Back to Badab: A Badab War Community Log - Kill Team Edition

Dosjetka

Very nice work guys, this is shaping up into a really interesting thread. :thumbsup:

Now my first contribution...

These shots are really rubbish but I have sat here nashing my teeth, desperate to get involved in this and show what I have so far! :biggrin.:

I've misplaced my kill team rulebook so am winging it for now. The basis of my guys is that I am using the death watch shoulder pad for the Griffons but the problem here lies in that it is designed for the right arm as in space marine heraldry all animal icons face forward. Had I used this on the traditional left shoulder then it would be wrong as it would face back. So the simpliest solution to this problem is that I go old school MK6 on the shoulders, so icon on the right studded pad on the right for a rogue trader feel I like very much.

To top this off I dug out some really old parts from Rogue Trader,  specifically the original RTB01 marines of which some parts are probably older than some members of this board which is a scarey thought.

P1000825

P1000822

I'm a bit undecided at the moment what direction I should go with for the colour scheme, I originally wanted to do the Sigmar VI camo but kind of like the night camo idea now that i have started to block out one shoulder. The bare head guy I think will be the sergeant but I will be slapping on as many chainblades as I have. Still early days but so far I am enjoying these.

Rather than mess about cutting and filing the primaris greeves I've just not put the knee pad and front lower greeve on and simply sculpted the front instead to make Mk 6 and Mk 7 variants. I was tempted to use bolt rifles so i could use them later as primaris but opted for the Reiver bolt carbines for bolters as the arms are basically Mk 7 just a bit better scaled.

If I can I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow.

Very nice work guys, this is shaping up into a really interesting thread. :thumbsup:

Now my first contribution...

These shots are really rubbish but I have sat here nashing my teeth, desperate to get involved in this and show what I have so far! :biggrin.:

I've misplaced my kill team rulebook so am winging it for now. The basis of my guys is that I am using the death watch shoulder pad for the Griffons but the problem here lies in that it is designed for the right arm as in space marine heraldry all animal icons face forward. Had I used this on the traditional left shoulder then it would be wrong as it would face back. So the simpliest solution to this problem is that I go old school MK6 on the shoulders, so icon on the right studded pad on the right for a rogue trader feel I like very much.

To top this off I dug out some really old parts from Rogue Trader,  specifically the original RTB01 marines of which some parts are probably older than some members of this board which is a scarey thought.

I'm a bit undecided at the moment what direction I should go with for the colour scheme, I originally wanted to do the Sigmar VI camo but kind of like the night camo idea now that i have started to block out one shoulder. The bare head guy I think will be the sergeant but I will be slapping on as many chainblades as I have. Still early days but so far I am enjoying these.

Rather than mess about cutting and filing the primaris greeves I've just not put the knee pad and front lower greeve on and simply sculpted the front instead to make Mk 6 and Mk 7 variants. I was tempted to use bolt rifles so i could use them later as primaris but opted for the Reiver bolt carbines for bolters as the arms are basically Mk 7 just a bit better scaled.

If I can I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow.

A question- why not splice the front part of minimarine legs onto the shins after clipping off the feet?

If you want, Doghouse, p mail me and I'll help you work out a legal 100 point killteam list.

Nice one thanks mate, if I get stuck I'll drop you a Pm. :)

A question- why not splice the front part of minimarine legs onto the shins after clipping off the feet?

It might be possible but I've not really looked into whether the parts would allign or be scaled correctly. For me personally it's easy to sculpt them but most just cut the top rim off the knee pads which works just as well. I'll take a look, the DW lower legs may work?

Doghouse; awesome use of the old school parts; maybe use/convert one of the powerfists from that era too! Those RTB1 chainsaw bayonets and extra mags bring back fond memories! Born 1979 and almost 29 years since I was swallowed into the 40K universe too! You’re not old at all! Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

Thanks mate :)

Yeah it had to be done, I know there is the newer excellent forgeworld re-telling of the Badab wars but I am 100% Rogue Trader all the way when it comes to the Badab conflict. The chainblades and little bits do the same for me and it brings back really fond memories of boxes of 36 marines and kit bashing vehicles from model kits. And in all fairness some of these little parts have really stood the test of time in terms of design. I might have to have a bash at making a powerfist one at some point but he'd have to be in the style of the original bionic eyed, bolt pistol weilding RTB01 captain models of the time. :)

Elements of Sternguard Squad Gurion, led by Veteran Sgt. Gurion, the ‘pathfinders’ assigned to the forces led by Thulsa Kane in operations during the Badab War:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/0FAA1256-C0E1-4B0C-8F28-9F6C1C651C08_zpspmnggr8p.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/761890EF-21FC-4430-AA81-9C2B0433C50C_zps3nhjwtp9.png

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/0749CA02-CD16-4A41-8F14-821BAE2B8409_zpswyystr7h.png

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/19D3D855-E268-4F64-BC74-C4532A375F20_zpsnmbwbsyy.png

Individual shots:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/27FF8195-F31E-448A-A860-910B9773E41B_zps4cdkaifg.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/AFBA6DEF-CC0A-4DAE-A199-D82AE640A014_zpsiefobdjq.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21/Joseph1865/74DBAF94-02E8-4A13-A9D6-157560700A14_zps3oc0andu.jpg

Finished my first 3 members of the crew of the pirate ship The Emperor's Bounty.

