Power: The three basic from the Index list, plus Smite, plus the Psy Power from the Specific god taken from CSM Book, in line with Chaos Covenant.

Relics: We added four relics: One to recover own CP at 5+, One Power Sword +2 Str +2 Att but mortal wound on a roll of 1 each combat phase, One banner granting 5++ but every time the squad made a save loose a model sucked in the void, finally a relic which made fearles the bearer and every unit inside 3"

Than we thougth some special rules which will grant some special ability to the warband, we colled this BLESSED BY THE GODS:

-    Lord or a character roll twice on chaos boon table

-    Mutants and Cultists have 5++ save

-    Designate a unit at the beginning of the game. When this unit is completely destroyed roll a 4+ for each model. For every succes the model is redeployed on the table forming a new unit which must be placed more than 9" from the enemy (one per game)

-    They can use the same stratagem more than once per phase (like narrative missions) even in matched or maelstrom game.

Ok, nothing official, and maybe someone could find it bad, but we both feel that Traitors and Heretics had got a really unjustified and bad treatment from GW. Maybe some of this ability will prove too much wish list than balanced one, but compared with some other army they really need some help. If someone has suggestions, or wish to try in casual games...

Hope to have some feedback from you.

Thanks

Edited by major higgins

This has gone around for a long time since the days of Eye of Terror when they actually had an army list. This was also the days when you could get a mutant kit that was basically a sprue from the IG line, ork line and zombie line of miniatures which you combined to make the horde. Then of course FW came around with Varks and Lost and the Damned which neither were complete trash but they didn't get the love directly from GW.

Which brings us to the present where there is next to nothing official except in the form of cultists from the regular Chaos dex and Blackstone fortress. Although I believe I saw something just this past week about FW redoing their line up of rules for their models which may include some traitor guard goodies to bring it more in line with this edition.

But in this edition count as armies are far easier to pull off than ever before. Why? Simple, everyone has access to the same detachments which means you can field the army you want more than ever. For instance if you wanted to run a traitor guard armoured company you can with a spearhead detachment. Not to mention you can add other units that you couldn't before due to the entire Key Word listings.

The easiest way to run a traitor guard force is to use either the Astra Militarum, Genestealer cult or Adeptus Mechanicus and convert to your hearts content. Just when you wish to use allies you would have to take the appropriate codexs to go along with them. For instance if you wanted to do a Khorne flavored warband use the Astra M or Adeptus M books for your hordes of guys and then add Blood Angels to it. Similarly you could use the Genestealer Cults dex for your sneaky infiltrators and use the Nid's dex to represent daemons.

We just have to be more creative because we don't have a specific codex to lean on.