Aeronautica Imperialis: Taros

Not sure with NewCrons and 9th Ed Coming that I can afford the box... might just get the T’au flyers just to paint up for now...

but those Valks look very awesome !.?!?..

Mithril

:yes:

I'll give him a kiss from my Vendetta lascannons :D

New pics make them look even better! Ugh my wallet because I think I need some of those dice too...

You do need the dice :p

I got some of the imperial dice from the original release, The AI dice are some of the better dice GW sells IMO.

Decent size, easy to read, only have a symbol on one side and feel nicer to roll than some of the faction dice.

The drawback with these dice is there only being 8 in a box. You will want 2 boxes as the marauder destroyer and tiger shark can both put out 9 firepower.

:yes:

I'll give him a kiss from my Vendetta lascannons :D

New pics make them look even better! Ugh my wallet because I think I need some of those dice too...

You do need the dice :p

I got some of the imperial dice from the original release, The AI dice are some of the better dice GW sells IMO.

Decent size, easy to read, only have a symbol on one side and feel nicer to roll than some of the faction dice.

The drawback with these dice is there only being 8 in a box. You will want 2 boxes as the marauder destroyer and tiger shark can both put out 9 firepower.

And you don’t think GW thought about that ;-) ... they know us gamers a little too well... “this will make them want 2x the amount of cool dice than they think they need....

you win this round GW...

Mithril

And you don’t think GW thought about that ;-) ... they know us gamers a little too well... “this will make them want 2x the amount of cool dice than they think they need....

you win this round GW...

Oddly, I'm not that enamoured with GW dice generally, although the Ork and Imperial Navy Aeronautica dice have been the best ones I've seen, I think (although I did also like the squig dice, mainly because they were hilarious and completely impractical - everything a squig should be! :lol:).  I've generally gone the Chessex route, as they are pretty, not too expensive, and you get lots of them. :)

:wub:

Are both the Valk and Vulture resin or just the latter

I'm still confused how they fit in the game as they aren't fighters, but that's probably because I'm yet to play the game... Still... :ermm:

Are both the Valk and Vulture resin or just the latter

Valkyrie/Vendettas are plastic, 4 to a box, pre-order on Saturday. :smile.:

I'm still confused how they fit in the game as they aren't fighters, but that's probably because I'm yet to play the game... Still... :ermm:

I'm guessing they ran out of classes with the existing ones, and didn't want to add more.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

I didn't realize the this box was a different faction than the Imperial Navy. I had lumped them all together... but it sounds like you can field Imperial Navy planes alongside the Guard?

I would assume so, as the box contains Lightnings, which are Navy. :)

Is it just me or is the Tau bomber two separate boxes for the two variants? It’s just a gun muzzle that’s different, right? They look structurally the same.

Nah I think there's more to it than that, though I agree they do look superficially very similar.

The marauders and big ork bommers already share sprues on what are fundamentally the same plane. They made the same choice there, to package them separately instead of giving you both options in one box. 

I didn't realize the this box was a different faction than the Imperial Navy. I had lumped them all together... but it sounds like you can field Imperial Navy planes alongside the Guard?

It said it in the article, but technically Valks, Vends, and Vults are all Imperial Navy assets...just deployed so often with the Guard that they more or less give leeway to make Astra Militarum a faction in a plane game. It seems like they'll be a subfaction of the Aeronautica Imperialis.

Competitive miniatures games dont really suit my playgroup, but everytime I see a release for Aeronatucia I get more interested. I just need a Chaos Faction and I am in.

Is it just me or is the Tau bomber two separate boxes for the two variants? It’s just a gun muzzle that’s different, right? They look structurally the same.

There’s not a lot different between the two Marauder variants but they’re two kits. There’s three weapon options for one variant and two bigger weapon options for the other, so my guess would be different weapon sprues for each kit. 

It said it in the article, but technically Valks, Vends, and Vults are all Imperial Navy assets...just deployed so often with the Guard that they more or less give leeway to make Astra Militarum a faction in a plane game. It seems like they'll be a subfaction of the Aeronautica Imperialis.

Competitive miniatures games dont really suit my playgroup, but everytime I see a release for Aeronatucia I get more interested. I just need a Chaos Faction and I am in.

