Back to Badab: A Badab War Community Log - Kill Team Edition

Dosjetka

Pretty much finished building my Executioners Sternguard. Here are the last two models:

gallery_917_10296_560861.jpg

gallery_917_10296_500794.jpg

Also swapped the bolter on the Mark 3 veteran:

gallery_917_10296_716741.jpg

And here's the full 5 man combat squad:

gallery_917_10296_239693.jpg

Still need to add some sand/rubble to the bases, and I might think about adding a few more details or possibly trophy racks to the backpacks. Then I just need a dry, calm day (weather-wise) to get them primed (being in the UK, that might take a while

Edited by Spaced Hulk

Captain Pallas Eucleia - Captain of the First Company Star Phantoms

"Onward Brothers, to death and glory!"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/924/7uWFh7.jpg

According to Imperial records kept in the Star Phantoms Vaults, Captain Pallas Eucleia was recruited as a neophyte from the planet Belis Corona around 622M41. Star Phantoms Strike Cruiser 'Heart of Haakoneth' had docked for reapair, after a short campaign against a Heritic Astartes warband in a neighbouring system, and took on many new recruits.

Eucleia excelled as a scout, and his squad was deployed along side the 4th Company in the Scarus Sector. After suffering heavy losses to an Ork raiding party, surviving members of Eucleias squad were placed within the 4th company, with Eucleia becoming a marine in 3rd squad, 'Silent Mortis'.

Eucleia quickly found a fondness for Melta weaponry, and carried a Melta, right up to and including his time as company captain of the 3rd Company. After the previous captain of the 1st company fell in battle, its was Eucleias honour to be offered the position.

The Cataphracii armour worn by Eucleia  is said to date back to The Great Crusade, although, along with many artefacts in the Star Phantoms armoury, it's chapter of origin remains a mystery.

I got my bits I needed today and have the first four guys on the go, I'll post pictures asap. I may go with the Sigmar VI Insurgency colour scheme not sure yet.

Think it's an unspoken rule that you have to use the alternate camo schemes.

That goes for everyone, take a look, there are some really good schemes:

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marines_Camouflage_Schemes

Edited by Mr Yellow

Long overdue update and reply post. :sweat:

Mr. Yellow: I'm very much liking what you've done so far with your Naval forces. I especially like the Solar Auxilia Armsman with the Scion arms: they fit together great. The lore tidbits are also enjoyable. Ba:tu: I'm curious to know whether your Navy forces are aligned with the Loyalists or Secessionists though.

Spaced Hulk: Fantastic work on your Sternguard! Each model has its own distinctive feel while keeping within the general aesthetics of the Executioners. Keen to see more! Oh, and with regards to the assault variant of the bolt rifle, you could definitely frame it as a light support weapon, like the FN Minimi SAW that is used in modern-day infantry units. Last but not least, how do you paint that gorgeous metallic blue you have painted on your Executioners? I'd be very keen in seeing your recipe, please. :)

Barn: A bit late but yes, you can use any of the Terminator variants in Kill Team though they will have no rules to go with them, so it'll be exclusively an aesthetic thing. Also, solid progress on your Star Phantoms. Great stuff!

Midnightmare: Looking forward to seeing the squad continue to grow. :tu:

Doghouse: No, not too late at all! This log will be running until the end of the year and people are free to join whenever they wish to. :) Howling Griffons are a solid choice, as is doing them in one of their camo schemes. Don't forget that there's also the Night World Battle Livery used during their prior deployment in the Caradryad Sector and used during their deployment in the Khymara system.

Zebulon: You're welcome to join with some Marines Errant. What are your plans?

WeebLoser: Welcome to the B&C and this community project/log. :) Looking forward to seeing your Space Sharks! Any ideas what kind of models/wargear you'll be using?

WeebLoser: Welcome to the B&C and this community project/log. :smile.: Looking forward to seeing your Space Sharks! Any ideas what kind of models/wargear you'll be using?

I'm going to be using Intercessors as the base model, but rules wise I'm going to try and make a kill team mix of the different types of Veterans and Tactical Marines. The leader is a Vanguard with twin lightning claws. I'm just waiting on a few bits to finish him up.

I got my bits I needed today and have the first four guys on the go, I'll post pictures asap. I may go with the Sigmar VI Insurgency colour scheme not sure yet.

Think it's an unspoken rule that you have to use the alternate camo schemes.

That goes for everyone, take a look, there are some really good schemes:

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marines_Camouflage_Schemes

Way ahead of you :)

I am working on an improved version of my idea from the Shadow War campaign of having the old camouflage scheme on the cloaks while having the Armour in the traditional colors....

Mr. Yellow: I'm very much liking what you've done so far with your Naval forces. I especially like the Solar Auxilia Armsman with the Scion arms: they fit together great. The lore tidbits are also enjoyable. Ba:tu: I'm curious to know whether your Navy forces are aligned with the Loyalists or Secessionists though.

Thanks.

I haven't quite decided yet, kind of like the Executioners...

Edited by Mr Yellow

Spaced Hulk: Fantastic work on your Sternguard! Each model has its own distinctive feel while keeping within the general aesthetics of the Executioners. Keen to see more! Oh, and with regards to the assault variant of the bolt rifle, you could definitely frame it as a light support weapon, like the FN Minimi SAW that is used in modern-day infantry units. Last but not least, how do you paint that gorgeous metallic blue you have painted on your Executioners? I'd be very keen in seeing your recipe, please. :)

Cheers! I am tempted to build some more, to make the squad up to ten, but I want to get these painted first.

That's exactly what I was thinking with the auto-bolt rifle, that it's a light support weapon in a rifle squad. As Sternguard are armed with special issue bolters anyway, I think I can get away with using different boltgun patterns, long barrelled varients etc.

Recipe is really, really simple. Leadbelcher spray over a black primer, washed with Army Painter Dark Tone/Nuln Oil. Then, when all the other details and highlights are complete, I give all the armour a coat of Drakenhof Nightshade, which makes it a lot darker and gives it the blue tint.

Zebulon: You're welcome to join with some Marines Errant. What are your plans?

Thanks! Well, I wanted to do a chapter that nobody else had yet chosen, and that I hadn’t dabbled in previously. I then saw that there’s a named character for me to try to flesh out (Anton Narvaez) whom I will depict in his role as 4th Company Captain, before his rise to Chapter Master.

I also note that they make use of cut down “Naval” Bolters for boarding actions, which can be used one-handed - I might try to model that somehow, not knowing exactly what a cut down Bolter might look like...

Not sure whether I will attempt the camo pattern. Will have to see how brave I feel.

There are a couple of other interesting bits and pieces which I may consider using on their wiki article, but I shall keep that powder dry for now!

So, for the official record:

“I, Zebulon, do swear to complete a Kill Team consisting of up to ten Marines Errant who are committed to the Loyalist cause. The deadline for this will be December 2020 and I shall do my utmost not to fail my brothers-and sisters-in-arms.”

...I note that in the official Kill Team rules, there is no option for a Commander or Leader to be a classic Captain model. However, there is an option for a Captain in Phobos armour to be the Commander.

Although I remain a big Primaris refusenik until I have no option, I did happen to get the ETB Reivers at some point as I needed the skull helms for some Chaplain models I was knocking up.

Long story short, I have a Phobos-armoured body which I can use for Anton Narvaez, which will make him stand out above the rest of the group, and which will make him legal in the current KT rules.

None of the rest of the team will use any Primaris parts.

After sitting on the sidelines since this thread started, I'm going to get off my butt and throw in for my favorite chapter ever, the Star Phantoms. While my "Kill Team" won't be exactly rules legal as it will include an apothecary, it will be heavy on fluff and background to explain the reasoning behind it. I'm not going to commit to a deadline as this will involve a lot of converting as well as learning new painting tools, such as an airbrush. Project on!

Hmmmm. I might see about trying another Corien Sumatris conversion using Primaris as a base. I initially liked the start of the old one, but then made a change and didn't care for how it was turning out. 

http://i.imgur.com/R3rRNZv.png

I think the better proportions of the primaris will serve me better for a new version. 

You may have thought I was joking earlier, about the truescale Exorcist. 
I was not joking.

Diomedes Medhira : Exorcist

IMG_4885.JPG

The build was done by my long-time collaborator Umbral (whom I keep prodding to post some of his truescale Minotaurs herein) a few years back before I'd acquired the competence to convert; and the paintjob was started back about the same time. Which helps to explain why it's ... a bit thick in some areas, because younger me wasn't so great with the thinness of paints, and the light touch. 

IMG_4886.JPG

And, given how much I have now realized that painting white is a matter for the seriously skilled, or the not-nearly-skilled-enough-to-realize-why-this-is-a-bad-idea ... were I starting over again, I'd have probably undergone the 'metallic equivalency' approach and gone with a nice bright silver in place of the white. For some reason, it's tended to be 'kinder'. 

IMG_4887.JPG

It's a nicely crafted miniature, bringing together parts from a few Marine kits, and putting them together in a pretty decent - but not over-dramatic - looking pose. So hats off, again, to Umbral for this. [he'd seen the mostly finished mini on a shelf at my place a few weeks ago and asked when i was going to get around to posting it; so heer we go] 

As I say - I'm thinking about another truescale (or several) to go with him; perhaps also some Inquisition sorts to go alongside as well. He'd originally been intended to take the field alongside my Thorians for an M.38-ish historically set narrative effort. 

So, I spent several hours last night chopping up a primaris and putting back together... and I didn't like it. While digging around today, I found the Inter... Infil... Infilcursurators or something like that from the Shadowspear box that I got off eBay a while back and threw a few ideas together. More of a kitbash with a dash of converting than a real conversion. 

zjT4p0M.png

Not 100% on the shield arm, or even what I want to do for the shield yet, but I like it so far.