+ Imperial Fists legion reborn +

ST.Lazarus

igor-sid-imperial-fists-20nov2018-final.

The legend of Artorias art none but a fabrication. … Traversing the Cicatrix Maledictum? 'Tis but a fairy tale.

- Blessed Cardinal Ataulph

Welcome to my painting log where I will document the rise of the 5th Assault company my 2020 army project, a mobile strike force of Imperial Fist Primaris marines that have become waylaid in the Dark Imperium.  As the years passed and no lines of communication with the Greater Imperium or chapter command could be archived they have started stretching the laws of the codex Astartes in the name of necessity. 

Part of this project is to to build a army that goes against the grain of the current game Meta, learn new painting skills and put in even more attention to detail than I have done in my Black Templar army. 

84hgxex97jc41.jpg

This is the test marine and I'm happy with the results and with that I found a way to paint yellow that works fairly quickly while producing a nice result. I will try to keep the the Gothic theme of 40k in this army without going overboard while focusing on the sci-fi industrial aspect of the setting. Part of this is that all of my marines will have the MKIII shoulder pads from forgeworld. 

Next update will feature either a jump pack captain or Eliminators. 

Edited by ST.Lazarus

quality start.  this year, fists, sounds good to me.  adding rivets to mkX armour def works for the fists.

I do love the dust effects you've achieved on the legs, how'd you go about it?

Thanks mate.

The dust is Vallejo pigments; Brown Iron oxide as a base than layers of Natural Sienna and Desert dust. To get it extra grainy the final layers are added after the pigment binder has been put on the mode

Looking forward to seeing more here.  One photo request - I'm not sure if these are all Macro lense shots or not (which is fine for extreme detail), but I'd like to see a few shots that are further back from the models as well as to see the whole thing better.  Keep it rolling!

quality start.  this year, fists, sounds good to me.  adding rivets to mkX armour def works for the fists.

I do love the dust effects you've achieved on the legs, how'd you go about it?

Thanks mate.

The dust is Vallejo pigments; Brown Iron oxide as a base than layers of Natural Sienna and Desert dust. To get it extra grainy the final layers are added after the pigment binder has been put on the mode

thank you for the excuse to acquire more hobby kit

Excellent work on the jump pack!

Thanks mate.

Looking forward to seeing more here.  One photo request - I'm not sure if these are all Macro lense shots or not (which is fine for extreme detail), but I'd like to see a few shots that are further back from the models as well as to see the whole thing better.  Keep it rolling!

My photos set up is a bad right now as my lightbox broke and I'm using my phone camera. I'll get some pictures showing of the whole models going forward.

Looking excellent so far! Liking how crisp your yellow is, and the Mk. III shoulder pads look excellent. Excited to see the results of the Captain conversion!

Thanks mate,  I'm trying a method that worked really well and that leaves me more time to spend on things as weathering and bases. Talking about that Captain:

8o8kfp8l1cd41.jpg

I still need to do the base and finish the weathering, when he is done I'll move on either to more Intercessors or  Ill start work on the Eliminators. 

Edit: After taking the above photos I wan't happy with the pose and placement of the captain on the base so I ripped him off and re did the base a bit, the pigments on the base is now drying and some pictures of the completed models should be posted tomorrow. 

Edited by ST.Lazarus

med_gallery_98789_16106_91567.jpg

The squad is starting to come together all that is left to do on the bodies is battle damage and weathering, if the weather permits me I will base coat the arms and start work on them tomorrow. I have also spent this evening to order some bits that I need for my two Lieutenants and my eliminators.

I have written an army list that I feel fairly happy with, it's goes against the grain of what the current imperial fist meta list is as I said before. It lacks heavy anti tank but is extremely fast with some nasty tricks so I'm planning to catch my opponents by surprise.

Wow, those are some amazing Fists!

Thanks mate I hope to have the first squad finished by this weekend.

Something looks off with the powerfist. Other than that the Captian looks amazing. Is the shield from the Ogryn box?

It's really hard to photograph this miniature because of light overexposure, and by so the motion in the model won't come thru in my pictures. That makes the powerfist look a bit short and there is where the weirdness comes from. The overexposure issue is starting to get ridiculous, as an example the dust on the shield is red, terracotta and off white but in the picture it's all white. 

The shield is from the bullogryn kit and works quite well with gravis sized marines. 

z10lrscqtdf41.jpg

I been stuck on the bases for the last few days and I think I have finally solved it. Got some time left over today to finish the weathering on the sergeant and his friend, and to do the heads.  This picture too is suffering from the overexposure issue but I wanted to show of the Legion number on the helmets as that will be a constant on all of the models in this army, other thing of note is the small tactical arrow on the right shoulderpad. Tommorow I will work on the light issue and see if I can find a solution as I din't have this musch problems with my Templars.  

Edit:

Succeeded in getting the picture below that shows the colours a bit more true to life.

kn8lu3ibxdf41.jpg

Edited by ST.Lazarus

Excellent work so far!! The weathering on them is really insane nice work!!

Thanks mate, I really enjoy doing weathering as it helps to bring the model to life. I'm also trying out a lot of for me new techniques so it has been very fun so far.

The eyes looks great! Really excited to see full force of these.

Thanks, I subscribe to the idea that in a dangerous galaxy filled with monsters humanity decided to create their own sop I want them to look menacing so I took inspiration from Killzone and Jinh-Roh the wolf brigade.  I have now a written a 2000 points list that I'm happy with so when this squad is finished I will move onto some eliminators that I have started to convert and sitting on my table tight now.

84348982_525645491390948_388204518808934

The first three layers of weathering powder added to the bases of the last two marines of the first auto bolt rifle squad. I will let it set for a bit and then wipe some of it off the legs. Tomorrow when the pigment fixer has dried the pigments will turn out a bit lighter and then I will add a final layer of dust to tie them in with the rest of the squad. When the bases are done I will move onto finish the last two heads and the four backpacks. 

I have converted up a Phobos captain and decided that my eliminators will have something like the Legion destroyer colours scheme to make them stand out from my regular marines.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great progress!

Looking at the models, I'm noticing the Eagle and lightning bolts on their chests - markings of veterans from the conquest of Terra by the Emperor. Were these Imperial Fists originally Terran born and fought through the Conquest of Terra, the Great Crusade, and the Horus Heresy? These are some seriously veteran guys.

I wish I could pit my Iron Warriors against them :tongue.: Win or lose, it's a great narrative setup. Terran-born Primaris, veterans of countless wars, against the firstborn Legionnaires who turned traitor ten millenia ago.