Getting started with Blood Angels

Hello!

I’m a new player getting started with BA. I’ve played 40k before, but like 4 editions ago, and I’m very familiar with the lore.

My stupid questions are:

- I have the BA codex. Do I also need to purchase Blood of Baal? Sounds like it’s got a ton of rule changes and additional Relics and tactics, but I didn’t know if this info was included in the Codex (don’t know when the Codex was published)

- I have started with the Dark Imperium Box and so have 1 captain, 2 lts, 2 five-man squads of Intercessors with sergeants, 1 five-man squad of hellblasters, a Primaris Ancient, and three flying boys whose name I can’t remember. I’m thinking of adding the Crimson Spear set, as it would give me additional Intercessors as well as DC, JP chaplain, another captain, SG, and Baal Pred. I would also want to add the Librarian dread.

Is there something else I should focus on in terms of building a larger army?

Thanks for the help! I’ve been reading topics for a few days here and really appreciate the discussion and expertise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an alternative pov:

Maybe pass on Crimson Spear (though it's great value!), as tbh you can live without the Chaplain, Termie Captain and Baal Predator...if instead you get a box each of Intercessors, SG and Death Co. then you have saved £30 to spend on other stuff instead.

Going forward recommend getting at least one jump pack captain, Mephiston, Libby Dread, Lemartes, and Blood of Baal.

BA are blessed with some great HQ choices. Pairing these with more troops (cheap scouts?) will give you battalion detachments for much needed Command Points.

Consider painting the Death Co. models as Vanguard Veterans armed with double chainswords too as they are awesome (nothing wrong with Death Co. either though!)

Bearing in mind that, as far as the game itself goes, you're essentially a new player (40k today bears little resemblance to the one you would have played) you should probably worry less on having the most powerful army possible and instead focus on just getting an army together and learning the ropes. With that in mind, Crimson Spear would be an excellent next purchase. It contains loads of minis and is fantastic value. You do also need Blood of Baal. The codex is still valid and necessary to play, but Blood of Baal includes many essential rules changes, not to mention updated points values. 

In the long run, as far as minis go, definitely get yourself a smash captain (this is a captain with a jump pack, thunder hammer and storm shield), Mephiston, Lemartes and a Librarian Dreadnought. Our characters are easily the best thing about the army, you will love using them trust me. 

Well done on choosing the boys in red and best of luck as you get back into the hobby!

You will hear people refer to a Smash Captain. Just in case you haven't come across the term before, it is a Blood Angel's Captain with the following wargear and bonuses.

Thunder Hammer

Storm Shield

Jump Pack (replaced with the "Angel's Wing" relic Jump Pack from the codex).

"Death Visions of Sanguinius" (a Stratagem from the codex that turns him into a Death Company Captain).

"Artisan of War" (a Warlord trait that make his Thunder Hammer 4 damage).

This guy is fairly cheap (143 points) but can kill very powerful models (mine has killed a Blood Thirster in 1 round of melee in the past). People normally use him to take our large targets that would otherwise absorb a disproportionate amount of firepower to remove.

There are plenty of ways to build one, indeed converting is part of the fun. I made mine very simply using the body and jump pack from a Sanguinary Guard model and the Thunder Hammer and Stormshield from a Vanguard Veteran.

med_gallery_82363_13858_64520.jpg

Also if you're so inclined, and if the prospect of dealing with metal or resin doesn't appeal, you could convert the chaplain from Crimson Spear into Lemartes simply by kitbashing him to have a bolt pistol. Or for that matter, swap his head, give him a thunder hammer and a storm shield instead of his pistol and crozius, and there's your smash captain. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

Thanks for the replies!

I’ve made a few updates since posting ... I’ve gotten Primaris Mephiston and a Librarian dreadnought (kept the arms unglued so I can run him as a Furioso if desired as well) and bought an Invictor off a local player who gave me a great price NIB.

I’m still going a little back and forth on the Crimson Spear box. I don’t want the captain since I already have a regular captain and he doesn’t seem easily convertible into Smashy. I don’t mind the Baal predator but I don’t really want it, either. Crimson Spear is $157 versus about $130 for the intercessors, SG, DC, and an upgrade spruce (so $120 without). I think the value is there even if I don’t want or use the captain ... maybe I can sell him to recover some cost!

This is the 2000 point army I’m working towards right now:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [54 PL, 943pts, 2CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 143pts, -1CP]: 2. Artisan of War, Death Visions of Sanguinius, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer

Chief Librarian Mephiston (Primaris) [8 PL, 145pts]: 1. Quickening, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, 6. Wings of Sanguinus

Lemartes [5 PL, 100pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Death Company [9 PL, 99pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Power fist

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [6 PL, 131pts]: Fragstorm grenade launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail heavy stubber

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [68 PL, 1,052pts, -2CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armour [7 PL, 108pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 154pts]: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinus, Biomantic Sarcophagus, Furioso fist, Meltagun

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 69pts]

. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 63pts]: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword, Standard of Sacrifice

Sanguinary Guard [8 PL, 114pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine axe

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine axe

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 123pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

. Two assault bolters: 2x Assault bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: 4x Hellblaster, Plasma incinerator

. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [122 PL, 1,995pts] ++