Warhawk Battle Reports: 9e @battlepics

Dracos

Nice.

We will see. I've decided since this is my first game with the Gravis Captain to lean into Murphy's Law . . . 

. . . I've replaced the Burning Blade with The Raven Skull of Korvaad. Not only do I like the rerolls it gives the Captain with that "power fist" but when (not if, because ... you know, models first game syndrome) he dies, the rest of the army gets +1 to hit with everything for the rest of the game.

Fatalistic?

I wouldn't do this if I were trying to be uber competitive for this game but it has occurred to me it might be worth a CP to put this on a Cheap as Chips character and send them out to die Turn One. No Captains required ;)

So that was interesting :HQ:

My list is at the end of page one. Basically my 1k 8e list but missing an Intercessor squad and HQ choice. I likely wont be using the Gravis Captain again but he was fun. Narrative?Crusade game he'd be cool but competitively I'll likely fall back on the Chaplain or Phobos Captain as Choice A with a Lt Variant as choice B. My opponent is playing Death Guard for first time. He usually plays Necrons or Marines ... so playing a tough Astartes wasn't that far out of his wheelhouse I thought ;)

NurgleDemon Prince

Nurgle Sorcerer

5 Nurgle Terminators in Reserve

10 Nurgle Marines

Unit of 3 Blight Haulers

Randomly rolled for Raid in the Incursion list.

He set the terrain up and won to choose table side.

I won to go first but chose to go second.

med_gallery_7985_16096_115363.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_224864.jpg

We both choose Kill Warlord as a Secondary. I choose Raise the Banner and Engage on All Fronts. He choose While We Stand, and Linebreaker. As you will see we both chose poorly, at least in my opinion. I held both Intercessor squads (sgt w/ power fist) and Inceptors in reserve. I've been prepping a more aggressive 9e list and kept thinking they were Plasma Inceptors :facepalm:

First Turn he moves everything up a bit and gets a wound on my Eliminators (yay +1 saves). I move the Eliminators up, because duh I deployed my Eliminators and Assault Cannon both more than 3 inches away from the Objective in bottom left quarter table. So with all the minus Nurgles to hit, Invul, and Disgusting Saves, I think I plinked 2 wounds.

med_gallery_7985_16096_203665.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_210217.jpg

Turn Two

(Im ignoring the Psychic phase as it was mostly -1 to hit the DP or Smite)

Haulers kill an Aggressor in shooting. For some reason he hangs back with his Nurgle Marines. I think he over estimates the ability of Eliminators to kill Nurgle Marines (maybe not I haven't played against Death Guard since 3/4e). First squad of Intercessors and Inceptors come down. The Aggressors plink a few more wounds off the Demon Prince but after charges don't live long enough to strike back. The Inceptors plink off a few wounds. Gravis Captain charges and after the tangle the Captain still had 5 W and the Demon Prince was sent back to the Warp.

It also hits me that Raising Flags was better idea than shooting Eliminators Turn one (duh). I start Raising Flags on three Objectives. By end of game I earn 9 points, should have been 11 and could have been 14 if I hadn't went brain dead beginning of the game. Definitely a keeper secondary considering my playstyle.

Turn Three

I think I had consolidated the Gravis Captain into the Blight Haulers. He had chosen two of them as his While We Stand secondaries. I was figured killing them and denying him points was same as earning my own points. No way was I going to Engage on All Fronts after he brought the Terminators into his backfield to guard that Objective. Also I was playing a bit loose since I wanted to see (Crap: I just realized I never used the rerolls) what the Raven Skull of Korvaad did after the Captain died. His Terminators killed an Inceptor with some doubling shooting strat. Again yay +1 to saves. The Captain fighting first even though it was his turn threw him off a bit. He actually did a number on one of the Haulers, but it's fate was sealed yet. The charging Inceptors and Intercessors finished off the lead Hauler and started chipping away a second one. (I'm not sure you should be able to be able to "protect" a model like this? Being able to choose where wounds are allocated against the While We Stand secondary?)

med_gallery_7985_16096_107123.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_112028.jpg

