Night Lord Terror Assault 2500

Aztek

My Night Lord list I'm building. The Terminators are kinda proxy for Atramentar if we get those for Thramas, but if we don't then they're just Terminators. Thank you!

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [205pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement

Praevian [300pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades
. Consul
. . Praevian
. . . Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple
. . . . Legion Inductees
. . . . . Praevian's Legiones Astartes: Night Lords
. . . . Vorax Class Battle-automata: Lightning Gun
. . . . Vorax Class Battle-automata: Irad-cleanser

Sevatar [175pts]

+ Elites +

Terminator Squad, Legion [400pts]: Teleportation Transponder
. Cataphractii Pattern Terminator Armour
. Terminator Sergeant, Legion: Chainfist, Combi-Bolter
. Terminators, Legion: Chainfist, Combi-Bolter

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion [145pts]: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Bolter, 4x Chainswords/Combat Blades, 4x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers
. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion
. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

+ Troops +

Terror Squad [180pts]: 4x Executioner, 5x Volkite Charger
. Headsman: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Terror Squad [280pts]: 9x Executioner, 10x Volkite Charger

+ Fast Attack +

Night Raptor Squad [305pts]: 7x Night Raptor, 7x Nostraman Chainglaive
. Huntmaster: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Nostraman Chainglaive

+ Heavy Support +

Fire Raptor Gunship, Legion [230pts]
. Four wing-mounted:: Hellstrike Missiles
. Two Independent Ball Turret-mounted:: Reaper Autocannon Battery

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:    VIII: Night Lords, Traitor

Rite of War: Terror Assault

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules On

++ Total: [2,500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Ave Dominus Nox brother. It's been too long since I've seen our Legion in here. I start off with saying that this is a really cool and fluffy list. However, if you want it to be more competetive, I'd advise the following:

- I also wouldn't mind getting Atramentars but we have to deal with what we have now. While chainfists are a necessity, i think you went overboard with them. I'd say drop half of them and either take fists, axes or swords. They are cheaper and some guys are bound to die before they even see combat - no points in giving the red shirts pricy chainfists. It's also good to consider Talent for Murder when equiping the squad - for example, Power Axe and Fist are indentical against marines if it triggers (albeit fist would ID T4). On the other hand giving a few members weapon that strikes on initiative, so sword or chainglaive, may help with outnumbering the enemy at I1 step, unless you're fighting 2+ armour unit of course.

- Raptors are in a pretty bad spot now. They are very expensive and neither reliable nor effective. If you insist on taking them, these chainglaives must go. They have 1 (one!) attack base, and glaive won't provide any additional attacks cause it's 2-handed. And it costs the absurd 10 points. Anyway, I believe you're better off with an Assault squad. For 3 points more you're looking at 16 marines with 4 axes. They are twice as durable, have same amount of attacks on charge ( average is 3 for your raptors), and as a Night Lord, it's really important to outnumber the enemy - it's easier with 16 bodies than with 8.

- As with most Terror Assault lists, you will struggle with vehicles. Not much to do with it though - that 1 Heavy support really hurts, however there are some good tank hunters in other slots.

- These Veterans seems off. They are rather useless now, especially with Machine Killers. They are a great unit but needs to be defined a bit. Want a small but surprisingly deadly unit? Take Weapon Masters and 2 power weapons. If you go with Machine killers at least give them melta gun and a few combis. If you don't have any particular reason for taking this squad, I'd invest the points elsewhere. A few Attack Bikes can really help with dealing with vehicles. Javelins are also quite effective. Even 2 stray Tarantulas can chip off some hull points. Lastly the new Sabre Tank can provide much needed heavy firepower.

For me Praevian and Fire Raptor are both excellent choices for this RoW that I've used myself. Especially the Raptor, who was usually my MVP of the game.

- Too many points spend in HQ's IMHO.

- Which leads us to Sevatar: He has no place in this list, really, since you already got a (arguably better) Praetor. He can't infiltrate with the Terror Squads, so where is he going to deploy ? With the weird Vet Tac unit ? Nah, if you want to increase precision on Deep Striking your Terminators, I'd recommend a Damocles (which allows you to manipulate reverses as well, also benefiting your Fire Raptor).

- Your Praevian wants a Chainglaive or a Combi-Weapon.

- The Vet Tacs serve no purpose. Ditch them (together with Sevatar, as mentioned above).

- I'd recommend on adjusting the size of the Terror Squads, like maybe 3 units of 8 or 9 each. 

