stynylrez grey seer alternatative

So got tired of priming white and then painting grey seer to then use contrast paints. So did a quick experiment on making a primer close to grey seer,  2 parts of stynylrez grey and 1 part stynylrez white gives a extremly close grey seer color but a primer also. So hopefully those that want to share a bit of time hopefully this helps.

If anyone has any othe suggestions please let people know.

Do you not have access to GW's spray cans? Both the Wraithbone and Grey Seer sprays are Primers, and do not need a white or black underneath.

nope, costs a small fortune to ship and if i can get them the air quality in korea often leaves it pretty bad shape.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

I've been using Stynylrez too for pre-Contrast priming too, it is a lovely robust primer to work with and lets me spray indoors when it's chucking it down (i.e. 90% of the time in England!). Currently, I airbrush from underneath with straight stynylrez grey (for shadowing), then a light top down spray of vallejo grey surface primer (very close to grey seer) with a final zenithal spray of stynylrez white. Given the translucency of contrast paints, I found a black-to-white zenithal a bit too harsh.

I'll definitely use the 2:1 grey to white stynylrez idea for the mid-tone, given it'll slot it nicely since i'm already using both anyway!

I've been using Stynylrez too for pre-Contrast priming too, it is a lovely robust primer to work with and lets me spray indoors when it's chucking it down (i.e. 90% of the time in England!). Currently, I airbrush from underneath with straight stynylrez grey (for shadowing), then a light top down spray of vallejo grey surface primer (very close to grey seer) with a final zenithal spray of stynylrez white. Given the translucency of contrast paints, I found a black-to-white zenithal a bit too harsh.

I'll definitely use the 2:1 grey to white stynylrez idea for the mid-tone, given it'll slot it nicely since i'm already using both anyway!

Please do test. I did a sample test the left (red) is grey seer, the right (green) is 2:1. You can see a slight difference.

http://imgur.com/a/99GDgHA

I was told this stuff responds well to being manually brushed on so I bought some but when I try I get bubbles on the surface.  Any remedies I can try?

t can be used by brush no problem. I do that regularly for crevice touch ups, re-doing areas that needed extra sanding etc. You do have to shake the bejesus out of Stynylrez when it's been sat for a while as it will separate quite badly. If you use it straight away after shaking, there can be some bubbles in it. Shaking it side-to-side rather than up-down can help reduce the amount of bubbles, or leave it a couple of minutes after shaking, or just put it onto your palette and moving it around a little to get the air out.

If it's not bubbled paint, but only bubbling up when going on the mini - and has been recently shaken - then it's quite likely to be mold release or some other oily surface contaminant on the mini. Always best to briefly wash the minis in soapy water (plus rinse and left to dry) after sanding/mold line removal/assembly but before priming to clean off any mold release, hand oils, leftover flecks of plastic etc.

Edited by Arkhanist

Okay I get bubbles when pouring it out into a palette which I kinda stir to pop.  Now I am getting bubbles when applying to the model even just dipping the brush in to wick up paint but this is even happening over paints.  The weirdest part is that I don't get this with red or dark grey Vallejo brush on primer but I get it with white or bone colored Vallejo or Stynylrez primers.  I haven't tried their black yet.  

One word solution to these problems:.........airbrush!

With airbrush you will get the thinnest, smoothest primer layer even if you're a airbrush novice. Way better than wasting time with brushing it on or spray cans. You can get a complete airbrush setup for around 100- 120 USD. In the long run, especially if you paint armies, that is a time and money saving investment. There are tonnes of airbrush tutorials on youtube to learn how to use it.