Turn Four

He leaves his Sorcerer back to maintain control of the Objective (I assume) and his Nurgle Marines had moved up Turn 3. So Turn 4 they throw plague grenades 12 freaking inches lol at the second Intercessor team that arrived Turn 3 . They kill an Intercessor. Terminators are objective camping, basically same as my Eliminators with all the action revolving around the Blight Haulers. My Gravis Captain is dead now but the power fist sgts finish off a second Blight Hauler. I think they can finish the third off so I have the Inceptors fall back. My plan is to get at least something from either Engage on All Fronts or kill that Sorcerer in the backfield. I'd already given up one of the Objectives in an attempt to wipe out the Haulers.

Post Battle Thoughts

My friend had to leave after the 4th Turn.

Obviously I need to look deeper into the Mission and Secondaries and how my army interacts best with them.

I did win 48 to 36 but we both could have done better. He wasn't rolling Disgusting Resilience with the power fist correctly. I think that might have saved a Blight Hauler. The board size made options for bringing things in from reserve really limited. Denying your opponent areas to bring in should definitely be part of your game plan in my opinion. I was more than happy to give an Objective away to see the Terminators neutralized. He realized he needed more units in a game like this. He just couldnt spread his army wide enough to contest (He also thought he could claim multiple objectives with one unit) so I expect his list will be more competitive in the future.

By the way: Get the Chapter Approved GT 2020 book. Love the spiral binding compact size and easy reference. I am using tags so I can flip right to any section I need to reference and takes p almost no space on the game table. I hope to set up another game with someone next week. Week after that back to teaching so harder to get games in under current Distancing situation.

I also think I should have decided to go first.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to set up my third Incursion game this week. Last game against Thousand Sons was fun but too many weird things happened to make it worth going into detail. In short Ahrimm periled maxed on on himself and was dead Turn One from Inceptor fire. We also somehow were plating on a Strike Force size board that didn't do his guys any favors.

This is what I am experimenting with at the moment. I hope to Infiltrate the Intercessors and deep strike the Inceptors, unless it's just better to start them on the board. They won't have a Chaplain to aid them. I'm interested in using units that don't need HQ buffs to do work.

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [54 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

Battle Size [6CP]: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points) 

Detachment CP

+ HQ +
Captain in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 100pts]: Camo cloak
 - Warlord, Echo of the Ravenspire, Ex Tenebris

+ Troops +
5 Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: Bolt rifle and Power fist
5 Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: Bolt rifle and Power fist
5 Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Stalker bolt rifle

+ Fast Attack +
5 Inceptor Squad [12 PL, 200pts]
5 Inceptor Squad [12 PL, 200pts]

+ Heavy Support +
3 Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 90pts]
3 Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 90pts]

++ Total: [54 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

These are the last days of the Warhawks as we know them. I will be building the Indomitus Astartes and that means eventually I will be retiring everything for the Warhawks except the Phobos units I have painted [10 Aggressors, 10 Inceptors, 20 Intercessors and couple characters for trade or dust collecting]. The Phobos units will become a SpecOps team. My version of a Ravenwing sort of. The "new" Warhawk official scheme will have the same pattern but use Army Paint colors Pure Red and Ultra Blue. 20 or (10) Assault Intercessors, (+10 Intercessors converted from Indomitus to carry Bolt Rifles), and when they are released 10 Heavy Intercessors. 6 Eradicators are a must. I'll likely add 5 Plasma Inceptors but that depends on the Tanks and Firestrike Turret. I'm not sure yet about the Outriders and Blade Guard because I'm hoping the Codex let's them go 3-6 each. Cool as they are and I want heavy melee, I just cant see fielding a Blade Guard unit with only 3 models. If rumors about Outriders are true I could see fielding 2 units of 4. They have an extremely large footprint and a diminishing point or return on investment in my opinion past that point. I'm excited to start a new color scheme and develop a new more aggressive playstyle with "real" assault units. 

Edited by Dracos

Thanks. I just like sharing real game experience with the Ravenspire. Math is great but seeing it work irl is best imo. There’s a bunch of great artist in the Ravenspire (not me) and more than a couple of us who like to make the Raven Guard (sans Centurions ;)) the best they can be and flavorful so questions are welcome on any topic.