- Agree with Lautrec on the Terminators: Drop a couple Chain Fists for more points and to benefit (potentially) from your Legion rules.

- I partially disagree on the Raptors though. They don't have a measly single attack ... they get 'Onslaught' which is huge. Chainglaives are a iffy choice on them though, drop those, get a couple Lightning Claws (or Power Axes, your choice) and leave the greater part of the unit with just their Bolt Pistols & Chainswords, since some models are going to die anyways before they get to fight. The only squad member who actually wants a Chainglaive is the Huntmaster, for potential Rending / AP 2 (at Initiative) in a challenge.

I'd also recommend on getting an Apothecary for this expensive unit.

- In regards to your Fire Raptor, a Damocles would come in handy here as well (also, one can always put a smallish sneaky scoring unit in it on top of all the bonuses it provides).

I agree on that whole double praetor thing going on. Picking one would likely be a more reasonable approach. While the unnamed one seems more reliable, he is also more expensive and doesn't help the army as much as Sev - for me Master of Ambush is as good a trait as it gets, and Terminators at least have a safe deep strike. But he is a wild card. One game he stomps enemy praetor and most of his retinue, next game he gets stuck with a basic sergeant and kill himself with Perils of the Warp. You should define what you want your warlord to do and pick accordingly.

For me the biggest problem with Raptors is their unreliability. Onslaught is IMO worse Rage as it can make your charge utterly devastating or severly underwhelming. But they are far from worthless as long as you keep them fairly cheap and just toss a few power weapons in.

Ave Dominus Brothers.

Alright so yes, Sevatar and the vet squad would be deploying together in the Rhino. I can drop them, which gives me a decent amount of points. I spent some of it topping off the last Terror Squad to 10 members for all 3 of them.  Bumped up the Raptors to 10 total. Also gave the Praevian a Combi-Melta I'm keeping the Terminators and the Chainglaives though just because it's what I have modeled. So now I have 150 points left to spend, what should these go into? Here's how the list looks now.

A Damocles pattern Command Rhino perhaps?

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,350pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [205pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement

Praevian [310pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot
. Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun
. Consul
. . Praevian
. . . Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple
. . . . Legion Inductees
. . . . . Praevian's Legiones Astartes: Night Lords
. . . . Vorax Class Battle-automata: Irad-cleanser

+ Elites +

Terminator Squad, Legion [400pts]: Teleportation Transponder

+ Troops +

+ Fast Attack +

Night Raptor Squad [365pts]: 9x Night Raptor, 9x Nostraman Chainglaive

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

+ Use Playtest Rules +

++ Total: [2,350pts] ++

Edited by Aztek

Alright some big changes. Let me know what you guys think. I think this is my final list.

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praevian [375pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot
. Consul
. . Praevian
. . . Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple: Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Support Unit
. . . . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Stock Chargers
. . . . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Stock Chargers
. . . . Legion Inductees
. . . . . Praevian's Legiones Astartes

+ Elites +

Apothecarion Detachment [70pts]
. Apothecary, Legion: Jump Pack, Nostraman Chainglaive, Power Armour

Terminator Squad, Legion [225pts]

+ Troops +

Terror Squad [275pts]: 9x Executioner, 10x Volkite Charger
. Headsman: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Nostraman Chainglaive

+ Fast Attack +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod [115pts]: Frag Assault Launchers

Night Raptor Squad [455pts]: 12x Night Raptor, 12x Nostraman Chainglaive

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

+ Use Playtest Rules +

++ Total: [2,500pts] ++

The list looks good so far, here's my suggestions/feedback - listen to as much or as little as you fancy, they're just suggestions.

I like it, I'm a man who loves Castellax, and think they're great but try and give them Siege Wreckers. They'll be eternaly grateful when you get them into combat with any kind of Dreadnought.

The terminators in a dreadclaw are a superb shout; nicely done!

I'm gonna be a wierd one and say that Sevatar isn't a bad choice, him giving D3 infantry units infiltrate can be really handy, just make sure he has a good unit to ride along with and he'll do well. Either him or a choppy praetor is a good shout though.

If the Terror squads are footslogging they're gonna have a bad time - get them rhinos with no upgrades. 105pts for 3 rhinos is worth it if it gets them across the table. Otherwise that Whirlwind Scorpius you'll inevitably face will give you a cheeky little wink and delete a unit a turn, so watch out for that!

Rest of the list looks solid, love the Raptors (both of the varieties).

Ave Dominus Nox!