Majkhel's not Blood Angels thingies - another Assassin

Majkhel

Loving the sister there! I think your suggestion of adding more yellow to the bolter and eye lenses will work well. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Dwango!

I think I've settled on the scheme. Manged to add another 2 girls and I like the look of them in the group as well.

gallery_105306_16875_311723.jpg

gallery_105306_16875_419917.jpg

Still WIPs and some things require addressing.

For the Bolters, I've added a transition from a little warmer shade (added a touch of brown beside black for the shade) ad strengthened the yellow in the upper parts with additional stronger edge highlight. I also made some scratches shade for even stronger contrast. And because my chosen yellow - VMC Lemon Yellow) is either a bit old, or otherwise really hard to work with - kinda pasty and does not mix well with water. Just got to be careful not to make them overly busy. I like their overall cool colour - it works well with the blue-green plate.

Now I need a new, single colour as base for the armour. For those three, I've been mixing the shade using blue, light blue and green (plus black and white for shades and highlights respectively), but I don't imagine doing it for a whole army not to mention vehicles. I'm eyeing the Vallejo Turquoise or Jade Green paints as potential solutions. Unfortunately my local shops do not have them for the moment, so I'll have to order and then see them on a model to be sure. Internet images are obviously only of a general reference value.

Cheers!

EDIT: a side note - Sisters are hard to paint on their bases once assembled. All the folds, leg armour intermingled together... I painted them on pins or sticks before putting them on bases and that worked. Arms were also painted separately and then attached to the torsos.

Edited by Majkhel

• 5 months later...

I see some time has passed without updates here. I managed to complete a whopping 5-girl squad:
gallery_105306_16875_1419585.jpg

20210317_101550.jpggallery_105306_16875_1929860.jpg

Still haven't found the single colour to substitute the mix I did on their plates. And I did tried at least 6 blue-green-turquoise paints. In the end I figured I either start eating through the acquired Sister's backlog or will spend eternity searching fr the perfect colour match :tongue.:
On the plus side, I've settled on the flowers on their bases and violet-pink details.

Cheers! Edited by Majkhel

The squad of Sisters looks amazing, the colours you picked (especially the colour of the armour and the yellow bolters) are pretty dope and are a great match. I'm sure that the photos don't do the miniatures justice. It's a bummer you didn't get a simple solution / ready colour equivalent, though. But you're right to move on with painting instead of fixating more on the colour match.

The squad of Sisters looks amazing, the colours you picked (especially the colour of the armour and the yellow bolters) are pretty dope and are a great match. I'm sure that the photos don't do the miniatures justice. It's a bummer you didn't get a simple solution / ready colour equivalent, though. But you're right to move on with painting instead of fixating more on the colour match.

Thank you kindly Cristopher!

The scheme is result of playing with the colour-wheel and colour theory. If you haven't explored this topic yet, try it! It's a fascinating journey :) And yeah, I'm struggling a bit to capture the actual armour colour. It being a mix of blues and greens clearly causes problems for my phone camera. Depending on the light, the colour comes out more green or more blue.

Yes, I am familiar with the notion and have some vague understanding how it works - I try to use it in photography; however, I never consciously applied it to the hobby - I mostly use random sources of inspiration from old books (including How to Paint Space Marines) or stuff I see online.

It's extremely tricky to get the photos right and - I think - it's often not worth the hassle, unless you want to take photos and properly showcase your models, like in the Hall of Honour subsection. For other purposes, such as sharing your progress with the community, whatever your phone/camera produces is fine.

By the way, how did you make the flowers?

Flowers are ready-made. You can buy them as any other tufts. These particular ones are from PaintForge. As far as I know they are made like normal grass-like tufts and then sprinkled with glue and small coloured bits to imitate flowers.

I guess you're right with the photos. I should probably just to do my best to make the pictures clear and sharp rather than search for the perfect colour rendition :)

• 6 months later...

Coming back to this almost forgotten thread with a fun addition - this will be a count-as Death Cult Assassin
(originally a 28mm Hot&Dangerous series: Azumi)
gallery_105306_16875_164756.jpg

gallery_105306_16875_11644.jpg
gallery_105306_16875_221097.jpg
gallery_105306_16875_158365.jpg

I keep finding that painting something different from time to time is really fun and helps you develop :)

As Death Cult Assassins are now in units of 2-5, I will paint a Knosso Prond model to match her at some point in time.
Cheers!

Edited by Majkhel

• 2 months later...

Back to he 40k proper - my take on Navigator Espern Locarno from the Blackstone Fortress game:gallery_105306_14251_185629.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_1840411.jpggallery_105306_14251_725409.jpggallery_105306_14251_208501.jpggallery_105306_14251_1589735.jpggallery_105306_14251_20149.jpggallery_105306_14251_285050.jpggallery_105306_14251_24288.jpggallery_105306_14251_866572.jpggallery_105306_14251_273670.jpg

Couple of things I had in mind while painting him:
- leave the comfort zone of red color :P
- try to reflect the connection between the Navigator and his duties of guiding ships (lots of dark blues and violets to represent space)
- try to reflect the wealth of the Navigators without going overboard
- NMM practicing...