Yeah, I'm trying to stay pretty themeatic with my guys. So I'm almost all Phobos at the moment other then some Inceptors which Iike because of Jumppacks, and Aggressors because I thought the models looked cool. The bulk of my force is always going to be things that can use Concealed positons or deep strike though because I feel like Raven Guard would have guys sneak in to secure a drop zone and then bring things in right in the enemies face to reign havoc.

So far I've had mixed results on that, but I've enjoyed the hell out of them. I'm so used to playing orks which are a much more straight forward charge in and hit them hard sort of army. So the finesse needed for these guys is a nice change.

I’m finding I have more CP to use than ever. I really think a couple Infiltrators units are needed for competitive play, but I am starting to try Infiltrating Intercessors over next few games as a test bed for my Assault Intercessors. Trying to convince myself they have a place in a RG set up. WS, BA, BT, SW set ups mean they have a place in those Chapters without a doubt. With us a unit has to get special use out of our focus on maneuvering shenanigans (which are less impactful in the Era of Transports?) of character deleting Super Doctrine.

Currently I am looking at the following as meta masters (post 2W upgrade taking effect)

Custodes

Harlequin

Death Guard

Necrons
Thousand Sons
Iron Hand

.... and I expect some nasty Soup Armies to make a comeback. Not right away but especially Chaos and Eldar. Knights Demons Wave Serpents Harlequins etc are going to get good with the right pilot imo

Edited by Dracos

• 1 month later...

Quick Summary of a pick up game I had this evening. It was 2k against Necrons. He was trying to get use to the new Codex and I used my 8e list and Codex because GW hates me and I can't find a 9e version in the city anywhere so far.

I wont get most of the names right but I'll try and give a accurate account as possible

My list

Shrike

MoS Chaplain with MoA

2 units of Infiltrators (Incursors would have been better, I just haven't seen anyone really using reserves)

4 units of Intercessors (2 with power fist)

2 units or 5 Aggressors

2 units of 5 Bolter Inceptors

3 units of Eliminators

His List

Noble?

Plasmaguy?

Another guy on foot

and a guy in a flying sled?

20 Warriors

2 x10 Warriors with transport

2 x10 Immortals

2 War of the World Doom Walkers

2 or 3 units of little melee guys to protect Plasmaguy

I think thats it for him. Both list were 2k and while he won the role to choose Defender I won the roll to go first.

I deployed all my Eliminators and an Aggressor squad on left side of the field. Half my Intercessors and Infiltrators in the middle third and the other half on my right side of the field. He deployed from the middle out. quasi-castling around his characters with the intention of pushing into the midfield. 

10 Warriors w/transport - 10 Immortals - 20 Warriors - 10 Immortals - 10 Warriors w/ transport

- the Doom Walkers bracketed a character that gave them a 3+ to hit (those things would delete vehicles if I took them)

I MoA the Chappie and Aggressors on the left flank. The first squad died in Turn 2 but were replaced by another squad SftS. They rolled up the Warriors and the Immortals on that flank and were pounding down the Doom Walker by time we called it in T3. The Chaplain buffed the Aggressors and helped kill a couple characters. The Eliminators helped the Chappie and killed the guy in the flying sled (Necron Claus?) with some awesome mortal wound rolls in T2. 

- Edge: Raven Guard

Middle of the table I stupidly exposed my Infiltrators so charged them into the 20 Warriors that advanced to the midfield ruin I was hiding in. 3 guesses how that turned out and two don't count lol. Good news was it gave my power fist bolt rifle sgt time to get up and counter attack. Lets say that while he and his 4 boys more than held their own by chewing through half, 20 Warriors are awfully durable. I'm hoping the Assault Intercessors and Bladeguard have better luck.

- Edge: Necrons

On the right side of the board it was a bit of a standoff. I just didn't have what it took to shift that transport and the Immortals were making killer resurrection rolls. This is where plasma Inceptors could get work done the bolter Inceptors couldn't (I'll be building a unit of 5 I think) Shrike didn't help much. His Warrior squad was doomed to die by sheer firepower (and power fist) of the Intercessors and Inceptors but it would take most the game just to take down those 10 guys that kept getting back up - it was ugly.

