1000pt, 1500pt and 2000pts Slow Grow League

bkde

Playing in a slow grow league at FLGS over the next few weeks.  First 3 games are at 1000pts on a 4x4, next 3 games 1500pts on 6x4 and last 3 games at 2000pts on 6x4.

Rules are that players may only use 1 codex to draw your army from and each size of game must use the same list, however relics/warlord traits may be selected before the game begins.

My 1000pt list is:

Argent Shroud Battalion

Cannoness (Warlord) blessed blade, inferno pistol

Celestine

2x 5 BSS w/combiflamer/chainsword on superior and 2x stormbolters

1x 5 BSS w/2x stormbolter, chainsword boltgun on superior

2x 5 Seraphim w/2x pairs of inferno pistols

2x Exorcist w/heavy bolter and exorcist missiles

Immolator w/immo flamers and heavy bolter

Game 1 was against Dark Eldar, mission Scorched Earth from Chapter Approved 2019.

Victory 17 to 2 for the ladies. Sacred Rite -  Hand of the Emperor. Litanies of Faith and Beacon of Faith for relic and warlord trait.

Things that worked well: Seraphim w/advance and shoot on a 4x4 board is great.  Exorcists with advance and shoot + cannoness support enabled me to hide them behind ruins to avoid being shot, then gave me the movement to zip around the ruins and get in position to shoot up his transports.  BSS w/combiflamers and stormbolters gunned down loads of kabalites. Celestine mopped up the rest.

Next two games at 1000pts are against Eldar and Chaos Marines.

Edited by bkde

1000pt Game 3 against Eldar (Altioc).

Opponents list:

3x Rangers

18 man Guardian blob

Farseer on bike

Warlock

2x Fireprism

Squad of 2 Hornets with shruiken cannons

Mission was Four Pillars from Chap Approved 2019. Victory for the ladies.

Next round of games is at 1500pt list.  Bumping up the list to include a third exorcist and another battalion.

Battalion - Argent Shroud

Missionary

Canoness w/inferno pistol and blessed blade

5 BSS w/2x stormbolter and combiflamer/chainsword superior

5 BSS w/2x stormbolter and chainsword/boltgun superior

5 BSS all boltguns, chainsword/boltgun superior

2x 5 Seraphim w/2x twin inferno pistols

2x Immolators w/immo flamers and heavy bolter

Battalion - Valourous Heart

Canoness w/power sword, plasma pistol and rod of office

Celestine

3x 5 BSS with boltguns and chainsword/boltgun on superior

3x Exorcists with exo missiles and heavy bolters

• 3 weeks later...

First game of second round at 1500pts.  All second round games are maelstrom from Chapter Approved.  Game was against another undefeated player from Round 1.

I played the list above, opponent was custodes with:

2x shield caps on dawn eagle bike w/hurricane bolters (one being warlord with 3++/reroll charges relic, 5+FNP and victor blood games, other with 3++ relic)

4 custodes guardians w/2x guardian spears, 2x sword/board

2x 4 sagittarum guard

Vexilor w/-1 to hit banner

Telemon Heavy dreadnought w/2x Arachnus storm cannon

Contemptor-Galatus Dreadnought

Mission was Covert Operations from Chapter Approved 2019.  Lots of ruins on the board, made for a really tactical cat and mouse style game.  Opponent managed to scoot forward on objectives.  I definitely screwed myself in the objective deck construction.  Kept drawing objectives on his side of the board, should have cut the deck down to 18 cards only and focused on maybe one odd and one even number objective.

Game end he had the Telemon dreadnought, and the Galatus left.  I had all 3 exos, canoness warlord, two squads of BSS.  Neither of us netted First Strike or Linebreaker, and killing both his shield caps (after he Shoulder the Mantled) managed to get me Warlord. Game went all 7 turns and ended in 14-9 loss for the ladies.

Probably one of the most enjoyable games I've played all year.  Missionary, Celestine and Blade Admonition/Righteous Rage Canoness worked to take out his shield captain bikes.  Immos were excellent distractions to tie up his Telemon dreadnought and worked as Martyr Immolation targets to get some mortal wounds out.  Managed to tag his Telemon turns 2 and 3 to keep his shooting to a minimum.  Seraphim did an excellent job of cracking his sagittarum.  The game was really lost in objective deck construction.  Looking forward to the next two games this round.

Second game of Second Round.  All second round games are at 1500pts on 6x4 table, maelstrom missions from Chap Approved 2019.

Played the 1500pt list above (lists have to be kept the same for the entire round).  Made some big changes to the maelstrom deck, cut out all objectives to do with objectives 5 and 6 to only focus on 1 through 4.

Mission was Critical Objective (shuffle one objective from discard pile back into your deck at start of round).  Opponent was Tyranids and one of the other undefeated players from the first round.  Deployment was spearhead assault (dawn of war, 6" up either side, 9" back from the center).

