Space goats post PA

WickedJester1013

Tzaangors got utterly shafted with CA and now with PA, they are still good but arguably not what the army wants anymore, they are still a powerful unit mind you but to make the most out of them  they require quite a lot of investment, DMC to teleport them 9" away turn 1 for that charge, potential re-roll on the charge as you MUST make it, very likely 2 CP to fight again, and very likely 2 CP to auto-pass moral to keep the problem for your opponent relevant next turn as otherwise tonnes of them would flee, probably now with the new strats all these CP are better allocated elsewhere.

For daemons, horrors can fulfil a similar role with less investment so they are a good choice, specially as they should~ receive something in the PA that'll feature them, the only downside with them is that if you're planning to run Tzeentch Daemons specifically and not undivided then the HQs (Fluxmaster and Changecaster) are now horribly overcosted, they reverted to pre-last CA2018 drops which I believe it's a copypasta mistake and it'll maybe be addressed if CA19 ever get's a FAQ, which atm makes going Chaos Undivided a better choice, and in that case point for point Plaguebearers are just a better troop options then Horrors even if they cover a slightly different role.

As someone who's never been big on taking Goats, I'm okay with them getting nothing in PA4.

That said when the 8th edition codex came out we all quickly realized that all we were getting (expansion wise) was goats, and a magic goat from hell called the Mutalith. 

So since PA4 has come and gone, and there's still no expansion to the codex in the form of Vanguard mini's, etc. It appears we have to wait for Daemons. (which quite literally could give us nothing for Tzeentch models aside from a Strat.)

I agree with deTox that the Cp requirement around the Goats is too much for me. I still use the buggers because they fill a role of being a big pain in the butt to your opponent's happy little gunline. They can never really leave a big gap because you will throw the goats down his throat. It's hard to make another unit do that, for the points, while still having a real effect in the game. 

Still I think I am tired of them. Plus I think it's 180 points or so minimum.

are you missing much of you drop the goats completely

My answer to that question would greatly depend on who you fight and under what circumstances (ie: Are they particularly susceptible to a turn 1 charge by a huge unit of melee tzaangors diving into combat from Dark Matter Crystal?)

Otherwise, I believe that 4/7 of the new RotD stratagems reward All is Dust units. As such, it makes sense to include more of them but if you enjoy Tzaangors already I don't think dropping them for more All is Dust units is particularly "optimal" in all cases. : ]

Fact of the matter is that Indomitable stratagem for +1 invul is pretty sick on a unit of rubrics who happen to have Weaver of Fates on them. That changes the entire dynamic for me: Instead of putting weaver on tzaangors, I might be more inclined to actually use it on other troops which is pretty significant.

Edited by Archaeinox