- Edge: Raven Guard but barely.

It was  fun game and has reinforced my thoughts on rebuilding the Warhawks for a 9e meta. Retire the Boltstorm Aggressors and build one unit of 5 Flamestorm Aggressors. Retire the Bolter Inceptor and build one unit of 5 Plasma Inceptors. Swap a couple Bolt Rifle Intercessors for Assault Intercessors. Retire the 3 units Eliminators (this one hurts) and build two 5 man Eradicators (they will get nerfed so might as well plan for it) and add couple 5 man Bladeguard units. 

Interesting to see your list morph with experience and new rules, and kudos for your streak of victories! I'm excited to see the new scheme too, though a part of me does worry blue/red is clashy and Crimson Fisty. 

My list is moving much in the same direction, Flamestorm Aggressors, I've already been running Hellblasters (getting 3 shots with the Assault variant now is nuts) and more Eradicators. Looking forward to folding in some Outriders and the new Bike Chaplain, but they might actually end up getting turfed at 2k for a Terminator Chaplain coming on with Aggressors using SftS and a Techmarine leading Assault Intercessors with MoA to buff my Invictor.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be a shorter summary of the game than I usually give. It was a Guard army and while the guy was a decent pilot that army just needs some oomph for it to be competitive as a mono-faction.

My current list (until my Indomitus models are done)

HQ: Shrike and while usually a Chaplain I went with Gravis Captain to tone it down a notch

Troop: 2 sets of 5 Incursors and 2 sets of 5 Intercessors, and a 10 man squad of Assault Intercessors

Elite: 2 sets of 5 Boltstorm Aggressors

Fast: 2 sets of 5 Bolter Inceptors. I'd use Plasma but that's another 100 points and hard to have Shrike babysit both.

Heavy: 3 sets of 3 Eliminators which will get scrapped asap when the 10 Eradicators are table ready

My opponents list

HQ: Leman Russ Punisher and at least 4 other characters which were a nuisance but dead at games end (Assassinate)

Troops: 4 Infantry squads nothing super fancy

Elite: You know them and love them, half a dozen Ogryn

Fast: Sentinel with flamers. Ouch. Yeah I charged them.

Heavy: Couple heavy weapon teams and couple more Leman Russ and a Hellhound

Note: -1 to hit and a bump to the armor save in a proper amount of terrain laid table is good stuff.

med_gallery_7985_16096_175692.jpg

Six Objectives. I tried to maintain focus on four at all times. I realized I was going to flanked by all the tanks and only last so long, but (for me) it was better than if he has pushed up the middle with two of the Lemans. He did a great job of blocking me out of his deployment zone but it left the middle open for my Inceptors and Aggressors to arrive and start taking the army apart Turn Two. Those Sentinels were a pain in my backside foe two turns but using MoA to move the Gravis Captain and the Assault Intercessors over there drew his Ogryns away from one of his Objectives and allowed me to move the Incursors onto it Turn Three with some Inceptors.

med_gallery_7985_16096_94667.jpg

This right after I finally wiped out the 3 Sentinels. You can see the 4 buffing characters including the Immortal Ogryn at top of the picture. They all charged in their Turn hoping to make a run for my Objective just south of this picture. The Gravis Captain (Warlord) eventually died) and Assault Intercessors live long enough to take half the Ogryns and a character down. Their efforts gave Shrike and the Aggressors time to charge in and kill ... well everything. Fun fight and Shrike lived for once lol.

med_gallery_7985_16096_614434.jpg

I already described the scrum on the right. a Guard Infantry squad was double moving to try and circle around the fight to get to my Objective but died to Aggressor firepower upon emerging from the Shadows. After clearing an Infantry squad the his middle objective my first team of Inceptors moved to support the Incursors now holding one of his Objective on the east side. That infantry team in the corner became red mist. He moved the Hellhound into the middle about 14 inches from my Aggressors. My next turn I gambles and Raven's Blade gave me the roll I needed to charge the tank, more flaming overwatch. Luckily my Inceptors that arrived in the southwest picked enough wounds off before the charge that it died in melee ... and blew up. 4 Aggressors stood firm though. I lost the Objective on my west side and had a short fight with hotshot Scions in my deplotment zone

and that was pretty much the game.