He ran battalion and spearhead, all Hive Fleet Behemoth:

Swarmlord

Hive Tyrant w/scything talons and venom cannon

Neurothrope (warlord)

Maleceptor

30 Hormagaunts

2x 3 ripper swarms

Haruspex

10 Gargoyles

6 Raveners

The Red Terror

Exorcrine

Harpy w/Heavy Venom Cannons

I won attacker and put the seraphim in deep strike, castled up in the bottom left corner with most of my army, then deployed one exo in the far right corner as a decoy/give line of sight to the entire board and screened out the middle with missionary and two squads of battle sisters.

He put the gargoyles, raveners, red terror and both rippers in reserve.  Piled most of his big stuff in the middle, then the Haruspex on the top right corner, Exocrine and Harpy in the top left corner.

Turn one:

Moved up my Immos, one as a target for his big beasts to charge so I could blow it up.  He popped the 2CP strat on his Maleceptor to reduce weapon strength for everyone being shot within 6".  Exo shooting was decent, but he managed to pass his invuls.  Exo on the far right flank managed to strip 5 wounds off the swarmlord.

He moved everyone up, as expected he charged my immo with the hive tyrant and haruspex.  Put his harpy danger close to my exorcist on the far right flank.  Shooting he popped the immolator, I Martyr Immolated to put wounds on both the hive tyrant and Haruspex, then deployed the BSS directly in front to block his charge range.  As expected he put the haruspex and hive tyrant into the BSS, killing them in combat.  He charged into the right flank exorcist with his harpy, and took a few wounds off the exorcist in exchange for five wound from exorcist overwatch.

Turn two:

I used the strat enabling me to fall back the exorcist from the harpy and still shoot.  Brought in the seraphim on the top right corner, popped the strat and put inferno shots into his haruspex, reshuffled some of the BSS to get guns in range and screen out my deployment.  Disembarked blade of admonition canoness and her BSS, moving up with Celestine as well.  Shooting brought both the haruspex and hive tyrant down to one wound on the left middle of the board.  Other shooting brought the swarmlord down to 4 wounds.  I then charged the remaining immo into his haruspex and hive tyrant, canoness into swarmlord with celestine and BSS support.  Failing to get past the swarmlords 3++ with the canoness he interrupted and killed Celestine...who rolled a 1...with a reroll...and died.

He charged the gaunts into my BSS/missionary and exorcist on the right flank, also shot and charged the exo with the harpy as well.  Maleceptor moved around and charged my seraphim.  He dropped in the gargoyles, dropped in one squad of rippers in the top left of the board.  Psychic from swarmlord/neurothrope killed my BSS engaged with his swarmlord but neurothrope took some wounds from perils.  He killed my BSS and Missionary, and locked up the exorcist. Killed my blade of admonition canoness and killed my immolator engaging his hive tyrant/haruspex.

This was a tricky move as I only had 2 CP left.  Options were to resurect the canoness using the strat (bringing her back with one wound as I only had one miracle die to burn) or to blow up the immo (killing his other hive tyrant and haruspex) and saving 1 CP for when I dropped in my other seraphim.  I chose the latter.

Turn 3:

At this point he was quite far ahead on maelstrom points, but with two exorcists and my seraphim I was still in a good position.  Moving I fell back my seraphim engaging his Maleseptor on the top left of the table.  Repositioned some BSS to keep my bottom left exorcist castle screened out.  Dropped in my other squad of inferno seraphim, placing the inferno girls to make his neurothrope closest, then popped the strat to shoot immediately.  He had three wounds left..inferno pistol that got through only took two wounds...Exo shot into the swarmlord, killing it, which then exploded and stripped the remaining wound from his neurothrope.  Seraphim that fell back put melta and krak grenades into his maleseptor, killing it.  Remaining shooting killed his gargoyles.  Seraphim in the middle right of the board charged into his rippers in the top right.  He killed my exorcist on the right flank in combat.

His turn he was running out of models, and most importantly was out of synapse.  Gaunts moved towards my exorcists/canoness warlord in the bottom left of the board.  Harpy flew right up close planning to charge my Canoness warlord. He dropped in the raveners and red terror in the middle left part of the board.  Shot up some BSS with the Exocrine.  Raveners killed a few seraphim in the top left corner of the board.  Harpy took some wounds off an exorcist.  Charges he put the harpy into both the exo and my canoness and failed some charges with his gaunts and his raveners.  Harpy took more wounds on overwatch but failed to kill my canoness, leaving it with two wound remaining.  Combat seraphim fighting the rippers did more wounds and rippers failed morale.

Turn 4:

I was starting to catch up on points, but he was still quite far ahead.  Seraphim with melta pistols on top right jumped up to shoot his exocrine taking some wounds off.  Other seraphim in top left hopped around to get some raveners in range.  Exorcist that wasn't engaged put shots into the raveners, killing a bunch of them.  BSS repositioned to put shots into the gaunts and charge them to speedbump them and prevent them from charging into my exorcists.  Canoness overcharged her plasma pistol and shot the harpy, killing it.  Combat I charged the exorcine to lock it down and charged the termagaunts with the BSS.  Killed some gaunts, and lost a seraphim to the exocrine.  More importantly, the Raveners failed morale and the entire squad was wiped down to one model.

