Iron Warriors and the newest CSM kits.

Canadian_F_H

On the agenda this year for me is to finally get together a battle ready force of Iron Warriors. I was wondering how everybody was going about using the newest kits for their IW. specifically the CSM squad, the Havocs, and the Terminators.

Everyone has their preferences, but i feel the IW are bit more conservative so some of the newer stuff pushes the slider toward chaos and further from the old legion look. But the scaling is better so i am personally not going to use any FW or the mk3 kit.

Anyways. I want to see what everybody else has come up with.

I personally use the Terminators as-is, with the CSM Squads and Havocs mostly the same, except with the addition of the odd MKIII, Forge World Iron Warriors, or Forge World Iron Hands MkIII head (for the bionics). I usually do this on Champions to show how ancient/senior they are. The current fluff between the Codex and Faith and Fury notes that Iron Warriors like adding fearsome gargoyle-like details to their armor and uses some of the current stylings in the color plates, so I personally stick with much of that and add the MKIII bits because that screams "Iron Warriors" to the average player. I also sneak in Phobos pattern bolters, chainaxes, etc. for the same reason.

The one exception to my use of normal Terminators  is my Lords and Sorcerers. I got some third party re-creations of MK1 Saturnine Terminator Armor, which I'll combine with GW bits to give them a really ancient look.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

I also do the gargoyle thing. I stick the ones you get from the CSM Vehicle upgrade sprue on Plasma Guns or Combi-bolters to make kaiguns and represent whatever the flavour of the month is or my list needs. 

Edited by Jings

• 5 months later...

I think using Plague Marines is a fantastic idea! Especially using them to be a unit of Iron Warrior chosen, so you wouldn’t even need to file off so many of the mutations. They may be a bit more fleshy than an Iron Warrior might be, and the fly ornamentation might be a bit much, but if they have mark of nurgle or slaanesh even it would explain away the tentacles and teeth.

They have the perfect armor mark. Really good idea

Edited by EnsignJoker

• 1 month later...

at the moment i'm kind of hoarding bits. I'm loving the newish havocs with the reaper chain cannons. but not buying 4 boxes for them weapons. the Forgeworld 30k ones always seem sold out so I turned to ebay. Plenty of bits sellers on there.  Or converting the heavy bolters with the barrels of the top mounted obliterator cannons. Some ity bity personal recast touch.

Not sure about the terminators. Still got a bunch of metal oblits from a few years ago and a crap load of terminator weapons. Never been a fan of the Chaos termies apart from the heads. In saying that a guy on instagram had a very nice squad made out of a deathguard Termie squad and a lord from the primarch kit. Replaced the Scythe with an axe

Chaos cultists ill be making from a few Necromunda characters that I have laying around and a box of arco flagellants

The rest of the iron warriors a mixture of old, MKIII and the new kits. Was thinking of adding some berserkers. Never been keen on the heads, using some EOS khorne something or others with the massive khornate symbols.

Loving the Disco lord. 

Got a Hellbrute from a box set from a few years ago think it was Dark Vengeance. It has a bit more of a oblit/hellbrute feel to it