The Emperor's Bounty's raiding team is lead by its Purser.  These 3 are all members of the Purser's "inside crew". 

lkgXkln.jpg

From left to right.  As is typical for pirates of that area and era, they go by their "nom-de-guerre" or nickname.

"Scurvy".  Scurvy got his nickname when he lost his hair to radiation poisoning but was told "not to worry about it" by his midshipman as "it was only scurvy".  One of Scurvy's biggest regrets is not getting the opportunity of killing that midshipman when the crew mutinied. Usually placed as the Purser's eye on the "outside crew", Scurvy takes it as a sign that he is trusted by the Purser and is up for a promotion.  The reality is that the Purser considers him to be expendable.

"Saint".  Saint got his name because his devotion to a religious creed similar to that practiced by house Cawdor on Necromunda, one that dictates that he not reveal his face in public and therefore wear his ever-present red Cawdor-esque mask.  He somehow reconciles his faith and his life of piracy.  Another contradiction is that he and the psychic Purser have some sort of understanding and watch each other's back's, making him one of the Purser's most trusted body guards.

"Brass,"  Named for the brass buttons of his stolen midshipman's coat, Brass earned his place on Purser's inside crew (and Scurvy's ire) when he killed his coat's original owner during the mutiny.  Brass is deathly afraid of displeasing the Purser, having seen first hand what occurs to those who have, which in turn has earned Brass along with Saint as one of the Purser's body guards.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Okay, here’s what I have so far... apologies for the potato group pic and extracts from the same:

xdx6yBs.jpg

- - -

VsheLcn.jpg

- [x] Beturián Castellblanc - 4th Company Heavy, soon to be promoted to the Sternguard. A Man of few words, he prefers instead to let his mighty plasma cannon do the talking!

G1kahR5.jpg

- [x] Otabio Labauve - Vanguard Veteran, a contemporary of Anton Narvaez who joined in the same cohort. Once he matched Captain Narvaez’ record of 130 consecutive bullseyes at the firing range. Carries the storm shield, “Montpelliac Defiance”

3CwKw3w.jpg

- [x] Zéphirin Cerdán - 4th Company Champion and proud wearer of camoflage armor which he now refuses to exchange for the standard armor. Noted for his swordplay, he is often found whittling caricatures of his peers between battles, before sharpening his blade back to a razor-sharp keenness.

mUFNUNd.jpg

- [x] Yannick Thibault - Veteran Sergeant, known to young recruits as “T-Bone” for his strength in melee, “like getting knocked down by a bull.” He is shown here with his master-crafted boltgun, “Renown”

EDIT- just to say these are not finished but I was keen to post an update...

Edited by Zebulon

Just posting a small update on my Star Phantoms. I've been working on a prototype Tac squad. Here's the Veteran Sergeant:

SP-Sgt-v1.jpg

The whites are almost done, just need edge highlighting and battle damage/wear & tear. C&C welcome.

So much empty makes me sad.

Let's keep up the progress posts.

I've not been able to get anything done as my car on axle stands in garage is blocking access to my resin box.

That said, I've got a really cool idea for a conversion, though I'll keep it as a surprise for you guys until I can do a reveal.

Cheers

LM

I've made some progress on my guys, come down with the flu at the moment but I'll have some pictures soon. I'm going for a rag tag look for my guys as survivors of the attack by the Executioners.

I'm sure the others will be updating soon as well. :smile.:

Edited by Doghouse

I posted this in my personal thread, but only got one response. Hoping for more input here.

I'm hoping to get some input from the community at large. I have my own ideas and opinions, but it's always fun to hear other people's ideas.

Right now, I'm working on some fiction for my Phantoms and a good portion of it revolves around their "Chapter Mortuary Cult Imperialis".

For those who might not be too familiar with Imperial Armo(u)r vol. 10, here's some excerpts. All text I'm quoting is copyright 2010 from Games Workshop / Forge World. My quotes won't be in the order that they appear in the book, but they make more logical sense to me in this order.

