Iron Warriors and the newest CSM kits.

Canadian_F_H

On the agenda this year for me is to finally get together a battle ready force of Iron Warriors. I was wondering how everybody was going about using the newest kits for their IW. specifically the CSM squad, the Havocs, and the Terminators.

Everyone has their preferences, but i feel the IW are bit more conservative so some of the newer stuff pushes the slider toward chaos and further from the old legion look. But the scaling is better so i am personally not going to use any FW or the mk3 kit.

Anyways. I want to see what everybody else has come up with.

Edited by Canadian_F_H
Title typo

The Havocs and CSM I kind of accepted unfortunately. As for the terminators I saw a pretty cool conversion the other day of using plastic cataphracti arms on the new CSM terminators. And the Plastic Cataphracti are just a hair shorter, so a slight filler would bring them up to size.

For the most part I usually run obliterators and daemon engines, so the twisted chaotic look matches that theme.

Edited by Irate Khornate

I am definitly thinking i will stick with the plastic GW cataphractii for my IW terminators. Partly because i already started a build for my HQ based on the plasti cataphracti captain. The catas look so good as IW, Which will set them apart nicely from all my loyalists in Indomitus armour, and the newer CSM terminators which i will definitly use for the black legion terminators that will be Abaddon's body guardm. (not doing a full BL force, but i habe the new abadon and plan to give him 10 termi guards and a spartan, because reasons) Edited by Canadian_F_H

that is kind of where i am leaning right now.  i will just avoid the nastiest bits that i don't want to use.  As i get into it i may have to sub in bits from other kits or 3rd party, but i won't know for sure till i get there i suppose.

just looked over the new CSM kit sprues. and i have 2 thoughts,

<=(1)=>

the helmets are cool, but not what i want for my IW.  so, i need alternates.

<=(2)=>

there aren't enough Pauldrons that don't already have something in the middle to give everyone in the squad a bare pauldron to receive the icon bits i want to put on them.  so either i need to do a lot of scraping or i will need to get some different pauldrons from somewhere.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I've been mixing MK-III helmets, backpacks, shoulder pads, arms and weapons as well as ANY compatible bionics I can find and Death Guard bits into the new kits to keep my newer Iron Warriors looking like "Iron Warriors."

Also Plague Marines, if you have the patience to clean off the nurgle, make excellent Havocs if you want to use their extra weapons (5/7 of the Plague Marine bodies can be built without the pot bellies while the other two require some creativity).

On a side note, having started my Iron Warriors as a 7th Edition 40k and 30k army, the plastic MK-III marines were taller than the old tactical/chaos marines at the time of their release. So while the new CSM have longer legs, the MK-III's taller backpacks makes them practically indistinguishable in size on the tabletop.

On a side note, having started my Iron Warriors as a 7th Edition 40k and 30k army, the plastic MK-III marines were taller than the old tactical/chaos marines at the time of their release. So while the new CSM have longer legs, the MK-III's taller backpacks makes them practically indistinguishable in size on the tabletop.

Adding to this - a small spacer in the torso and the bottoms of the feet and some pouches/magazines/holsters to hide the gap and you'll be close enough to the new Chaos range. That's how I beefed up most of my IW infantry. 

I know you've sorta ruled out using the Mark III kit OP, but I would heavily suggest replacing a CSM box with one if you get more than one. It's just far too good a kit to not use for IW. Just bash it with the regular Chaos Marine kit and you're golden. 

If you trim back some details like the arrows with a sharp hobby knife, you can get them moving back to a mk V look. Swapping out heads, bolters, backpacks and shoulder pads would also dial it back as well. For my scouring era IW's I have old CSM kits mixed with SM ones for new recruits, vets are mk III, termis are a mix of all types all represented. New CSM kits don't fit the aesthetic I am going for for my force.  

For Iron Warriors I prefer more Horus Heresy style armour, mk3 (with some chaotic bits added like icons or anvilus backpacks) or even pure Tartaros terminators like this:

c9ce161332629467.jpg

Random aside, but is there any significance to red and/or red cloth on IW? 

I’ve noticed a lot of people’s IW have red accents or loincloths or capes and such. Red is a nice contrast to the iron, black, and yellow, so it certainly makes sense aesthetically... just curious if there is more significance to it than the eye appeal (like any characters in the lore who wear a red cape or such).

Red is used a lot in HH IW artwork for cloth etc. I use a more green-grey myself for cloth. I might use blue on my Spartan as a personal transport for my Warsmith, personal heraldry and all that jazz. Though red big capes and crests also channel that THIS IS SPARTA!!! energy as well.*

*Warsmith kicks defeated Custodes Captain from Imperial palace wall. Custodes Tribune appears, boss music starts as red cape flows majestically in the wind on the charge.*  :HS: 

• 4 weeks later...

So i have many of the chaos marines i need and all of the mk3 pads i need. I am uncertain about the heads i want to use. The CSM heads are a bit too chaotic. A few can probably be used, and a few more after a little bit of cutting and greenstuff perhaps. A few Mk3 heads would be good. I have been looking for other alternatives. I am leaning towards incorporating "crusader" helms such as the one worn by the IW character that GW still carries on their site.

I am open to suggestions of course.

And the hardest part might be putting aome work into the monopose marines from the last battle box set. They obviously have a lot of chaos elements that wont fit the rest of my army... I am thinking more and more about just setting them aside and getting more of the multipose kit to simplify my life...

Edit!

I would like to add that the FW IW heads look great and all the conversions of CSM using them look awesome. But at 21usd per 10 plus S&H that is a hard purchase to make for 30+ marines.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

You are spoiled for choice for IW heads-

Trimmed DG plastics heads, cut bunny ears off zerker heads, mk III, FW IH heads, FW DG heads, FW IW heads. Or you could use Mk IV ones to emphasise their mk V look. I would also change out the back packs for mk III or IV as well. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

• 8 months later...

This is something I too have been planning in my head.

If you run plastic Mk III and IV for the line troops and the new CSM kits for Chosen (or vice versa) to denote veterancy status. I have been thinking of rebooting my warband and doing this, and even trying to make a dual 30k/40k army.

This is something I too have been planning in my head.

If you run plastic Mk III and IV for the line troops and the new CSM kits for Chosen (or vice versa) to denote veterancy status. I have been thinking of rebooting my warband and doing this, and even trying to make a dual 30k/40k army.

For sure, also consider the new havocs as a base for power armoured HQ's they are big models over the new CSM as well. 

I got two boxes of Havocs and run 4x lascannons and 4x autocannons. I figure the Chaincannon syncs up better with "tactical" or chosen squads as the 24 inch range works with bolters. Also the -1 to moving still emans you get more shots than a heavy bolter does stationary.

8 shots at BS4 vs 3 shots at BS 3.

I got two boxes of Havocs and run 4x lascannons and 4x autocannons. I figure the Chaincannon syncs up better with "tactical" or chosen squads as the 24 inch range works with bolters. Also the -1 to moving still emans you get more shots than a heavy bolter does stationary.

8 shots at BS4 vs 3 shots at BS 3.

That is also my line of thought also. Except I favour half split havocs so the lascannons are not in one neat bundle for my opponent to remove quickly.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought some Havocs and I think that they can be kit bashed to match Iron Warriors aesthetic. Here's my take on new CSM.

e73cbe1368808363.jpg

They look good, though warning on clicking the pic to enlarge you may get some "spicy" ads if you are at work....

I mean, technically it's fitting since most Havocs tend to be Mark of Slaanesh :lol: