PA6: Saga of the Beast Discussion

Kaldoth

It comes from the lore, Orks grow every-time they win fights and battles and wars

Not sure that’s quite how it works. Orks grow before challenges to other Orks for leadership positions, but I don’t think there’s ever been anything about them getting larger by winning wars and such.

They grow bigger by fighting, that has been in the lore for literally 20ish years now, since the 3rd edition.

I've read some opinions like that, regarding his size, and I'm just perplexed where it comes from. His two exposed thighs are HUGE, seemingly about 3/4ths as broad as a primaris's chest. Also, they are long, from his covered hip to knee, especially when you consider that Orks have relatively short legs. His torso behind his head is massive, and the exposed arms are monstrous!

It comes from the lore, Orks grow every-time they win fights and battles and wars and there is no known limit to how big they can grow, so Orks that head great WAAAGGH!s are ginormous. Ghaz' size has never been confirmed but his older models are relatively short considering he's heading one of the biggest WAAAGH's ever. Wait to see how big the Nobz are if the rumour engine is what I hope.

What you hoping for or thinking?

I like how large Ghaz is it is reminiscent of the cover art for codex Armageddon. Kinda wish they had posed him with his Klaw up in the air to make him look even larger.

Joys of plastic, you may well be able to depending on the joins/ build. Fingers crossed!

Just to be bigger, now that Ghaz is so big I think they have to be a bit bigger, especially due to Primaris as well.

It comes from the lore, Orks grow every-time they win fights and battles and wars

Not sure that’s quite how it works. Orks grow before challenges to other Orks for leadership positions, but I don’t think there’s ever been anything about them getting larger by winning wars and such.

That's always been the case. Just off the top of my head, it's why the Octarius War was seen as being so dangerous to the Imperium in previous editions, because Imperial probes were reporting boyz the size of other regions Warbosses, with Octarius Warbosses being Dreadnought-sized.

That's always been the case. Just off the top of my head, it's why the Octarius War was seen as being so dangerous to the Imperium in previous editions, because Imperial probes were reporting boyz the size of other regions Warbosses, with Octarius Warbosses being Dreadnought-sized.

what would be even better is if they make bigger Nobz but still keep the old kits as they still look fantastic and it would give so much variance to the size of orks and it would be far more realistic lore-wise, though we know GW won't do that as they will want to maximise the sales of the new ones if in fact they are making new ones.

Best case is we get a new squad of "Bully Boyz/Drinkin Matez" or something like that, to represent the Warbosses closest Nobz, while the existing Nobz kit remains in place to represent Household Nobz, to bring back a term from Rogue Trader days.

That would be awesome, give them some knew cool weapons that the Mek's make for them and have a Mega armour kit as well, it would be cool if they were the size of nobz in the space marine game, as they were giant but not so big that its ridiculous.  Also some other boss' I'd like to see made bigger not nearly as big as Ghaz but maybe a warboss kit so the other klanz could use or finally more named boss' for the other klans.  I collect Goffs but we could still use a bigger boss kit as well.

They grow bigger by fighting, that has been in the lore for literally 20ish years now, since the 3rd edition.

Was curious as to why I remembered it so differently, and it turns out that they're both true - the bit about Orks' growing during war and how they put on muscle before challenging a superior are kind of co-mingled into a single paragraph back in the old Anzion Report from GorkaMorka. Weird!

Was curious as to why I remembered it so differently, and it turns out that they're both true - the bit about Orks' growing during war and how they put on muscle before challenging a superior are kind of co-mingled into a single paragraph back in the old Anzion Report from GorkaMorka. Weird!

I've been collecting since 2nd edition, the amount of stuff I miss-remember can fill volumes lol  We all do it.

Actually, I remember that other bit now too, where the leader Orks would keep an eye out for underlings who were literally "getting too big for their boots", and beat them up before they could launch their challenge.

I remember the growing lore from 3rd codex, I never played second, I started playing when third edition was released. (boy =/> skarboy =/> nob =/> boss)

Back on topic- I am personally waiting on the PA book to continue rebuilding my boyz. I want to see what new options they might give, before I finish putting boyz and things fully back together. As with some of the rest of you I wonder how they might do "custom" clans. If that's what they do. Other than perhaps the missing mek w/ KFF datasheet we are missing I do not think they will add new units. It would be cool if they did, but I do not think GW will do that. Since Ghaz is Goffs I guess its a good thing I had decided to do a split with Badmoonz and field most of my close combat orks as Goffs. 

There is an outside chance they spring Nez Dreg on us in the next codex in about a year and a half to two years. Not sure the how long from the start of AoS it was to the latest Green skin Orc book. But the way GW went so hard on that yellow paint I can't see why Nez Dreg wasn't already brought back....Unless they killed him off already?

There is an outside chance they spring Nez Dreg on us in the next codex in about a year and a half to two years. Not sure the how long from the start of AoS it was to the latest Green skin Orc book. But the way GW went so hard on that yellow paint I can't see why Nez Dreg wasn't already brought back....Unless they killed him off already?

Isn’t Waaagh Nazdreg on the Ork codex galaxy map, confirming he’s still alive?

Isn’t Waaagh Nazdreg on the Ork codex galaxy map, confirming he’s still alive?

It sure is.

Also perhaps I was wrong about new units, the new rumor engine pic, https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/10/the-rumour-engine-march-10th-2020/ is definitely orky. perhaps we will get lucky. Looks like a new nob weapon to me. 

To be hones I have hardly looked at the new codex the whole time I have had it. If he's alive then very cool, maybe we'll get lucky...wait that' Blue.. what's yellow? Flashy? Ya, must be flashy...if we're lucky we'll get flashy... 

A new Nob or a new anything not silly vehicle and I am sold. Maybe a big boss and a Big Mek combo kit? Wish we'd get another Weirdboy/Warphead mini. Just because that would be cool. 

Cheers, the rules don't match the model though.  He should have more attacks, 5 is ridiculous and Orks are a CC army, he hits hard as he should but shouldn't warrant him hitting less frequently, never mind, didn't realise he hits higher the more wounds he takes.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

Cheers, the rules don't match the model though. He should have more attacks, 5 is ridiculous and Orks are a CC army, he hits hard as he should but shouldn't warrant him hitting less frequently, never mind, didn't realise he hits higher the more wounds he takes.

If you take him in a Goff's army he does get exploding hits on 6s in close combat. And at 4 damage a pop with his claw, he's going to be laying down some hurt as is. They probably just wanted to limit his damage potential rather than outright being able to krump a knight every combat phase (instead you'll need to chuck in some nobz or boyz alongside him to ensure the kill)

Cheers, the rules don't match the model though. He should have more attacks, 5 is ridiculous and Orks are a CC army, he hits hard as he should but shouldn't warrant him hitting less frequently, never mind, didn't realise he hits higher the more wounds he takes.

Hes only fighting with one hand :)

Word is 300 points.

I'm not *bummed* out, but I am underwhelmed. The 4-wounds-a-phase this is super great, and D4 on his weapon is really awesome. But the Monster keyword is a big, big problem in my mind, as well as being a Goff. Ruins (the most common terrain) will limit his movement, as he has to go around, which is a problem I've learned of acutely with my Bonebreakas. The extra attack to Ork Infantry he already had, but it's actually a mediocre buff. Often Ork boyz are either dead or overkilling something. The re-roll buff to Goffs is cool, and will help them out a lot, but Evil Sunz boyz will still be faster and probably preferable. He can't even advance and charge!

He's a real cool model that will be a lot of fun to play with. But, as is, he's going to be way overcosted.

So, hopefully, the PA has some really cool stuff.