I was going to max Primary and the Secondaries I chose. for almost 80 points and while he was going to get 40 for Primaries his Secondaries were going to be about 20ish. Not a bad score on his part just proof that Guard only need to be given some small hopefully narratively accurate tweaks to be competitive in my opinion. My 9e list should have the tools to tear this kind of list up. I just dont have the models ready yet to take on this many tanks.

• 1 month later...

I have a game scheduled tomorrow if all goes as planned. On the city 40k site someone asked for a game to run his Sisters. I haven’t played against the Sisters since they were revamped with a new Codex. Should be interesting. 1000 point game. Figured I’d try out the Successor traits I’ve been eyeballing recently.

+ Patrol Detachment +

**Warhawks** Bolter Fusillades, Raven Guard Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

Battle Size [6CP]: Incursion 1000 Points

+ HQ +

Indomitus Lieutenant: Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Swift and Deadly, Warlord

+ Troops +

5 Incursors

+ Elites +

5 Boltstorm Aggressors

+ Fast Attack +

5 Bolter Inceptors

5 Bolter Inceptors

+ Heavy Support +

3 Eliminators

3 Eliminators

++ Total: [56 PL, 5CP, 1,000pts] ++

I assume Bolter Fusillades works with the Aggressors and Eliminators. I normally run with a Chaplain and need to get the Outrider Chaplain for the bigger games. This will be a nice test to see how I want to proceed to 2k.

Love seeing aggressors still in lists. They're a nice fit here too and the chapter tactic/warlord trait combo puts them at a decent level post double shoot nerf - though more combat focused than previously. Bolter inceptors can do some work, but having the powerfists as utility is a nice fall back when someone inevitably brings a tougher target at 1k. 

Bolter fusilade works with boltstorm gauntlets and eliminator sniper rifles. you'll have to roll for frag separately.

I really like this list. good luck!

Edited by Riddlesworth

Quick summary of a game with a player just starting a Sisters Army. He is veteran Dark Angel player. We were team mates on a team tournament in September. This game didn't last long. My Alpha Strike took the heart out of his army T1. I tried to make sure he was able to use each unit at least once in combat before I boltered it to death. Turns out an Indomitus Lieutenant isn't a bad thing to combine with Bolter Fusillades. I played both games using it and Whirlwind of Rage trying out a Successor game plan. It was killer but I'm not sure it was worth giving up Shrike. Used a Reiver Lieutenant in the big game and while I cant see him replacing my Chaplain that wound reroll Aura is strong for someone using a dakka list.

med_gallery_7985_16096_736532.jpg

The picture is T2. T1 Master of Ambush went on one set of Aggressors and Infiltrated the second. The red "X"s are where there were two Battle Sister squads and the two vehicles( one a Rhino, the other a melta tank ?) were peppered by enough dakka to bring them both to 3 or 4 wounds(?). I lost a squad of Aggressors to the ladies with chainswords (aka power fist) and an Inceptor squad to the ladies and tank with melta out the wazoo. T3 I shot the melta tank and charged the melta-girls and just shot the chainsword girls to oblivion T3 to finish the game. Just a bad match up I think for what he brought to an Incursion game and me testing an almost all Gravis list in both games that day

Second game that day was against a 2k White Purple Scars list with a lot of good meta units. You can see them in the picture below but a Bike Captain, Primaris Apothecary (proxied with a Primaris Techmarine), Primaris Librarian, and a Primaris Lieutenant. Made my third secondary choice pretty easy.