That last one was quite a challenge as due to really small details (fortunately also crisp) on the mini, I limited myself to the rim of the armor and at one point decided to do a NMM gold thread on the cloak :teehee: I think it came out OK. 

The lettering on the scroll is mostly done with cut decals from the SoB transfer sheet (one is misplaced, but fortunately it's not that visible outside pictures). 

Cheers! :)

Edited by Majkhel

Your navigator is beautiful - the artwork on the cloak in particular.  I think it was a good decision t make the centre of the crest green - nice complimentary colour while still standing out and bringing attention to itself.  Very opulent looking.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

...what a gloriously silly looking model, though, very 40K. :happy:

Isn't it? :biggrin:
Not what we would expect from a Mechanicum Adept, but then all the goodies are there: coils, cables, bulbs, wires and a little sinister feel.
I didn't like the model when it was released but it grew on me with time. And during painting I really warmed up to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Time has come for another count-as Deatch-Cult Assassin so that I can field a unit of them.

large.Assassin21.jpg.bded33f53d4159b4b9e

Spoiler

large.Assassin22.jpg.e64023f1e5193c0efeb
large.Assassin23.jpg.aeecd9951b55fe2d50e
large.Assassin24.jpg.8ca59bc23576cfb92e9
large.Assassin25.jpg.3c5666cefcaad9e4b4elarge.Assassin26.jpg.b6ce02468452ae4b844
large.Assassin27.jpg.11941a4f5480ae87f0c
large.Assassin28.jpg.1e47cdcfd725be94923

This time it's a Corvus Belli production - one of the new Shinobu Kitsune figures. It has some similarities to the one I painted in February being a lady with a strong Japanese theme. Less 'traditional' and more sci-fi. In my mind this one fits perfectly into the Inquisition setting as presented in fantastic Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn, Ravenor and now Bequin series.
A lovely sculpt I was enamored of from first sight. She has that great feel of movement in her pose. Detail is crisp although really tiny in places. Compared to GW sculpts she was a real challenge but a welcome one.

A size comparison to a Primaris marine (had to put a Blood Angel here somewhere :tongue: ). The lady has a slight bump on the base to increase the jump-pose dynamics:
large.Assassin2comp.jpg.1718a33fb87c0b4d

Edited by Majkhel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

On 9/8/2022 at 1:28 AM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

She's gorgeous - what a great mini and you've given it a beautiful paint job.  The white hair is a bit unexpected, though - what were your thoughts for that?  Was it to contrast the rich colours on the rest of the model?

Sorry I missed your post! That's a good question.
It's not a deeply thought-through thing. I had only a rough idea of what I want when I started to work on her, but I defined 2 main concepts beforehand.

First was that I wanted to make her a little bit a negative of the previous girl. She had a single big sword instead of 2 smaller ones so it made some sense in that regards. As the feature to fulfil this, I chose the hair to be white as the first girl has it black.

The second concept was to use the jade and purple as main colors on the body. When I painted the earlier girl, I introduced the purple very late in the process, but I loved the result. With the new girl I wanted to explore the idea more thoroughly.

In retrospect, I have to say I got really drawn into the painting of the body armor and the colors around it. However the hair remained kind of separated in my head from the rest of the mini because it followed a different concept path :rolleyes: Looking at it now, I think they are not bad, but they do are a bit bland. If I were to do something about it, I think I could introduce some delicate pink and yellow glazes in certain areas. That would definitely push the overall looks even more towards the cyber-punk area, but would make more sense from the color palette's perspective I think.

Thanks for the question! :biggrin: 

22 hours ago, sockwithaticket said:

Nice vibrant colours. Cool to go with a very different scheme for a DCA as well as a different model. I like purple and teal, have been toying with combining the two, so it's good to get a look at something which does so.

Cheers sockwithaticket!
Definitely try it, it's a great combination. Very striking. The key I think is to keep one a bit more saturated than the other. Your choice which obviously :wink:

For extra saturation on the pink/purple, go with magenta and add yellow for extra vibrancy. Adding yellow was a real discovery for me as I struggled with highlighting pink without loosing saturation that normally happens when you add just white.

EDIT: 
By the way, I actually did a little change to the last assassin after a very apt suggestion from my painting group - a minor things in terms of effort, but with a noticeable impact. A slight coloration on the lips (how could I have forgotten? It's actually crucial imo for female models!) and a little blacklining to define separation between armor around the left shoulder.

Spoiler

large.Assassin29.jpg.be1c225b718e2ebf27c
large.Assassin30.jpg.4b1f8c0379a08de9d1d
large.Assassin31.jpg.335f97be5a617418b2e

Edited by Majkhel