Unit of the Week: Repulsor Executioner

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Repulsor Executioner

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Repulsor Executioner?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices? How are you making use of the Aquion Optics and/or Auto Launchers?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Nb: Please note that the Repulsor will be covered in a separate entry

Personally I favour the Macro Plasma Incinerator over the Heavy Laser Destroyer. Whilst it has shorter range, it is almost equally effective in terms of damage output against most large targets and far more effective against squads of heavy infantry.

The combination of POTMS and Aquilon Optics means you can move forward slowly while maintaining rate of fire. This is important as numerous secondary weapons on the Executioner often need to be brought into range anyway. It also makes better use of the Transport capacity. Personally I would only put cheap squads such as Intercessors into an Executioner as putting an expensive squad into an expensive vehicle really is painting a large bullseye on the hull.

Whilst the meta has shifted slightly with the new Marine codices, the fact remains that most armies can drop an Executioner in 1 turn so it is best run with other armoured targets. Pairing with a conventional Repulsor works well and supporting both with a Captain for rerolls (Lt optional but certainly boosts the killing power). Then advance steadily whilst hosing the area clear of enemy.

I'd willingly trade this tank along with the repulsor for just one of the following to have in the codex.

Centurions

Thunderfire cannons

But if you are to play this unit in your list then you need to have something of near equal threat and durability on the board. Force the opponent to either take it to the face or get bent over.

A good tactic for the one I use with salamanders is I like using a phobos captain warlord to redeploy phobos units to screen or add threat elsewhere. Moving 2-3 eliminators and/or the phobos captain to now snipe down something important is good for that.

Also dropping some drop pods..I never use more than 2..can help block LOS plus you probably just dropped something like sternguard and some characters inside them.

Also in all honesty if you can double tap the laser and kill something 200+ points and it takes 2 or 3 turns to kill your executioner you definitely got the value out of it. To me it's used best in lists that can have flexible strategy. Dont count on it doing work..most of the time it's the ultimate threat to take out...so plan to take advantage of that. Make the opponent choose how he wants to get effed

Edited by Debauchery101

a fully kitted Repulsor Executioner costs just as much as a Land Raider Crusader+ multimelta and 1 techmarine...it has 16 capacity, 2+ save, can inflict mortal wounds on charge and can transport jump pack units

Not sure that is a particularly useful comparison. If anything, the regular Landraider is a better comparison for the Executioner as it has significant long-ranged anti-tank shooting. The LRC is an assault transport, you normally want to load it up with something deadly and throw it at the enemy.

If you want something to get a killy unit close to the enemy, then both the LRC and Stormraven are better but I wouldn't use the Executioner in that role. It is best as a fire support tank which also happens to have the ability to carry a small squad and character if necessary. Also do not underestimate the value of FLY and Repulsor Field in protecting the Executioner from assault. The big problem with the LRC is that it needs to be close to the enemy yet its firepower gets shut down if it gets locked in melee.

A couple of Repulsors (of either flavour) and a couple of squads of Infiltrators provide a screen that will seriously hamper any armies that rely on rapidly getting into close combat (Daemon bombs, GSC, Jumping Orks, other Blood Angels).

It may not be the most potent tool in our list and we may not leverage its capabilities quite as well as Iron Hands but that does not make it bad. You can build a firebase around the Standard of Sacrifice and screen it with Repulsors and Infiltrators and use our melee capability as a deterrent rather than our primary teeth (still run Captain Smash to hunt high-value targets).

I know my points breakdown example isn't a comparison of two similar units. I use the points to show efficiency. I whole heartedly believe most armour in Blood Angels lists is just nerfing your armies potential to capitalize on their HTH.

I have also started using 2 chaplain dreads with Las cannons.

2x Chaplain Dreads w/las cannons= 334

1x executioner w/all options and laser= 335

The chaplains can use the character target restrictions. Str buff aura, invulnerable save and FNP.

I dont want to poop on the tank but it's just in that spot currently that is just too expensive. I like some redundancy when it comes to roles in my lists. 670 points to get that with this tank way too much.

I have used this with blood angels with some success though. I ended up taking a 10 man death co Intercessors with auto bolt rifles. Had a sanguinary priest and ancient nearby. I just push it all up every turn but kept the tank at half speed for the double shot. It still died though. I basically just deterred any charges

Edited by Debauchery101

Apparently my playing only casually gives a very different impression.  I recently played a 1500 points match versus Thousand Sons and used an Executioner along side a normal repulsor and they felt so dominant the entire game.

The fact that they fly over terrain, are difficult to charge and have a billion guns was amazing. No doubt the match-up played into it with Tsons lacking lots of armor poping, but still those two vehicles alone wiped out more than half his army.  I was a huge fan.

I loaded the executioner up with 3 Aggressors that could pop out and counter any attempts to rush it, and the normal carried a 10 man intercessor squad to rush up and get those double rapid fire shots while laying down the fire on the way up.

Power of the Machine Spirit, flying, and sheer number of dakka make these things a win for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently my playing only casually gives a very different impression.  I recently played a 1500 points match versus Thousand Sons and used an Executioner along side a normal repulsor and they felt so dominant the entire game.

