PA6: Saga of the Beast Discussion

Kaldoth

I have the red gobbo, he is an elites choice. You can DL his stats from the legends I believe and I know he comes with his datacard. So he is not going to be an HQ option for any grot clan. Which is unfortunate as fluff wise he would be a great fit. 

Fairly certain Da Red Gobbo is actually an elite slot (and of course, legends, so sort of moot anyways)

Well, having just looked your correct he's an elite choice. 
No idea how they're going to get a grot clan playable, unless a grot clan piggy backs on to an a detachment. Ork clan detachment with grots from a grot clan? 

Makari is an HQ slot. That's how they might be playable. 

Or maby allow a kan to be an HQ? I don't think they will do any piggybacking onto another detachment, but unless it is Makari or a kan "upgraded" to HQ, I do not know how they might do it. If its a grot "clan" I assume they will have thier own detachment. Very curious indeed.

But for all the grot clan rules to be tied to Makari, a named Goff (maybe that wouldn't matter?) HQ is annoying. It would also mean that grot clans can only ever be used in a Vanguard, Spearhead, Outrider or patrol detachment. Actually, due to the severe lack of grot units it could only ever be a Spearhead or Patrol detachment. (Assuming they have to be separate, "pure" grot detchments)

So I hope they've figured out a better solution than that..

Jesus, rerolling 1's on mek guns is strong. A grot spearhead detachment is going to become common I think, just have a weirdboy or KFF mek as the HQ (since you're allowed to have normal Orks in the detachment apparently)

Edit: And a 6++ is pretty good on things like normal grots (who only have a 6+) and mek guns (who only have a 5+)

Edited by PiñaColada

It's resembling a 7th edition army construction using the Ghaz supplement chart, kinda.

Yep. I expect the same but the orks in that list would they have a clan culture?  If so I expect they're defskulls for the rerolls, being mostly SAGMeks. 

Oh boy, Mek Gunz just got a great buff. The rest of it is "meh", as grots with an invulnerable still die super quick. But Mek Gunz are even better. Gotta find out how sub-kultures work, but I'm sure there will be room to make large gun batteries into grot clans.

It's from GW's new wording to make things clear and precise. I know that sounds backwards, but that is the purpose. Even when fast rolling 72 dice, each individual dice roll (GW doesnt use the singular "die"; one dice is a dice) is occurring individually, irrespective of the others. So you may pre-roll that dice if it comes up as a 1. Extrapolate that across all the dice rolled.

Interesting... Well other than them being in thier own detachment I was totally off with my guesses haha. 

This could be powerful for the artillary as others have said. I also am curious about the orks there, same questions, I assume they wont get culture buffs as they are not grots. Seems like it would be the reverse of grots as someone else said. 

When it says reroll to hit of 1, that is both shooting and close combat right? The wording says yes, so kans should be able to reroll hits of 1 in close combat. Not super great or earth shattering but better than nothing I suppose. 

1584757471509.jpg

Yeah, that's great. It's more like the classic, bellowing, challenging, iconic Ork pose. I will 100% be building mine like that (without the smoke).

Seconded. I adore the second pose, looks more natural and "right"

Million dollar question. How do you slot in ghaz to an existing army? What are people's thoughts?

I'm thinking a Goff detachment but what is the question...

1584757471509.jpg

Yeah, that's great. It's more like the classic, bellowing, challenging, iconic Ork pose. I will 100% be building mine like that (without the smoke).

Seconded. I adore the second pose, looks more natural and "right"

Million dollar question. How do you slot in ghaz to an existing army? What are people's thoughts?

I'm thinking a Goff detachment but what is the question...

Same. I had already been planning a goff detachment. I suppose I will place him there when I field him.

Yup, I prefer the second pose too. The gunsmoke wisps could be very useful bits and pieces. I'm not sure what I'd do to convert him into my warboss but I know he'd use a large Skorcha from some model range.

Leaks from England show Ghaz is 285pts, Makari 65.

Woof... That's inline with the PL. Hella expensive as expected. Love the Model, but damn if he doesn't get erratas to fix his rules and o points I can't see him being worth it too often. He alone is barely cheaper than 15 lootas + SAG HQ, the latter pair basically being essential stuff. Was hoping he + Makari was going to be 280ish, but nope.

I'll try him in a game or two, but monster keyword without also "fly" is such a pure negative in 8th.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Yeah, that's a nice thing! No more index fist shaking from others.

Overall, there's a lot of fun, fluffy stuff. But decent/good stuff appears the be in the minority of this PA. For the most, it all feels pretty sub-par, sadly. Couple standouts, but the book seems like a resounding "Meh" to me.

Having to give up a kultur to get one subkultur per detachment seems like GW trying to get orks to move away from double battalion minimum, but who ever would? Picking two subs would've probably been okay, but just one? Evil suns for melee and moons for shooting still reign supreme.

Feel like there's huge missed opportunity here, and that missed opportunity is the essence of this PA, at least the orks half.

In comparison, Blackmane is fun, a monster in melee, and points/rules appropriate as all get-out.

*Sad trombone*