He had two 10 man Assault Intercessors, 10 Thunder Hammer Terminators, two units of 3 Outriders, 3 Invaders, 10 Assault Rifle (?) Intercessors that he combat squaded during deployment. No Eradicators though.

med_gallery_7985_16096_749053.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_344535.jpg

On the other side of the table I had my Chaplain and Lieutenant (Primaris always and only) 2 squads of Incursors, 2 squads of Eliminators as my Objective Holders and Action Monkeys. Two each of 5 Bolter Inceptors, Boltstorm Aggressors and Bladeguard. I also used Master of Ambush on the 10 Assault Intercessors and Chappie.

med_gallery_7985_16096_480421.jpg

On my right side of the table I was able to get a first turn charge off on his Invaders. I think that picture was taken before they fought for the second time. They finished the Invaders off and then spent the next couple turns trading blows with a 10 man squad of Assault Intercessors and 5 man assault rifle Intercessors holding the objective. Eventually The Chaplain was the only one left alive but it took help from my reserves for that to happen. In the picture below, you will see he loaded his characters on my left ... in front of 6 Eliminators with Sniper Rifles. I did explain the RG Super Doctrine before the game. Although to be accurate, actually the Inceptors coming in from reserve T2 took out the Apothecary and Librarian.

med_gallery_7985_16096_315007.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_345976.jpg

^This^ and the following picture will show you I need to get better at placing melee units. I fell in love with the idea of using the terrain as a defensive position and just flubbed placement on the other Bladeguard unit. I used Infiltrate and tried to keep them from getting shot at by the Intercessors. I should have circled left and dealt with them. It would have opened up a landing zone for my Inceptors and avoided the crushing rush of the Assault Intercessors. Basically they did to me what I did to the Invaders on my turn. Amazing how much that strat got used that game. Not really. As we move to the next picture you will see what a 10 man squad of Thunder Hammer Terminators and a Bike Captain does to 5 Bladeguard and Incursors.

med_gallery_7985_16096_308018.jpg

The crazy tough Bike Captain drove right into my "defensive" terrain and for the life of me I don't know why I didn't use Transhuman on the Bladeguard. Dumb mistake. Mistake of ignorance on my part wasn't knowing I could use the strat to interrupt and attack the Terminators with what I had left of the Bladeguard after the Captain had killed two of them. I really need to look at Goonhammer again and check how those pieces fall into place. Itt wouldn't have made a huge difference but it would have looked better than what you see above . . . . those even just sitting there those Intercessors on the left were a pain. Lesson learned. Speaking of, Outriders that aren't in combat die quickly to Boltstorm Aggressor firepower. We called the game after my 2nd set of Aggressors came in T3 and killed off the Intercessors and started eyeballing the Biker Captain. Eliminators had him down to one maybe two wounds at that point I think. I was just going to kite the Terminators as much as possible picking at them with the Inceptors and Aggressors. I know Plasma Inceptors are the rage (I have 5 begging to be built and painted) but Bolter Inceptors aren't no joke. I bring 60 shots Strength 5 down T2 (+T3) at AP -2, with Bolter Fusillades or just Shrike, things go poof.

Just in Assault Intercessors are good. Boltstorm Aggressors still good.

Must get better at maneuvering in preparation for melee and learn melee related rules better.

• 3 weeks later...

Following are from a series of games I was either tutoring or OpFor-ing so buddy could test new models.

Against Sisters. Experienced player new army. I pumped the brakes after my first turn. Wanted to give them an opportunity to use each unit at least once. I'm leaning heavy into Gravis but Eliminators are really good action monkets for grabbing secondary vps.

med_gallery_7985_16096_440630.jpg

Great local player testing Silent King. I over-committed on the Sword Destroyers and he decided he needed to get more aggressive with the King. Silver Tide is scary but has to be played just right. Not enough units to afford maneuvering mistakes. Can't wait to see this guy on table again. Necrons my favorite army to play against for some reason. I want them to be "A" tier. They just might get there,

med_gallery_7985_16096_396904.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_371680.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_155162.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_361087.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_457228.jpg med_gallery_7985_16096_801610.jpg

We forced a fight at end of the game, so he could see the King in action. I had shot up his shields and several wounds on him, but it wasnt even close. *Warning to all Imperial Forces: "Kite the Silent King or perish."*

