Bit of speculation about the Primaris Librarian

Okay, so, I was looking at the Primaris Librarian as a potential source for a good helmet for Mephiston. Then I noticed the URL.

epistolary_1.png

Epistolary. Hm. I thought maybe that means GeeDubs is or was planning on releasing other ranks of Primaris Librarian. Personally, I'd actually love to see Primaris Codiciers and Lexicana, as cheaper psyker options - or maybe, in the case of the Lexicana, an attachment to a squad, like the Helix Adept. Thoughts?

There has been models for different levels of Librarian before, even rules, but though I wouldn't be surprised I'm also not reading into this too much. If I recall correctly the skull with curled horns is the symbol for the rank of epistolary and that model is bedecked with them.

My Librarius would welcome individual representation on the table, if it did happen I'd be making up some new models for sure.

Edited by NTaW

Ranks under epistolaries, if I remember right, don't even wear Psychic Hoods or have force weapons, and are not normally involved in combat.

I haven't heard that before. I remember there were specific models for the various ranks once upon a time.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/618365-3rd%20ed%20librarian%20schemes.html

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GIcQANxZxKo/UygXJxjIAKI/AAAAAAAABHU/xFJtt15VXyg/s1600/codex+-+ultramarines+(2nd+edition)-librarians.jpg

This is reaching back pretty far in the lore though, so things may have changed.

I'd like to add that there actually is a modeled Codicier - he's that Deathwatch guy from the Blood Ravens.

Edit: I've learned today that I REALLY like the old Librarian models from back during 2e, especially the Codicier. By the way, here's the lad himself:

01-01.jpg

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Ranks under epistolaries, if I remember right, don't even wear Psychic Hoods or have force weapons, and are not normally involved in combat.

That’s not right. Epistolary is a senior rank just one under chief librarian. Codicier is the mid rank with Lexicanum being junior. Both codidciers and lexicanii are full marines who take to the battlefield. Acolytum are the Librarians in training who don’t take to the battlefield until they reach lexicanum rank.

Some of the older specific lexicanum models had smaller psychic hoods and less decorative armour compared to the codicier and epistolary specific models, could be that you are thinking of.

The only way there will be rules for ranked Librarians would be in the shadow of a Psychic phase expansion, as right now within the rules there is very little wiggle room between standard Librarians and Chief Librarian rules.

The current Librarians are Epistolaries; the lower ranks would be cheaper, less known, less casts, less denies. Maybe Codicier gets know one, cast two, deny one and the Lexicanum gets know one, cast one, deny one as well as being a squad attachment?

I think that at the moment, rules wise a librarian is a librarian is a librarian. Fluff wise, and model wise there is a distinction between the ranks. I believe the librarians rank is determined by markings on his loin cloth. I love that deathwatch librarian, and with a left arm swap and a librarius shoulder pad on his sword arm and BA shoulder pad will make a fine addition to a BA army, ooh the creative juices are flowing now.

Again, it's no more of a sign than the fact that the URL for the Death Guard Tallyman is https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Death-Guard-Scribbus-Wretch-2017

If they haven't made Scribbus Wretch a special character yet, there's almost no chance they're giving a hidden hint in the Librarian.

The thing is... that doesn't really hold up. He's actually kind of called Scribbus Wretch, as far as the box and page are concerned. The Primaris Librarian is, as of right now, just a Primaris Librarian according to everything but the URL.

Besides, it's fun to speculate. ^^

Again, it's no more of a sign than the fact that the URL for the Death Guard Tallyman is https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Death-Guard-Scribbus-Wretch-2017

If they haven't made Scribbus Wretch a special character yet, there's almost no chance they're giving a hidden hint in the Librarian.

The thing is... that doesn't really hold up. He's actually kind of called Scribbus Wretch, as far as the box and page are concerned. The Primaris Librarian is, as of right now, just a Primaris Librarian according to everything but the URL.

Besides, it's fun to speculate. ^^

My point is that it hasn't carried over into rules in any way, so I'm not expecting it to in the case of the Librarian either. It's purely a name thing.

Once upon a time it was Lexicanium (the first rank librarians) that didn't have hoods and I think it was an actual model in one of the earlier editions