Grey Knights: Giant Killers

L30n1d4s

I wonder if the new GKs will be the counter to several of the more dominant lists right now:

1 - Tau Riptide/Drone spam -- With more SB shots than almost any army, they can torrent down protecting Drones handily and then either 2 MW Smite or NFW the "naked" Riptides after that. Additionally, they can absorb lots of S6 AP -2 Dmg2 shots, thanks to their new Tides and Strats.

2 - Iron Hands Intercessor/Chaplain Dread combo -- Again, between lots of potential multi Dmg shots and the option for powered up Smite spam, they can get through this list better than a lot of armies and they also have mobility tricks (i.e. GoI, Dynamic Insertion, etc.) to potentially out maneuver it as well.

3 - Raven Guard Centurion DS lists -- Between Purgators overwatching at BS4+, very strong close combat options, and the ability to make their Paladins very survivable against a successful Assault Centurion charge (i.e. potentially -1 to Wnd and -1 Dmg, along with a 3++ on models with Sanctuary and Warding Staves), they have the ability to weather the assault and then beat the Centurions up at their own game in close combat.

I know GK are not suddenly the best army in 40K, but I think in the hands of a skilled general they might be able to play spoiler to some of these top tier lists.

Edited by L30n1d4s

Yes, smites will go straight to the Riptide. But isn't that the point after all? And 40 shots will easily break through all the drones. Killing them separately before going for riptide is still a better idea.

I think, match up against tyranids has become way better for us. They don't have good saves on infantry and their mosnters are often Sv 3+ 12w. Proprerly buffed Terminator or Paladin unit can statistically revome 2 Hive Tyrants with PBA (or get very close to it, since they have 3+/4++). Effects of shadows of the warp and other anti-psyker abilities can be negated by Empyric Surge now. Litany of Faith can reduce damage from stratagem and WT that trigger perils on failed casts.

I had limited success against tyranids even before PA. Most of their shooting is S5-7, AP-1 or -2 and D1, D2 or Dd3. Paladins can easily soak all this damage with Armored Resilience and Redoubtable Defence.

The main problem now will be pesky Neurotrope with Symbiotic Devastation. I think about using dynamic insertion to remove such targets.

I was doing very well against necrons even before. I can remember only a single game, that I've lost to them. They will just cripple under our psyhic storm and psybolt ammunition. 8 -1 2 and 6 -1 2 are almost perfect profiles to deal with their vehicles. Their infantry is pretty meh, except destroyers, which can be removed with Psybolts rather easily now. Final nail to their coffin (no pun inteded) is -1 to-hit in terrain that negates their weapon triggers.

We should be fine against any army, that relies on 2-3 big scary targets.