The Star Phantoms’ initial deployment as a Chapter was to the shrine world of Haakoneth on the edge of the ravaged Sakkara sector where they fortified one of the planet’s mountainous mausoleum-complexes to become their base of operations. From this bastion they sallied forth against the numerous foul xenoforms that plagued the region. The Star Phantoms’ neophyte-recruits were drawn from the technologically regressive barbaric remnant-populations of the surrounding systems, and their first tasks were to guard against the numerous horrors that plagued the fallen seat of the Imperium’s power. Since this time, the entire Sakkara sector has been lost to the outer void for more than a millennium, but these dark beginnings appear to have left an indelible mark on the soul of the Chapter that has remained to the present.

The Star Phantoms Chapter is one with a shrouded and sometimes troubled history. Their victories, though they have been many, have largely remained unsung and unremembered. For much of their past they have been left to operate alone at the edge of the Imperium breeding in them an isolationist and fiercely independent streak that has seldom embraced outside command. These vicissitudes of fate have led to the Star Phantoms clashing with Imperial authorities and fellow Adeptus Astartes on numerous occasions, and they have gained a shadowed reputation for themselves with other Imperial commanders. Matters concerning the Chapter’s relations with their fellow Space Marines have been further worsened by suspicions caused by the Star Phantoms’ secretive operations, seemingly unnatural obsession with death and strange mortuary traditions. These factors have been the cause of dark suspicions of them in the past, although full Inquisitorial investigation of the Star Phantoms after their role in the wars of the Macharian Heresy exonerated the Chapter. The Inquisition uncovered no overt heresy of thought, spirit or biology, although the Holy Ordos did note with concern the depth and complexity of the Chapter’s unique funerary cult beliefs.

Addendum: Chapter Mortuary Cult Imperialis
The existence of indigenous and often unique cult belief systems, martial philosophies and variations on the Cult Imperialis within the Adeptus Astartes is far from uncommon. They range from fairly minor ritualized Chapter traditions such as are found in many Ultramarines successors to the entirely individualistic culture of a highly unorthodox Chapter such as the Space Wolves. The so-called Mortuary Cult of the Star Phantoms is one of this more extreme variety and embraces the divinity of the God Emperor of Mankind as "Imperator Mortfiex" – Judge of the souls of the dead and keeper of martyrs. Accordingly, the brethren of the Chapter see themselves as divinely ordained killers: Angels of Death in the truest sense. Grim solemnity accompanies their proceedings at all times, and they care little for the individual glory of the warrior but are instead consumed by the task of bringing death those that defy the Emperor's will or seek to thwart his holy purpose. True to Imperial dogma, they hold as a central tenet of their beliefs "That only in death does duty end", and while they give little leeway or respite to the living, they deeply honor those who fall in the Emperor's service and hold the many martyrs of the Imperium and the dead of their Chapter with extreme reverence. As a part of their practices the Star Phantoms have been observed to hold many strange and elaborate funerary customs, and it is commonplace for battle brethren of the Chapter to maintain a personal reliquary containing votive items such as the ashes of fallen comrades as a talisman, and are also apt to use the ground dust of their enemies' bones compounded as lapping powder for their armor. The keepers and high priests of these cult practices are the Star Phantoms Chaplains. Each company and detachment has its own attached Mortuary Chaplain to administer its rites, with a separate chantry of four Reclusiarchs and a Master of Sanctity maintained as a key part of the Chapter's command structure.

So, my question to you is this: what do you think the Star Phantoms "strange and elaborate funerary customs" would entail? They're enough even to raise the concern of the Holy Ordos, so they probably involve a bit more than just burying a dead Space Marine or putting him on a funeral pyre. I have my own concept, but I want to hear what you think. Thanks!

So, my question to you is this: what do you think the Star Phantoms "strange and elaborate funerary customs" would entail? They're enough even to raise the concern of the Holy Ordos, so they probably involve a bit more than just burying a dead Space Marine or putting him on a funeral pyre. I have my own concept, but I want to hear what you think. Thanks!

Necrophilia?

Just kidding :-)

Whatever it is they do, it's not that bad as they got a passing grade from the inquisition.

Obvious things could be mutilation of the body, so they can get items for reliquaries although it sounds like they burn their dead anyway. Possibly consuming dead flesh, their Omophagea allowing them to relive the death of their fallen.

I think a good one would be something like:

They revere their dead and don't countenance touching or desecrating the body before burning it. As a result they don't reclaim  the gene seed, or leave the body too long and the gene seed deteriorates. Hence the concern of the Inquisition as they know this will impact the chapter's ability to recover from significant casualties.

Just a heads up to any interested parties, there is an individual selling ten of these Mantis Warrior shoulder pads for £5. If you can't be bothered with freehand, they may be worth a look.

3pILzTgl.jpg

I've done a quick review on my thread.

Dallo