The fact that they fly over terrain, are difficult to charge and have a billion guns was amazing. No doubt the match-up played into it with Tsons lacking lots of armor poping, but still those two vehicles alone wiped out more than half his army.  I was a huge fan.

I loaded the executioner up with 3 Aggressors that could pop out and counter any attempts to rush it, and the normal carried a 10 man intercessor squad to rush up and get those double rapid fire shots while laying down the fire on the way up.

Power of the Machine Spirit, flying, and sheer number of dakka make these things a win for me. 

They can definitely be effective in certain matchups, especially in more casual games. However if you're going for a 'Take All Comers' list I'd say they're considerably less useful. Thousand Sons struggle with long-ranged anti-tank, so it's little surprise that they would be effective in that scenario. For the record, I don't think the Executioner is necessarily a bad tank, it is simply held back by a combination of its high point cost, 3+ armour save and lack of an invulnerable save. With the ready availability of long-ranged AP-4 or better anti-tank weapons for most armies now that the Devastator Doctrine is a thing, that's a serious issue. You're investing a substantial number of points in a unit that could very easily be blown away on turn 1 before it can do anything. With proper character support the Executioner can put out devastating firepower and will cause massive problems for your opponent. You just need to be ready for it to die soon, especially if your opponent goes first.

a fully kitted Repulsor Executioner costs just as much as a Land Raider Crusader+ multimelta and 1 techmarine...it has 16 capacity, 2+ save, can inflict mortal wounds on charge and can transport jump pack units

Which also get made completely useless if the enemy catches it in melee even with just a single Guardsman, making it a terrible transport, unlike any Repulsor variant which can just fall back and keep shooting.

That being said the main focus of the Executioner is not transporting. Being able to transport something is just a neat bonus, but its main focus is to shoot things.

With the Macro Plasma Incinerator it has better damage output but will be in range for all your opponents anti-tank so it will die quite quickly. Only go for that one if you have a bunch of other targets for your opponents anti-tank as well (aka heavy investment in an armoured force).

That's why I personally prefer the Heavy Laser Destroyer. It has enough range to be out of danger for the most part and still do decent damage. That way the opponent will have come towards you which is just perfect for your more melee oriented rest of the army. Just be aware of deep striking units with Melta equivalents (anything that doesn't wreck it the turn it drops the Executioner should be able to deal with by himself).

Regardless of what loadout you take though, consider casting Shield of Baal on it every turn. It's just too expensive to leave unprotected.

• 1 year later...

Which also get made completely useless if the enemy catches it in melee even with just a single Guardsman, making it a terrible transport, unlike any Repulsor variant which can just fall back and keep shooting.

That being said the main focus of the Executioner is not transporting. Being able to transport something is just a neat bonus, but its main focus is to shoot things.

This is not quite accurate anymore though? if your crusader is tagged by a Guardsman you can use one weapon to clear him off and then shoot the other guns. It's effectiveness is reduced, but it's not fully ineffective.

Ah, the joys of having a series that first began in 2017 and still isn't complete (No I'm not rebooting it!). We're going to get some bits of information which are out of date but for the most part they are fine.

... also I'm not entirely sure how that slipped the net :blush.: comparissions such as this don't offer any information at all on how the unit in question plays on the battlefield *shrug*

As I thought more on it, I thought about who I play with which armies they play, what they field, etc .... Yeah I'll get more mileage from the macro plasma incinerator, than the heavy laser destroyer .... but it's gonna suck when I roll a 1 on a 1d6 for how many shots I get, use a command re-roll and get another 1, or a 2! Hahahaha .....

I just got one of these! The only other vehicles I have for my Lamenters are two drop pods. I'm gonna fill it with either Eradicators or 5 bladeguard+ancient(chaplain maybe)

It's gonna be really hard to resist the D3+3 damage from the super laser. Also it wounds DE Raiders on 2's which is sweet. And of course the super range is great. And it's not blast so you can fire it in engagement range....

But the Plasma turret will be great for removing terminators and the like. Sadly, at "only" str9 it won't be wounding many elite infantry on 2's, but it does mean it's still a good answer to T8. It does have blast, which can make it even better vs infantry, but also hinders it if it's in melee. Although there is a strat it can use to fall back and still shoot.

Speaking of strats...you can make this puppy -1 to hit, 5+++vs MW, act on its top profile, fall back and shoot, make it -2 to be charged(which basically means no charging out of deepstrike), AND you can use the assault launchers strat to either force D3 MW's or turn off overwatch and -1 to a units attacks. Also as Blood angels we can make it auto-advance 6" with lucifer-pattern engines. Not the best for this tank as it doesn't have very many assault weapons, but it's neat. Pretty good list of tricks all told.

Sure, a 3+ seems weak for it's points, but T8 is great. And a blood angels librarian can throw a 5++ on it from 18" away and it can run off and do its own thing.

Also, it's a fire magnet. Which is great since I run elite footslogging infantry like bladeguard and terminators. And without any big tank targets on the board, my infantry ends up getting shot with the big guns which is what kills them.