He moved the red terror up to get on an objective, killed the remaining inferno pistol seraphim on the top left of the board.  Killed the BSS in melee and then consolidated to get the gaunts onto the objective and score supremecy. 

Turn 5:

Canoness and Exorcists repositioned, Seraphim fell back from Exocrine.  Shooting from seraphim killed Exocrine.  Exorcist killed Red Terror and Ravener, Canoness and other exorcist killed a handful of gaunts.  Exorcist and Canoness charged gaunts, killing a bunch more, other exorcist charged gaunts and spore mine cysts from harpy.  Gaunts failed to do any wounds to canoness and autofailed morale, tabling him.  We rolled at the end of the round and the game continued.

Turn 6:

I had a full turn of scoring, rolled again at the end of the round and the game continued.

Turn 7:

I had a full turn of scoring and only just managed to catch up, score linebreaker with the seraphim which gave me the win

Final score was 17-16 for the ladies and was a really, really, close game.  That many big beasties was a pain to kill stuff and get my miracle dice generation going.  Losing Celestine was a huge blow turn 2 as I was counting on her to do some of the heavy lifting against his beasts.

Third game of Second Round.  All second round games are at 1500pts on 6x4 table, maelstrom missions from Chap Approved 2019.

Played the 1500pt list above (lists have to be kept the same for the entire round). 

Mission was Confined Command (play three objectives, opponent chooses one to be returned to your hand and you have to select another).  Opponent was Thousand Sons.  Deployment was vanguard strike.

Opponents list was Cult of Duplicity:

Ahriman

2x Demon Princes

2x Contemptor Dreads w/havoc launchers and butcher cannons

4x 5 rubrics

10 tzangors?

5 Rubric Marine termies

Opponent elected to be attacker, he castled up in a ruin in his corner, I did the same in my corner.

He failed to score first strike, first turn I shot up his tzangors and a squad of rubrics in the middle netting first strike. 

His turn two dropped in the termies and shot up a squad of BSS, and popped his rubrics in using the cult of duplicity power deepstriking them from his castle to my side of the board.  Shooting killed an immolator.  My turn I dropped in the seraphim and blew up a contemptor.  Exorcist fire shot up his termies, leaving them with three models and put some shots inot the squad of rubrics he dropped in.  Celestine and seraphim killed the rubrics on my side of the board.

Turn three he psychic-ed down my seraphim, stripped some wounds from an exorcist, killed my other immolator.  I dropped in my second squad of seraphim and gunned down Ahriman, achieving slay the warlord.  Exorcists killed termies.  Canoness with inferno pistol and blade of admonition charged a squad of rubrics and in the middle of the table killing them.

Turn 4 he buffed up a demon prince and got of the cult of duplicity power to deepstrike his demon prince to my side of the table attempting to charge my warlord canoness.  Contemptor stripped a few wounds from an exorcist.  Remaining demon prince charged my seraphim killing them.  He failed the charge against my canoness with his other demon prince.  My turn I put exorcist fire into his demon prince on my side of the table, stripping some wounds but he made most of his saves.  And blew up his contemptor.  Canoness with blade of admonition charged his rubrics in his side of the table, killing two.  Celestine, battle sisters and exorcist charged his demon prince on my side of the board, stripping it down to two wounds remaining while he interrupted to kill my BSS.

Turn 5 he killed my canoness with blade of admonition using psychic powers, then duplicity powered his remaining demon prince to my side of the table attempting to charge my warlord canoness again.  Kept his engaged demon prince in combat and his only remaining squad of 3 rubrics hiding.  He got the charge off against my warlord and killed her.  Then he swung against Celestine, splitting his attacks between her and the exoricist.  Stripping some wounds from the exo and putting Celestine down to one wound.  In exchange Celestine killed his demon prince.  My turn I fell back my engaged exorcist from the demon prince/canoness charge, then exorcist fired into his demon prince.

Game continued on a 3+

I was down 16 to 14 as he had a few big D3 objectives and a 6 point cast all the psychic powers thousand sons card.  

Turn 6 he warped his remaining rubrics to my side of the board, hoping to shoot down an exorcist and net big game hunter and behind enemy lines plus a face down.  Unfortunately his face down was kingslayer and he rolled 2 points plus behind enemy putting  him up to 19 points.  My turn I gunned down his rubrics, tabling him, but only scored two points from cards plus linebreaker.

Game continued on a 4+ and I rolled a 1.  Final score 19 to 17 for the TSons.

Good game, super nice opponent but just can't shake the feeling of getting hosed by my deck.  Again.

Looking forward to the 3rd round which is rumoured to be ITC.