Basing Done Easy

Hi everyone, I saw many people noting they had issues with getting bases done (one thing or another, etc, judgment free). I thought it might be useful to share a very simple, straightforward method. The key is an item called Crackle Paste (I use Golden brand). It's a paste that you can spread (like butter) on your bases. If it is a thin layer then when it dries it becomes a rough texture. Thicker layers crack and form a more "parched earth" look.

Assuming one does not want to paint the bases separately from the model then one can put down a single base layers and then dry brush. Personally, I paint my bases separate: spray base color, dry brush, and done.

lqX64MWl.jpg?1

WxaY7b9l.jpg

That looks good. I assume it's much cheaper than the GW texture paints for more quantity ?

Yeah it's a lot cheaper. 227ml for ~16€ compared to GW'S 24ml for ~6€.

The other difference is that crackle paste is not pigmented and starts white. I let it dry and paint over it, but it can be used as an acrylic medium (my research along this avenue indicated it can take a fair bit of trial and error, hence me just painting over it).

voNIdxIl.jpg

How's the shelf life?

Really good if you keep it tightly sealed. After about a year it starts getting too dry to apply smoothly.