Why plasma? (And other wargear woes)

jimbo1701

Not so much regarding why to take plasma, more why it appears in the army at all. Plasma pistols and combi plasmas are canoness and squad leader upgrades, and yet the background very explicitly refers to the holy trinity of sororitas ranged weaponry being bolt, melta and flame. While it does have an in game niche it just strikes me as a bit out of place, as besides hkm/exorcist launchers all other ranged weapons in the book are holy trinity.

Taking this a step further, the infantry sprues released so far both have combi plasma options and plasma pistol options, yet neither have the option for a hand flamer nor inferno pistol. Wouldn’t that sprue space have been better served with these? Obviously seraphim will come with these options, though everyone will be wanting to equip their seraphim squads with melta loadout. It’s also not impossible that the kit will only come with a single pair of each, a la the reaper chaincannon making them even harder to get for those infantry squads.

Thoughts?

The original models had plasma pistols /combi plasma & its something that has carried on.

Supprisingly not one of my metal girls has been invalidated with the new codex /model line (except the plastic /hybrid tanks!... Immolators & Exorcists needing a Hull Heavy Bolters... :()

Lore wise they have a few relic plasma weapons for dealing with power armoured foes like heritic marines - remember their first appearance?  The destruction of the rainbow warriors :p

...I still have some combigrenade launcher girls, and had a vague hope of that finally being usable.

These are my favourite models.  That combigrenade launcher is just ambiguous enough to work as a combimelta.

My canoness with combi flamer is legends now.

Is this the icon bearing cannoness with combiflamer?  She's my go to Sister Superior now that stormbolter superiors are legends...

I don't mind the plasma options, adhering to the holy trinity too literally would be a bit meh. But admittedly not having the hand flamers and inferno pistols at all in the BSS/Retri boxes is a bit strange. The one way to have leftovers from the jumpy box once it lands is of course if you build them as Zephyrim. Though personally I suppose I'll look at if they are reasonably magnetizable.

I mean if you've read the books, Sister Myria (Pretty sure I spelled that wrong) uses a plasma pistol, shes a Sister Superior. So its canon that they use Plasma as well.

Edit: Just remembered I think shes a Celestian or a Seraphim, it's been a while since I read it.

Edited by WolfVonhinslik

...I still have some combigrenade launcher girls, and had a vague hope of that finally being usable.

...oh good point!

Shes not had that for a while to the point I've got that used to running her (I only have the one) as a combi flamer I forget that its actually a grenade launcher ....oops!