So Imperial Guard are going to be in PA:The Greater Good.

MrZakalwe

Threw together a list

Because I want to make use of the scion doctrines and the super heavy auxiliary tank ace I'm stuck with a giant brigade of everything else where I can't decided what RD to choose or which vigilus detachment

Do I want the Relic battle cannon or so I want to shoot my flat D:3 basilisk twice with twin linking and ignore cover :laugh.:

Have you tried a supreme command detachment over a SH aux one? Three HQs are pretty easy to fill. You could have it as tank commanders with Sundrance. Also, you could make that detachment have all of the useful tank doctrines, whilst the brigade could have more troop-focused ones.

Ah the classic conundrum. At least scions don't really need a Valkyrie to be effective.

What does your scion detachment look like? I can't decide which regiment best suits my build. It's going to be the basic support detachment, Tempestor and 2x10 man squads with plasma or melta. I'm hovering between Dragons for the extra range and nice relic pistol, or the Gorgonnes to make melta range drops viable. Although the Dragons' ability to rapidfire plasma past all those 12" deepstrike denial abilities sounds really nice.

I think I’ll try to give my infantry the +6” rapid fire range combined with additional hits on 6s. PEW PEW!

Gunnery Experts and maybe the +6” range for heavy weapons for my vehicles.

Will miss the relic of cadia and overlapping fields of fire though.

She does have the Primaris Psyker keyword. Giving that sweet +1 to hit to an infantry unit on a 6 instead of an 8.

You are slightly misreading psychic focus or I am slightly misunderstanding you. Smite can be cast multiple times by different units, going up once per attempt. The wyrdvanes know smite and 1 other power.

Looking at the Psychic Conclave, I take it that since Aradia Madellan has the Primaris Psyker keyword that the stratagem works on her as well, correct?

Yes I believe she does.

On that topic, I was thinking that extra casts with the Wyrdvanes was pointless as they only know one power. Then I read that smite is an exception to the psychic focus restriction. So you can cast two smites with a single unit right? These isn't some FAQ that stops that or something? I barely use smite as the psychic buffs are just so good for Guard.

She does have the Primaris Psyker keyword. Giving that sweet +1 to hit to an infantry unit on a 6 instead of an 8.

You are slightly misreading psychic focus or I am slightly misunderstanding you. Smite can be cast multiple times by different units, going up once per attempt. The wyrdvanes know smite and 1 other power.

Yeah I forgot they know another power, shows how much I use them. I think the last time was when they still came with the built in overseer model.

I am liking the idea of 9 of them with a primaris/Aradia. They don't cost that much and getting +2 to two smite rolls, plus a pair of utility powers, seems useful.

What does everyone think of 1cp to improve veteran ap by 1? My vets may see a bit more use

Great for Veterans with the Vigilus strat jumping out of a Chimera with a bolter, 5 shotguns and 3 flamers/1 heavy flamer (hopefully with reroll 1s to wound order).. I'm not sure what the mathhammer would be but tack in 7 more hits from the Chimera's double heavy flamers and that's probably just about enough to take down a typical MEQ MSU threat

Also, someone with the model please try out an "Ace" Deathstrike missile, it's absolutely ridiculous and hilarious having a tactical nuke crew be aces

Edited by zero88

I've been thinking about an Ace-Wyvern. Well stocked for refilling any dice for # of shots, combined with Vigilus double-firing with occasional AP -1 and ignore cover...throw in +1 to hit and Vengeance for Cadia/Aerial Spotters for rerolling hits and you throw out a pretty silly number of shots. Pretty cp-hungry, but...that's a lot of dakka. :D Edited by sairence

I've been thinking about an Ace-Wyvern. Well stocked for refilling any dice for # of shots, combined with Vigilus double-firing with occasional AP -1 and ignore cover...throw in +1 to hit and Vengeance for Cadia/Aerial Spotters for rerolling hits and you throw out a pretty silly number of shots. Pretty cp-hungry, but...that's a lot of dakka. :D

A Basilisk is way better doing the same thing. Since it already has rolling an extra dice for shots the flat 3 Damage Ace is nuts even without firing twice

Edited by zero88

Is there a consensus on how the scion regiments interact with vigilus detachment?

Also reading the furious charge strat, given that bullgryns have the keyword ogryn, does it apply to them?

I like most of what’s in there, just a little sad sentinels didn’t get aces, but they got good strats.

I've been thinking about an Ace-Wyvern. Well stocked for refilling any dice for # of shots, combined with Vigilus double-firing with occasional AP -1 and ignore cover...throw in +1 to hit and Vengeance for Cadia/Aerial Spotters for rerolling hits and you throw out a pretty silly number of shots. Pretty cp-hungry, but...that's a lot of dakka. :D

A Basilisk is way better doing the same thing. Since it already has rolling an extra dice for shots the flat 3 Damage Ace is nuts even without firing twice

The Basilisk and the Wyvern fulfill very different roles. I'm not going to shoot a Wyvern at a tank if I can help it, and I'm not going to fire a Basilisk at a blob of Ork Boys. Both examples completely waste what the gun is good at. So the comparison just doesn't work for me.

The full damage ace-trait definitely has a place. Personally, I prefer it on a Catachan Manticore, because that one is about absolutely maximising damage, which for me always means to put more shots into a target. I guess I'm weird but I never really rated Basilisks all that much. They always seemed to need too many CP to achieve what I can do with other units. Always preferred using Leman Russ against the type of target I'd shot a Basi at.

• 4 weeks later...

So the FAQ is there but Pask is still not fixed. If you wonder what I am talking about, he's not listed in the 'Named Characters' list on p. 142 of the Codex:AM. So, can he be given a Tank ace ability?

I don't think that anyone will let you do that. He's not listed in the codex in the named character points list, but his keyword is his name and he's a unique unit. Sly Marbo isn't listed in the named characters list of the codex either, but he is a named character.

Don't be that guy. Pask is a named character, you can't give him extra stuff.

What I'm more surprised is that they didn't restrict the Hammer of Substance and the extra AP trait. Might be the first example of a relic weapon being able to have its stats changed.