Daemonkin in Thousand Sons

Karhedron

I am a long time player but new to the Thousand Sons (actually helping my son build his army) so please be patient and don't turn me into a spawn. :wink:

Is there any way to field units like the Venom Crawler and Lord Discordant in a Thousand Sons army? They aren't in the codex obviously but they aren't in PA4 either. Am I missing something or would he need to run an allied CSM detachment to field these units?

I am a long time player but new to the Thousand Sons (actually helping my son build his army) so please be patient and don't turn me into a spawn. :wink:

Is there any way to field units like the Venom Crawler and Lord Discordant in a Thousand Sons army? They aren't in the codex obviously but they aren't in PA4 either. Am I missing something or would he need to run an allied CSM detachment to field these units?

Welcome over to these dusty parts of the forum Karhedron!

Unfortunately you're stuck using an allied detachment.

This has long been a massive complaint of mine. Many of these units would bring much needed added playability to the codex. Many had hoped the Ritual of the Damned would at least expand the current codex entries to include (some?) Vanguard units, but this did not come to be.

So no, unfortunately, you won't find those units in a legal Thousand Sons detachment. You can take a 'friendly' Tzeetch marked, detachment though and do it that way. 

It's unfortunate, but as Prot says Sons are a bit limited having not got some of the newest Daemon Engine additions. Another detachment is a good excuse to diversify your collection, access other toys, and conjure up some additional background - but of little help if you want to stick to Sons :( As noted, I don't know why this simple addition wasn't granted but perhaps next update?

Fortunately a starting out force can focus on the Sons units for the meantime. Maybe the roster will expand by the time you have an army together ;)

It is odd that both BAs and DAs have received Shadowspear units but Thousand Sons have not. :sad.:

Never mind. Thanks for clearing that up.

I agree especially since there's fiction in PA4 that points to Magnus preparing war engines, and his forces for all out war. I just assumed something as simple as... a Venomcrawler or even a Disco Lord could make it into the army.

Such an easy way to have made more money for them.

So until such time I play my Black Legion for the variety.