New AdMech questions

BaronBanana

There are next to now bad units in our Codex. Maybe Ruststalkers, but they got pretty cheap now so might be ok now as well.

So take whatever you like.

A lot of people will suggest Dakka Bots and Cawl which is effective, but pretty boring in my oppinion.

Dragoons are pretty solid and give you something to counter CC units or move up the board towards your opponent.

Onagers and the new tanks offer some big guns and are both worth it.

The transport can protect our squishy Skitarii, adds some speed to our army, can eat overwatch and is good against hordes thanks to 4 Stubbers.

Servitors have a pretty good damage output, but need some sort of protection.

Infiltrators give you a unit to deepstrike with and can be dangerous for nearly everything thanks to the high number of shots and attacks.

And so on...

Agree with DF on what he's said about most of the units.

The one thing I would maybe suggest though is to hold off buying too much until our psychic awakening update drops.

We still dont know how much that is going to affect our forgeworld dogmas/strategems etc (as well as seeing rules for these new units).

Obviously, you cant really go wrong with the SC set as vanguard/rangers and neutron/stubber onagers are no brainers/will make most lists.

The Skorpius Disintegrator looks to pack a lot of firepower for its price onto a chassis that can move and shoot without penalty and cannot be tarpitted in melee thanks to FLY. They are not the only source of heavy firepower but they are a good place to start.

...and cannot be tarpitted in melee thanks to FLY.

I agree with everything, but the Skorpis tanks don't have the fly keyword unfortunately.

Gosh! How did I not notice that? :facepalm:

Classic example of the rules not matching fluff. I read all about the anti-grav stuff but failed to notice that it didn't actually fly like the Repulsor.

I agree with everything, but the Skorpis tanks don't have the fly keyword unfortunately.

Classic example of the rules not matching fluff. I read all about the anti-grav stuff but failed to notice that it didn't actually fly like the Repulsor.

Actually you've accidentally just touched on the gigantic weakness of the army... you just have to tap it in assault to turn it right off. 

In my most competitive games I know if I cannot stop: Da Jump, Blood Angels, Possessed Bomb, etc from touching the tanks, it's all but over. 

I think this is why most people gravitate towards Tau for truly dynamic shooting armies that can't be pinned down. You need to get there and wreck them. If you simply consolidate into AdMech a lot of it shuts down. 

This is why (and I discovered this the long/hard way) the transport to me, is the biggest gain the actual codex gained from that chassis. 

The Skorpius Disintegrator looks to pack a lot of firepower for its price onto a chassis that can move and shoot without penalty and cannot be tarpitted in melee thanks to FLY. They are not the only source of heavy firepower but they are a good place to start.

It certainly comes in handy with the no-LOS weapon, but I still just run 3 neutron/stubber onagers. They do much the same job (anti tank with stubbers helping clear chaff), can move/shoot without penalty and have the 5++ inbuilt. 

And they cost way less in real life as you get them in the SC box :)

When you collect this army you will end up with a surplus of Tech-priest Dominus, Rangers/Vanguard and Onagers, unfortunately the SC box does lessen after the first as there are very few lists that use more than one Dominus. But it should be the first thing you buy when starting as everything in there is great.

On another note if you can get a copy of the Killteam Theta-7 Acquisitus you will get a good price on the Manipulus(HQ) and Sicarians(Say no to Rustalkers and embrace the Infiltrators).

KTFocusTheta7-Jan22-Box1yve.jpg

As others have suggested though, I would really wait until April to really spend all your cash on Mechanicus, the SC box is a very good start but we are getting ALOT of new stuff in April.

Grab a SC box and familiarise yourself with how "rewarding difficult" our models are to build :smile.:

Anyone else really thrilled to see what we get in Engine War? How many times has our army meta shifted in the last year?

Edited by Black_Knight

Actually you've accidentally just touched on the gigantic weakness of the army... you just have to tap it in assault to turn it right off. 

In my most competitive games I know if I cannot stop: Da Jump, Blood Angels, Possessed Bomb, etc from touching the tanks, it's all but over. 

I think this is why most people gravitate towards Tau for truly dynamic shooting armies that can't be pinned down. You need to get there and wreck them. If you simply consolidate into AdMech a lot of it shuts down. 

This is why (and I discovered this the long/hard way) the transport to me, is the biggest gain the actual codex gained from that chassis.

This is a problem with many tanks/shooty models. The fact that the primaris tanks have FLY is ludicrous,on a side note.

I’ve had success with kataphrons. They have such big bases you can really zone and screen well with them. Our regular infantry skitarii are very good but very squishy. At least they have an invuln and can take advantage of cover easily with their smaller base sizes.