It's kind of weird they went for this approach, and it's caused a bit of confusion. I'm sure these models are just part of the existing navy faction, as they actually are part of the navy. This just seems like a slightly questionable bit of writing by the WHC team. It'll be cleared up soon anyway.

Does anyone know if Valkyries were already present at the time of the Horus Heresy? I didn't found any info about that yet.

I just finished Legion and towards the end they load up on drop ships to to descent to a planet's surface. I can't recall if they were called out as Valkyries though.

Nah I think there's more to it than that, though I agree they do look superficially very similar.

The marauders and big ork bommers already share sprues on what are fundamentally the same plane. They made the same choice there, to package them separately instead of giving you both options in one box. 

Thou art correct, I forgot about Marauders.  

That article - living in low/zero G makes you better at tolerating high G manoeuvres?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think that's how biology works from the effects of muscle atrophy reported in astronauts.

I'm pretty comfortable asserting that this goes under the heading of "never think too hard about 40k biology".

I can imagine some gene-modification/physiological changes that would benefit a "pilot caste", those spindly limbs might work to combat blood pooling in the extremities for example. But nothing inherent to living in free-fall seems likely to produce those advantages 'naturally'. (Not to mention evolution not really working that way. A couple thousand years isn't long enough for that sort of change to really take hold, without outside help.)

About the new releases:

Taros Air Campaign Book

This beautiful 96-page hardback campaign book includes the following (plus loads more):

- A matt-finish cover with gloss spot finish highlights, plus a ribbon bookmark in drab green.
- The full Aeronautica Imperialis game rules, including how to build your force using Squadron Lists, perform Ace Manoeuvres, field different classes of aircraft and unleash ground defences. Learn how to manoeuvre your aircraft, adjust their altitude and change speed while avoiding the risks of crashing and breaking up (if you exceed your maximum speed). There are even rules for special manoeuvres including landing, taxiing, and taking-off.
- In-depth background on the war to retake Taros from established T’au Empire armies, in particular the air war and daring low-altitude skirmishes.
- New rules for Flying at Low Altitude, Terrain Height, Collisions, Rolling Areas of Engagement, and Falling Behind.
- Five scenarios, including The Dogfight, The Chase, Subterranean Assault, Sky-Fortress Attack and Canyon Attack Run.
- Rules for campaign play, including how to replace destroyed aircraft and level up your pilots as they gain experience.

- Squadron Lists, providing details of the following aircraft, including their weapon options and special rules: Avenger Strike Fighter, Lightning Strike Fighter, Imperial Arvus Lighter, Valkyrie Assault Carrier, Vulture Gunship, Barracuda, Tiger Shark and Remora Drone.

- Rules for ground assets such as the Hydra Flak Battery, Basilisk Anti-Aircraft Emplacement, KV 126 Skyfire Platform and KV 129 Stormfury Platform.

- Rules for the following legendary ace pilots: Flight Commander Megana Ayce, Flight Lieutenant Dyce Vander, Kor’la Kae O’ar and Kor’la Dor’n O’ka – each including a profile of their aircraft and special rules.
- Example colour schemes of Imperial Navy, Astra Militarum and T’au Air Caste aircraft.
- A reference page showing the eight different manoeuvres aircraft can take, as well as a 2-page quick reference containing the key game rules.

So new ground assets to come in the future!

Oh and about those Lightnings:

This kit allows you to build both Lightning Strike Fighters, packing twin multi-lasers, and Lightning Fighters, armed with deadly twin lascannons.

Lightning Strike Fighters are best suited for dealing with swarms of light aircraft, while Lighting Fighters are ideal for tailing ponderous bombers and heavy fighters. Both of them operate best in squadrons... The kit also includes a selection of hellstrike missiles and skystrike missiles with which to upgrade your miniatures.

Edited to be read easier

Edited by gilt_imp

Thanks gilt_imp - the Taros rulebook looks like it adds some useful content over Rynn's World, then (so not just Tau stuff).  Although, Basilisk AA guns..?

GW's product page for the Imperial Navy cards has the rules of the Lightning on it ... the base plane is more expensive than a Thunderbolt Fury (it has fewer structure points, but more throttle and manoeuvres, and is faster).  It also looks like Valkyries have quite a large transport capacity ...