Last set of pictures from a great guy learning to play Blood Angels and 9e. This guy is going to be a shark when he gets his bearings. I deviated from my more normal competitive tactics to give him chance to test his units and he took advantage when and where the opportunities presented. Beautiful red on the Blood Angels and we talked about doing a Baal campaign when I eventually start painting my Tyranids.

med_gallery_7985_16096_133581.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_763550.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_309931.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_735039.jpg

Last couple games were fun but I need to shake my list up and get the 10 Eradicators built. These Gravis point increases are killing my builds and in the face of what Deathwing and Death Guard are bringing seem a bit prejudicial? Squeaky wheel and all that. I'm hoping eventually we get a Supplement that synergizes Raven Guard and Phobos units. Until then I'm going to keep pushing Gravis out there.

• 4 months later...

This game didn't last long but the opponent was first class. He just was caught off guard by the lethality of an aggressive RG army going first.

The Indomitus Lt and Assault Intercessors crashed into the 30 boyz, cutting them down and consolidating into the two characters that were right behind them.

med_gallery_7985_16096_181247.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_581031.jpg

med_gallery_7985_16096_247541.jpg

After those guys were gone I brought in my two units of Bolter Inceptors to take out the 20 Shoota Boyz and Gretchin guarding somw god awful 10 Ork unit that wiped out my Heavy Intercessors.

med_gallery_7985_16096_370825.jpg

Eradicators finished off The Bone Cruncher Battlewagon and Boss on Bike, while the Blade Guard surrounded the Trukk. When it died so did the Mega Nobs (?) inside. Next game won't be near as easy. Odds are I won't go first and secondly he now has irl experience what a RG Successor can do.

Edited by Dracos

• 8 months later...

Missed out on my RTT couple weeks ago because … life. This weekend there is an event that kicks off a citywide War of Faith crusade. The event is three rounds going from Patrol to Strike Force and I’m guessing a third of 20+ participants will be at the event. After my December debacle I was considering count as a Black Templar but I’m too much a snowflake to give up on my Warhawks. :)

I’ll be picking from the roster below for each of my three games.

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [100 PL, 12CP] ++

**Chapter Selector**: Born Heroes , Custom Chapter, Raven Guard Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

+ HQ +

Captain in Phobos Armour [5 PL]: Warlord

Primaris Chaplain [5 PL]

+ Troops +

10 Assault Intercessors [10 PL] Power fist

5 Infiltrators [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

5 Infiltrators [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

+ Elites +

6 Aggressors [12 PL]: Boltstorm

6 Aggressors [12 PL]: Boltstorm

6 Bladeguard Veterans [10 PL]

6 Bladeguard Veterans [10 PL]

+ Fast Attack +

6 Inceptors [14 PL]: Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [5 PL]: Las Fusil

Eliminator Squad [5 PL]: Las Fusil

++ Total: [100 PL, 12CP] ++

I have until Saturday to tweak it for the opening event. I keep thinking I might drop a unit of Bladeguard for regular Intercessors. It seems a number of things are easier to with Troop units. The four Phobos units are my action monkeys so that will probably stay the same?

I know the Aggressors aren’t everyone’s favorite but they had a fair amount of success in last years crusade and they are extremely versatile. These guys will use SftS a lot depending on terrain density. The idea is the reinforce the infiltrating Bladeguard in the midfield.

Only got to games in this weekend. One PL25 game against Orcs and a 50 PL game against Knights. Each game was determined by the Go FIrst roll. I MoA the Orc Trukk w/Shoota Boyz. Fought twice killing the Trukk first then the Boyz after. Game 2 was lined up against a beautiful set of Knights that were mostly 3D printed Battletech Marauders count as ... something Forge World Armiger with weapons I can recall other than they did D4 a pop to my Aggressors. I capitulated before my T1 turn began. They were pretty but I'm not a fan of Forge World or 3D printed models. I knew if I even tried to finish T1 was just going to get saltier and saltier so called it. 

In a "standard" Crusade game I have what it takes to handle Knights but walking into it blind there was no chance. I did take the time and watch a buddy Astarte player stay toe to toe with a Aeldari player (nice guy). I suspect that scale will tip heavily in the Aeldari direction as his list grows and get more use to all their rules.