Admech just has to screen as much as possible and limit the ability to touch multiple tanks.

When you collect this army you will end up with a surplus of Tech-priest Dominus, Rangers/Vanguard and Onagers, unfortunately the SC box does lessen after the first as there are very few lists that use more than one Dominus. But it should be the first thing you buy when starting as everything in there is great.

On another note if you can get a copy of the Killteam Theta-7 Acquisitus you will get a good price on the Manipulus(HQ) and Sicarians(Say no to Rustalkers and embrace the Infiltrators).

KTFocusTheta7-Jan22-Box1yve.jpg

As others have suggested though, I would really wait until April to really spend all your cash on Mechanicus, the SC box is a very good start but we are getting ALOT of new stuff in April.

Grab a SC box and familiarise yourself with how "rewarding difficult" our models are to build :smile.:

Anyone else really thrilled to see what we get in Engine War? How many times has our army meta shifted in the last year?

The killteam box, and the manipulus, are OOP. So barring luck, youre not going to find any. :/ Edited by Tyr13

I was thinking the same until I realised that as long as you need the Sicarans this is a great deal. I kind of want just five Rustalkers I can stick in the corner and shame until they make them useful.

Now what to do with the chunks of plastic terrain.

Edited by Black_Knight

I would be very surprised if he isn't, he has been out for so long now. I wonder when Daedalus will be released. 

That might be an issue - Daedy and X-101 are on the BSF/Arena heroes sprue (5 characters), not a separate character sprue like the Manipulus. So yes for the Manipulus, but separate release of those other two won't be likely.

It would be cool but kind of disappointing for me if they come out with a box set based on the releases and the two characters. I say this only because I hunted down both characters for a fair expense and I’m really hoping the new stuff is not in some Necromunda box set or something. 

This game used to be all about conversions and making things our “own”. Unless you love the mini Im sure a scratch built mini would suffice. Feels like some believe only the specific model is valid. Is that a tournament rule, or something? Is that an actual rule?

Some tournaments do WYSIWYG. Some require the actual model (and even, in Shrike's case, the official base decoration for LoS), but for most it's okay when the wargear is clear and base/model size is correct. I wouldn't mind, since the model is really cumbersome to get. I for one bought the entire BSF expansion and traded most of the other models, just to get those two.

It would be cool but kind of disappointing for me if they come out with a box set based on the releases and the two characters. I say this only because I hunted down both characters for a fair expense and I’m really hoping the new stuff is not in some Necromunda box set or something. 

There's this Arena game with just the 5 characters, but only in some countries. Since that is all on one sprue, GW might decide at some point to offer the 5 character sprue separately (like the cultists from the BSF expansion), but never sell the models completely separately from the others. And still - Daedalosus is desperately needed for AdMech, it would indeed be better for everyone if GW made that guy more accessible.

I was looking at getting that Combat Arena game yesterday and for the asking price plus shipping from the states I would probably have been better off just getting the whole Blackstone Fortress expansion instead. It's a shame since I don't play the game so I'd just have a large box of stuff I wouldn't use. I'm having to be more and more careful about buying large box sets of stuff nowadays.

Edited by Magos Takatus

Yeah, I found people to split with in the local store, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

One guy could use chaos cultists, one guy an IG psyker that actually looks like a model from this millenia, and everyone wanted the crusader dude. Still got that weird rogue trader...

This is a problem with many tanks/shooty models. The fact that the primaris tanks have FLY is ludicrous,on a side note.

I’ve had success with kataphrons. They have such big bases you can really zone and screen well with them. Our regular infantry skitarii are very good but very squishy. At least they have an invuln and can take advantage of cover easily with their smaller base sizes.

Admech just has to screen as much as possible and limit the ability to touch multiple tanks.

+1 on running breachers to screen.

i run 12 (2x6), they can cover most of the line. Hard to kill (2+ save with SS or PP in effect - AND can benefit from AAAC), and i can regen them. Combine that with stygies -1 to hit.

Plus they are actually dangerous in CC if setup right (prime hermeticon nearby), and their shooting is good against a lot of stuff (it can be surpsisingly nasty against vehicles if you get wounds through).

They are the one unit i really hope dont get hugely changed in psychic awakening as its taken me ages to paint up all 12 and dont wanna see that shelved haha.

Edited by DanPesci

Well I have a ton of Destroyers I don't use anymore. I don't know how people are still getting use out of the Vigilus Defiant stuff, but I found much more mileage out of other areas of the codex, especially the Skorpius builds. 

What I do miss is Katellans. 

I also put Onagers back in my list, and I remember why I pulled them in the first place. D3 Neutron Laser shots is just far too lethargic in today's meta.